Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 17, 2014, 04:56:54 AM
   I was actually watching a video of the Boulez "Ring"--"Gotterdamerung" and I was drinking vodka ;)

Wagner and vodka...a lethal combination  >:D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

I was actually watching a video of the Boulez "Ring"--"Gotterdamerung".  I have a surround sound system in my living room. I didn't think it was that loud, but when I turned it down, I realized I was able to crank for a pretty long time and it still sounded pretty good.  The police were pretty confused looking. Probably not what they were expecting for a "loud music" complaint.  It was probably a bit after midnight--and I was drinking vodka ;)
;D ;D this might be the most GMG thing that has ever happened on GMG.  ;D

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: springrite on January 17, 2014, 06:09:33 AM
Now, why does that image look familiar?   

Oh, yes, my EX...

I was just amazed Sarge had such a topically appropriate comic on hand.    When I first saw, my immediate thought was that he had just drawn it himself.

It's all good...

snyprrr

Quote from: Brian on January 15, 2014, 10:17:40 AM
Okay two things.
1. You bought CDs for their mortar quality? Are you seriously using CDs to build walls?
2. You bought a normal CD instead of the SACD because of the jewel case? You know there are replacement jewel cases for like $0.25, right?

Yes, so I got the cheaper, "regular" cd in the mail... and it too was SACD!!!  So, yes, the, this IS an instance of CDCDCD- a very disturbing trend!

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on January 15, 2014, 10:22:36 AM
You returned the SACD, though, yes? (Do I even understand half of this?)

No, I got a second SACD in the mail. I just assuuuuumed that the cheaper would be regular, but it was obvious that the guys at importcd just had to have a listen and re-shrink wrapped it. Oh the drama!

So, yes, now I have two SACDs >:D

And... yes Todd, I Am building a wall!!!

NJ Joe

I was actually watching a video of the Boulez "Ring"--"Gotterdamerung".  I have a surround sound system in my living room. I didn't think it was that loud, but when I turned it down, I realized I was able to crank for a pretty long time and it still sounded pretty good.  The police were pretty confused looking. Probably not what they were expecting for a "loud music" complaint.  It was probably a bit after midnight--and I was drinking vodka ;)

While in college (many years ago), my landlord once used his key to come into my apartment and then barge into my bedroom to tell me to lower the Eroica I was playing.  Fortunately, nothing else was going on in the bedroom.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

marvinbrown

2013 proved to be a disastrous year for me! I never subscribed to this CDCDCD illness BUT 2013 proved that I really do have a problem. It all started innocently in January 2013 when the old HMV collapsed.  So many great bargains to be had  I rushed to buy everything I didn't have....lots of Haydn, Messiaen, Glazunov, Vivaldi, Couperin, Ligeti, Baroque compositions and cello compositions etc. etc I even got the Barenboim Wagner operas for £45!!! I promise you I bought over 300 CDs in one month.  I said I am done for the year.  But then the unimaginable happened, an EXPLOSION of huge boxsets fuelled by the 200 anniversary of Verdi and Wagner at no more than £1.50/CD hit the market. Fearing that this was the end of the CD era I jumped at the chance to own all of Verdi on the Decca label 75 CDs, I snapped up the 44 CD mega boxset of Mozart's operas, benefiting from a 20% discount at JPC I bought all of the songs of Schubert 40 CDs (Hyperion) and Mozart's sacred works. Did I stop there? NO! superb recordings such as the Vegh Beethoven string quartets (for many years OOP) and the Mosaiques Haydn string quartets (quite expensive) were reissued at bargain prices....GRAB THEM I said before they go OOP again or become prohibitively expensive! Then I got addicted to the JS Bach organ works, I got a good deal on a used Peter Hurford set and I had to hear more so I bought the Alain III recordings.......and now 2014 I have my eyes set on this set....will it go out of print?........ should I rush to buy:

[asin]B003Z9Q4WG[/asin]

Diagnosis: Patient suffers from an anxiety driven need to collect CDs to no end.  But is this really CDCDCD?

