Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: snyprrr on January 15, 2014, 10:12:17 AM
Well, I bought three cds simply for their mortar quality, but here's what happened with one- I had seen it used for $7, but then when I went ot buy it I couldn't find the listing, so I got the full price SACD- but when it came I was displeased with the SACD jewel case that I searched for the $7 normal cd, and HAD TO BUY IT (now that IS the clinical definition of CDCDCD I believe!). See how I already ran into problems with only 3 cds? Imagine if I had the financial clout some of you have, ay ay ay.

So, the "cd" of the "sacd" I bought should be arriving today. Anyone a Christian Lindberg fan?

Okay two things.
1. You bought CDs for their mortar quality? Are you seriously using CDs to build walls?
2. You bought a normal CD instead of the SACD because of the jewel case? You know there are replacement jewel cases for like $0.25, right?

Karl Henning

You returned the SACD, though, yes? (Do I even understand half of this?)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Peter

Quote from: mn dave on January 03, 2014, 12:23:13 PM2. Concentrate on the hundreds of albums you already own instead of buying new ones.

B-But the new ones might go out of print.  :(
Skinner: Tonight, Sherberts, oops, heh heh, Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.
Homer: Oh good, unfinished. This shouldn't take long.
Marge: Mmmmm.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Peter on January 16, 2014, 04:34:39 PM
B-But the new ones might go out of print.  :(

Exactly right! And the narrower your focus, the more likely it is to happen. You don't buy it new for $15., "the price will come down"  you say. Then, 6 months later, it is already OOP and in desperation you pay $35 so you don't have to eventually pay $85 at Any Book!  'Cause let's face it, you really can't live without it and you damn well know it!

That said, I piddled around for 6 months over Austrian Church Music by Concilium Musicum and moments ago I finally ended up paying $25 for it. I hate paying $25 for a single disk...  :(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Que

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 16, 2014, 05:20:59 PM
Exactly right! And the narrower your focus, the more likely it is to happen. You don't buy it new for $15., "the price will come down"  you say. Then, 6 months later, it is already OOP and in desperation you pay $35 so you don't have to eventually pay $85 at Any Book!  'Cause let's face it, you really can't live without it and you damn well know it!

That said, I piddled around for 6 months over Austrian Church Music by Concilium Musicum and moments ago I finally ended up paying $25 for it. I hate paying $25 for a single disk...  :(

8)

I know the feeling... :-[ But still, it looks like a rarity that is just your thing! :)

My own rule of thumb is never to spend more than 10 euros. But rules are to be broken, on special occasions.. :D

Q

71 dB

Quote from: Que on January 16, 2014, 08:38:46 PMMy own rule of thumb is never to spend more than 10 euros. But rules are to be broken, on special occasions.. :D

Q

I have price categories. I buy used Naxos discs for 2-5 euros, but I'll never be able to get J. S. Bach cantatas SACD on BIS for that. the range for those is 10-15 euros. Most "non-Naxos" and "non-BIS" CDs fall in between, in price category 5-10 euros (used).

The problem is if I can buy 2-7 Naxos CDs for the price of just one BIS CD, I buy a lot more Naxos (~500 discs) than BIS (~70 discs). Luckily Naxos' catalogue is much much bigger than that of BIS, but still there's a lot of BIS CDs and SACDs I haven't bought just because I can't justify the price to myself.

A decade ago I paid a lot more for CDs, 8-23 euros and I bought less. Since then I learned to save money online. The last "expensive" CD I bought from a local classical music store was Taneyev's Piano Trio, Op. 22 / The Borodin Trio / Chandos (23 €). That was January 5th, 2006.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on January 16, 2014, 08:38:46 PM
My own rule of thumb is never to spend more than 10 euros. But rules are to be broken, on special occasions.. :D

My rule of thumb is not to spend more than 3USD.  I only buy boxes...but have been averaging one a week for the last 8 months.  I literally listen to classical music every waking moment I can.  My neighbors have complained and the police came once...and I am still have around 1000 CDs I haven't even heard yet...
It's all good...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on January 16, 2014, 08:38:46 PM
I know the feeling... :-[ But still, it looks like a rarity that is just your thing! :)

Q

Yes, that's just the thing. And for a while, the only copies available were selling for twice that, so it is a bargain! That's what I tell myself, it's part of my disease to be able to justify things like this. At 62, I've gotten quite proficient.   :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

springrite

After the latest conference of the American Psychological Association, CDCDCD is still not officially recognised.

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 17, 2014, 03:14:35 AM
  My rule of thumb is not to spend more than 3USD.  I only buy boxes...but have been averaging one a week for the last 8 months.  I literally listen to classical music every waking moment I can.  My neighbors have complained and the police came once...and I am still have around 1000 CDs I haven't even heard yet...

