Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

My January 5 resolution to go the rest of the year without buying anything is doing remarkably well. So far, have only had the desire to add something to the cart once or twice. I often find myself compulsively visiting ArkivMusic and Presto and thinking "nah...don't want any of this stuff."

It feels a lot like dieting and losing weight, honestly. But if that's the case, right now I'm not even tempted by all the donuts. It feels really, really good.  8) 0:)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2014, 04:16:00 PM
My January 5 resolution to go the rest of the year without buying anything is doing remarkably well. So far, have only had the desire to add something to the cart once or twice. I often find myself compulsively visiting ArkivMusic and Presto and thinking "nah...don't want any of this stuff."

It feels a lot like dieting and losing weight, honestly. But if that's the case, right now I'm not even tempted by all the donuts. It feels really, really good.  8) 0:)
Actually, it's more like just using up what's in the pantry instead of going out to the new restaurant all the time.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mookalafalas

Once you get the sugar out of your system and your insulin production stabilizes, sugar cravings go away.  So the same thing happens with CDCDCD? Maybe I have to man up bit (I ordered 4 boxes yesterday from ImportCD--Cortot 40 CD, the Living Stereo II, Colin Davis complete Berlioz, Klemperer Romantic Symphonies box).
  BUT, something in your last sentence stinks of desperation.  I think you are cracking. I give you 10 more days, tops >:D
It's all good...

Brian

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 13, 2014, 07:26:07 PM
  Once you get the sugar out of your system and your insulin production stabilizes, sugar cravings go away.  So the same thing happens with CDCDCD? Maybe I have to man up bit (I ordered 4 boxes yesterday from ImportCD--Cortot 40 CD, the Living Stereo II, Colin Davis complete Berlioz, Klemperer Romantic Symphonies box).
  BUT, something in your last sentence stinks of desperation.  I think you are cracking. I give you 10 more days, tops >:D

Well the Colin Davis Berlioz set IS right at the very top of my wishlist, so I just looked for it on ImportCDs. But the one I want is the Decca box, and they don't seem to have that one.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2014, 07:37:25 PM
Well the Colin Davis Berlioz set IS right at the very top of my wishlist, so I just looked for it on ImportCDs. But the one I want is the Decca box, and they don't seem to have that one.

Good God, you scared the heck out of me. thought I got the wrong one. My bad, I ordered from UK Amazon ;)  I do love Import CD, however, and usually order from them.
It's all good...

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2014, 07:37:25 PM

The Decca box is only 13 CDs--does that really count?

I've found a few unexpected lacuna in ImportCDs listings: they don't seem to have the Sony Ligeti box, which I just ordered off of AmazonUK,  nor the Complete Beatles box.  And they've raised their prices recently, I think: the EMI Eminence box went up almost $15 not long ago,  meaning I'm not going to order it anytime soon.  I almost pulled the trigger on that one, too, before they upped the price.

Mirror Image

There is no cure for CDCDCD, gentlemen. Just when you think you've made some miraculous breakthrough, you haven't. Just when you think you see that shimming light at the end of the tunnel, you haven't. Just when you feel a weight has been lifted off your shoulders, it hasn't. Now, give into your dark master. ;D

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2014, 07:49:50 PM
There is no cure for CDCDCD, gentlemen. Just when you think you've made some miraculous breakthrough, you haven't. Just when you think you see that shimming light at the end of the tunnel, you haven't. Just when you feel a weight has been lifted off your shoulders, it hasn't. Now, give into your dark master. ;D
Sing to me my angel of [recorded] music!