I would have loved to see the expression on the Police officer's face! You should have invited them in and had them listen for a while.  I find Wagner intoxicating enough....did you really need the Vodka? LOL!

marvin   

Mookalafalas

Quote from: marvinbrown on January 21, 2014, 02:15:21 AM

Diagnosis: Patient suffers from an anxiety driven need to collect CDs to no end.  But is this really CDCDCD?

Heck no!! You are just a wise consumer who knows how to recognize and enjoy a bargain.  In a way, your actions can be described as frugal good sense.

Quote from: marvinbrown on January 21, 2014, 02:15:21 AM
I would have loved to see the expression on the Police officer's face! You should have invited them in and had them listen for a while.  I find Wagner intoxicating enough....did you really need the Vodka? LOL!

marvin
Actually, booze and Wagner work very well together. I recommend the combination--enthusiastically.

BTW, I have bought or acquired 3 large boxes this week (205 disc total,  Meisterconzerte 100 CD box from Membran, and the new DG Westminster box and the old Westminster Legacy Symphony edition).  This is out of control even by my warped standards.  I've declared a moratorium on new CDs, until I've at least listened to the stuff I have now.  Should take about 2 years ;D ;) ???
It's all good...

Brian

Marvin, I hate to be so unhelpful, but that Bernstein box is really really really good, and it is getting increasingly hard to find. I've found so many terrific performances in there. Sorry  :(

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

springrite

Quote from: 71 dB on January 21, 2014, 04:46:39 AM
You suffer from OOPhobia.  ;)

CDCDCD is the perfect cure for OOPhobia, as we all know.

One magabox of prevention is worth ... Oh, I don't know how best to put it, but you know what I mean!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

marvinbrown

Quote from: 71 dB on January 21, 2014, 04:46:39 AM
You suffer from OOPhobia.  ;)

What is OOphobia?

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2014, 04:45:56 AM
Marvin, I hate to be so unhelpful, but that Bernstein box is really really really good, and it is getting increasingly hard to find. I've found so many terrific performances in there. Sorry  :(

Oh dear, Brian what are you doing to me. You know I have been hiding shrink wrapped CDs from loved ones. I mean how can I justify buying more when there is so much sitting on my desk, shelves and cupboards unheard?

But I am tempted by that Bernstein symphony edition.

kishnevi

Quote from: marvinbrown on January 21, 2014, 09:49:33 AM
  What is OOphobia?
Out Of Print phobia, I'm presuming.
  Oh dear, Brian what are you doing to me. You know I have been hiding shrink wrapped CDs from loved ones. I mean how can I just buying more when there is so much sitting on my desk, shelves and cupboards unheard?
Take them out of the shrink wrap right away; that way they won't be able to differentiate the new from the old  >:D
  But I am tempted by that Bernstein symphony edition.
With me it's more a question of when rather than if.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 21, 2014, 02:39:44 AM
      Actually, booze and Wagner work very well together.

There's someone who listens to Wagner unprotected without booze?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

marvinbrown

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 21, 2014, 09:58:43 AM
Out Of Print phobia, I'm presuming.Take them out of the shrink wrap right away; that way they won't be able to differentiate the new from the old  >:DWith me it's more a question of when rather than if.

Well its price is on the rise at amazon.com and I fear the worst...out of print.....I guess I really do have out of print phobia!

marvin

71 dB

The first month of the year is almost over and I haven't bought any classical CDs yet. I'm really trying to cut down buying classical music and instead listen to those houndreds of discs I own.

Five non-classical CDs bougth this year so far.

Quote from: marvinbrown on January 21, 2014, 10:58:38 AM
I guess I really do have out of print phobia!

marvin

I don't get these limited releases. If they think they won't sell a lot, why release them at all? Just to piss of people like you?  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"