Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jut1972

Well that resolution has gone tits up in the last week....

1 new classical music book.
1 single Cd
1 small box set
1 medium box set
1 big box set
1 set of concert tickets

do the tickets and book count?  Are they gateway drugs to the CD hard stuff?

Ken B

I recently moved, so I had to box them all, and unbox. I put all the stuff still in shrinkwrap or never listed to on a shelf. 5 feet. Including several clamshell boxes.  5 feet of untouched newness.
And I haven't unpacked it all yet. 8 cubic feet yet to unpack.

Plus I have several boxes on order, big ones.

Am I cured? No. But I am going to make a real effort to live vicariously through Baklavaboy for a while!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 15, 2014, 12:44:22 PM
Am I cured? No. But I am going to make a real effort to live vicariously through Baklavaboy for a while!

Dude, I have moved into critical condition. I ordered the Erato 50 disc box and EMI eminence two nights ago, and bought the Archiv set yesterday.  I actually ordered the Solti complete Wagner operas, two Argerich mini boxes and a Berezovsky 10 cd set from Amazon last night, but then turned around and cancelled it all. I was pleasantly inebriated-- fresh-squeezed orange juice screwdrivers and Scotch, and had just gotten back from an all-you-can eat barbecue and Haagen-Daz restaurant and was feeling exceedingly...positive.  The local shop has the new Haitink Decca box for about $75.  It's hard to stop thinking about it...I also haven't gotten the Decca Analogue years yet. ??? ???
It's all good...

Ken B

Brian

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 15, 2014, 04:57:02 PM
  Dude, I have moved into critical condition. I ordered the Erato 50 disc box and EMI eminence two nights ago, and bought the Archiv set yesterday.  I actually ordered the Solti complete Wagner operas, two Argerich mini boxes and a Berezovsky 10 cd set from Amazon last night, but then turned around and cancelled it all. I was pleasantly inebriated-- fresh-squeezed orange juice screwdrivers and Scotch, and had just gotten back from an all-you-can eat barbecue and Haagen-Daz restaurant and was feeling exceedingly...positive.  The local shop has the new Haitink Decca box for about $75.  It's hard to stop thinking about it...I also haven't gotten the Decca Analogue years yet. ??? ???

Why don't you just forward me a couple of your paychecks.  :D

Out of curiosity, and since there's no other logical place: what would you say are the top 3-5 gigantic box sets you've gotten for consistent quality and enjoyment?

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on February 15, 2014, 07:54:19 PM

Out of curiosity, and since there's no other logical place: what would you say are the top 3-5 gigantic box sets you've gotten for consistent quality and enjoyment?

For me the DHM Anniversary box is the best, easily. Lumieres box, HM anniversary, Decca Sound, and Vivarte.
Most disappointing is DG 111. I ended up selling mine.

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on February 15, 2014, 08:13:18 PM
For me the DHM Anniversary box is the best, easily. Lumieres box, HM anniversary, Decca Sound, and Vivarte.

Thanks! For me I've had nothing but joy from the Brilliant Classics Russian Legends trove (100 CDs of live broadcasts) and Bernstein Symphony Edition, and so far the Rubinstein box has been a pleasure too. The Vivarte is on my wishlist, and Decca Sound has been considered off and on.

In jazz, the Perfect Jazz Collection has been a steady companion.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on February 15, 2014, 07:54:19 PM

You already have most of the kings, I think. The Bernstein, Rubinstein, and Perahia boxes are all consistently good for great prices.  As a noob using the boxes as a grab bags introducing me to a lot of stuff I probably wouldn't have encountered, however, I vote for these two:

[asin]B00AOTZ156[/asin]

[asin]B00EDXJQ1Y[/asin]

I also have pretty low tolerance for "historical" quality recordings, and both these boxes have very high standards on the engineering side.  The Decca, Phillips, Living Stereo boxes are all top notch, but I think people know what they are getting with those--probably not a lot of surprises.  I really thing the Mercury boxes are wonderful, too, but the swathe is going to be way too wide for any one person--a lot of strange things that don't really fall on the classical path in most people's minds.
  One that was never very talked about but is both very well executed (except for the stupid name) and at high standards is:
[asin]B004TVVZI2[/asin]
   I got mine very reasonably.  The DG version might be equally good.