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 13, 2014, 07:42:13 PM
  Good God, you scared the heck out of me. thought I got the wrong one. My bad, I ordered from UK Amazon ;)  I do love Import CD, however, and usually order from them.
You can't go wrong with having both the LSO Live and the Decca set.
>:D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 17, 2014, 04:50:56 AM

For those of you who have been at this longer, it makes sense that boxes make little sense.  But for me, they are miraculous, and I mean that in the most literal sense.  I am completely new to "in depth"classical music appreciation. If you do not envy me, you should.  Literally every day I hear something new that blows my mind.  I'm like someone who had been deaf and then had an operation, as an adult, that restored my hearing.  Every day it's like "that's the sound of the sea?!"  "Oh, that's what the wind sounds like through pines?!"  "sizzling bacon!"  "children laughing!" :D :D I'm incredibly lucky, and I know it.

I remember, barely. I recall I discovered R Strauss and Sibelius on the same day.
Wait till you discover Josquin my friend, or Palestrina. But for those you must have more modern performances, and the boxes are thinner.
Were I starting out, it'd be boxes boxes boxes.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 13, 2014, 08:34:55 PM
I remember, barely. I recall I discovered R Strauss and Sibelius on the same day.
Wait till you discover Josquin my friend, or Palestrina. But for those you must have more modern performances, and the boxes are thinner.
Were I starting out, it'd be boxes boxes boxes.

Amazing coincidence, I'm listening to Strauss's "Domestic Symphony" right now, for the first time, from the 1st living stereo box! I've played (tried to play?) some of his opera stuff before, but I am "discovering" him right now, more or less ;D

Surprisingly, I have a smattering of Josquin and Palestrina from a foray into a classical a few years ago.  At that time I was mostly Jazz, ambient, and classic Rock and was just dipping my toes, so to speak, into classical, and only listening on PC speakers.  I mainly listened to Glenn Gould's Bach and stuff stuff I kept in a folder on my hard drive called "pre-baroque".   I worked about a third of the way through a history of music textbook with accompanying CDs. I don't think I even made it half way through the 18th century, but did enjoy vocal church music, much to my surprise. I need to get back to that stuff! Thanks for reminding me :D
It's all good...

mn dave

If I posted a resolution here, I already done effed it up big time.  ;D

snyprrr

Quote from: mn dave on February 14, 2014, 08:14:07 AM
If I posted a resolution here, I already done effed it up big time.  ;D

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, you're only a day awaaay!"

mn dave

I have a $305 iTunes credit burning a cyber-hole in my pocket.

Pat B

My resolution is to make that sort of resolution next year. But I do have a bad case of OOPhobia.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2014, 07:49:50 PM

There is a cure, but I admit it is drastic: give in completely! Just surrender. Once you have everything, your CDCDCD will be cured :P There is a similar problem in photography, GAS--Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Admittedly, There are only about 15 top lenses for any given kind of camera, but 10K+ worthwhile CDs...it might be lengthier to cure this disease by satisfying its primary symptom.  I ordered the Erato and EMI Eminence boxes last night. I'm helped by my utter hatred of jewel cases. I just have to get all the boxes and I'll be cured (til the next box comes out :'().
It's all good...

Ken B

BBoy: "I'll be cured (til the next box comes out )."

You might not wait long. CNBC is reporting that Sony, Polygram, and Warner are all shuttering their classical divisions within days. Not sure about Brilliant.

Those of you who gasped in horror, saw your life flash before your eyes, or cried out NOOOOO, you are all incurable!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 14, 2014, 03:42:27 PM
  There is a cure, but I admit it is drastic: give in completely! Just surrender. Once you have everything, your CDCDCD will be cured :P There is a similar problem in photography, GAS--Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Admittedly, There are only about 15 top lenses for any given kind of camera, but 10K+ worthwhile CDs...it might be lengthier to cure this disease by satisfying its primary symptom.  I ordered the Erato and EMI Eminence boxes last night. I'm helped by my utter hatred of jewel cases. I just have to get all the boxes and I'll be cured (til the next box comes out :'().

You're one sick individual, but that's why we're here. We're all sick! :)

Jay F

Quote from: Ken B on February 14, 2014, 04:54:15 PM
CNBC is reporting that Sony, Polygram, and Warner are all shuttering their classical divisions within days.

Link?