I understand your system, but only buying boxes simply won't work for me...
Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 16, 2014, 05:20:59 PM
Exactly right! And the narrower your focus, the more likely it is to happen.

And I'm in the narrower focus stage of my addiction. Truth be told, I have exactly 2 Big Boxes, the Haydn one was a no-brainer even at $150. The Beethoven Sony 60 disk box was worth it even just for the 4 or 5 disks in there that I actually wanted.  In addition, it went OOP almost immediately after its intro, so I can easily sell it for 5X more than I paid. That's it though, not another box in sight!   0:)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: springrite on January 17, 2014, 04:18:12 AM
After the latest conference of the American Psychological Association, CDCDCD is still not officially recognised.

No foot in reality, those guys. More likely it is all women, who only make up a tiny percentage of the sufferers.... damn their eyes!  >:(

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 17, 2014, 04:19:34 AM
I understand your system, but only buying boxes simply won't work for me...
And I'm in the narrower focus stage of my addiction. Truth be told, I have exactly 2 Big Boxes, the Haydn one was a no-brainer even at $150. The Beethoven Sony 60 disk box was worth it even just for the 4 or 5 disks in there that I actually wanted.  In addition, it went OOP almost immediately after its intro, so I can easily sell it for 5X more than I paid. That's it though, not another box in sight!   0:)

8)
I consider anything 10 or more to be a 'big box'. Perhaps that would change if my biggest box wasn't 33 followed by 23. My suspicion is you would have more BIG boxes under my approach. :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

springrite

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 17, 2014, 04:24:55 AM
I consider anything 10 or more to be a 'big box'. Perhaps that would change if my biggest box wasn't 33 followed by 23. My suspicion is you would have more BIG boxes under my approach. :)

Length longer than width and height = Big Box

Gurn Blanston

Sometimes it can't be helped due to the fact that certain music is available no other way. For example, Haydn's Complete Works for Baryton come in a 23 disk box for which there are no alternatives. The 23 disks fwere never sold as singles and no one else has recorded about half of those works. So I don't consider that a Big Box as much as I would the Complete Brahms with 50 different performers, and all of the disks having been available separately long before. So I guess it is a question of strict, inflexible interpretation or realities. :-\  :)

8)

Brian

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 17, 2014, 03:14:35 AMMy neighbors have complained and the police came once...and I am still have around 1000 CDs I haven't even heard yet...

When the police came, what music was playing and how loud were you playing it?

springrite

Quote from: Brian on January 17, 2014, 04:42:07 AM

He put on 4:33 the moment he heard "Open up! It's the police!"

Sergeant Rock

Bruckner has gotten me in trouble. For some reason his music penetrates walls more than almost anyone elses...(or maybe it's just the fact I tend to crank up the volume for those glorious codas  8) )

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mookalafalas

I don't even consider 10 a box...that's just a fat two-fer. 
    The Rubinstein 144, Ma 90, Furtwangler 89,  Toscanini 107, and the Membran Jazz sets. Those are boxes!! Its the essential bargain-ness of them that makes them irresistible--and the fact that what they contain is so transcendentally beautiful.  I used to actually collect postage stamps!!  No doubt that sounds pathetic to you, and I don't blame you. It is even incomprehensible to me, now...

For those of you who have been at this longer, it makes sense that boxes make little sense.  But for me, they are miraculous, and I mean that in the most literal sense.  I am completely new to "in depth"classical music appreciation. If you do not envy me, you should.  Literally every day I hear something new that blows my mind.  I'm like someone who had been deaf and then had an operation, as an adult, that restored my hearing.  Every day it's like "that's the sound of the sea?!"  "Oh, that's what the wind sounds like through pines?!"  "sizzling bacon!"  "children laughing!" :D :D I'm incredibly lucky, and I know it.
It's all good...

springrite

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 17, 2014, 04:46:57 AM
Bruckner has gotten me in trouble. For some reason his music penetrates walls more than almost anyone elses...(or maybe it's just the fact I tend to crank up the volume for those glorious codas  8) )

Sarge
The problem is not the walls, but the neighbour's skull!

Mookalafalas

I was actually watching a video of the Boulez "Ring"--"Gotterdamerung".  I have a surround sound system in my living room. I didn't think it was that loud, but when I turned it down, I realized I was able to crank for a pretty long time and it still sounded pretty good.  The police were pretty confused looking. Probably not what they were expecting for a "loud music" complaint.  It was probably a bit after midnight--and I was drinking vodka ;)
It's all good...