Here is one that is very cheap, full of random goodies, and with very acceptable (but somewhat historical) sound:
[asin]B001G8P3KM[/asin]
It's all good...

Ken B

To answer BBoy's Question, the DG Liszt box is first rate. So is the Brahms box. And the Schubert lieder ...

I simply must stop buying stuff!

Mookalafalas

By the way, the original Harmonia Mundi 50 CD box is OOP, but they released a mini version (25CD) which I think is available for about $50. 
It's all good...

listener

If I try hard, I may pay off my MasterCard in three years.   That will free up a wad of cash from the accrued interest that I can make purchases with.  Main rule: order through my local retail (except for the unmatchable or unavailable) and pay cash.  I too have several shrink-wrapped boxes (Briliant's Haydn and Tchaikowsky leading the pack of yet unheard discs.)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 15, 2014, 09:35:56 PM
By the way, the original Harmonia Mundi 50 CD box is OOP, but they released a mini version (25CD) which I think is available for about $50.

I posted it from Amazon ca a while ago at under 30.

jut1972

Quote from: Ken B link=topic=15426.msg777154#msgdate=1392527598

The first DG 111 box is my number 1 choice and the first box I display if I'm rearranging things!   

The Chandos 30 and first Decca sound boxes other good ones.

Ken B

Too many recitals in the 111 box. I had dupes of some of the stuff. And I sold mine for a small profit anyway :)
I just bought the EMI Verdi superbox. At $48 how could I say no. Zoverstock at Amazon.
Agree about Chandos -- interesting repertoire.

snyprrr

wow, major flare up of CDCDCD this for the forum, mm mm mm

I miss getting things in the mail, waaah!
Quote from: jut1972 on February 15, 2014, 11:59:45 AM
Well that resolution has gone tits up in the last week....

1 new classical music book.
1 single Cd
1 small box set
1 medium box set
1 big box set
1 set of concert tickets

do the tickets and book count?  Are they gateway drugs to the CD hard stuff?

You're trying to hide CDCDCD by buying OTHER things... mm... yes, I'd say it's like the alcoholic changing brands. Buy 3 Box Sets and call me in the morning. If you're starting to buy OTHER stuff you should aggressively buy MORE Box Sets of CDs so that you won't just start buying and think you're cured. Did that make ANY sense? No, not to me either!

I bought two inflatable palm trees for the band. I can tell you that was NOT CDCDCD- I got NO actual pleasure- pleasure being the lynch-pin (?) of the act.

If you're not having an anti-gasm, it can't be CDCDCD.

I do what I can here, it's a bloodbath. ???

Ken B

I came to my senses and cancelled the big Davis RCA box.

But first I ordered the Verdi box. We won't discuss that! I'm scoring this a win.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 16, 2014, 11:43:24 AM
I came to my senses and cancelled the big Davis RCA box.

But first I ordered the Verdi box. We won't discuss that! I'm scoring this a win.

:laugh: :laugh:
   And the Verdi is twice the price of the Davis, right? A few more wins like that and you'll be hanging out with Brian in soup kitchen.
It's all good...

Mirror Image

After today's spending spree, I'm going to have to take a break for awhile.

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 16, 2014, 03:14:49 PM
:laugh: :laugh:
   And the Verdi is twice the price of the Davis, right? A few more wins like that and you'll be hanging out with Brian in soup kitchen.

Hehehe. No though, as I posted over in SDCB, it's 48 bucks. Verdi is THE big gap in my collection and musical habits. I have only what came in megaboxes and doubt I have listened to 20 hours of Verdi total in the past 10 years.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2014, 03:58:15 PM
After today's spending spree, I'm going to have to take a break for awhile.

Didn't some smart fellow say, Gentleman there is no cure, just when you think you've mastered it, you haven't. Just when you think ...

Just asking!