Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on February 16, 2014, 04:09:48 PM
Didn't some smart fellow say, Gentleman there is no cure, just when you think you've mastered it, you haven't. Just when you think ...

Just asking!

Well sure absolutely, but I never admitted to being cured. I simply stated I would be taking a break for awhile, but I'm still a freakin' rabid CDCDCD dog!!! ;D It's like a rash that won't go away. :)

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2014, 04:11:49 PM
Well sure absolutely, but I never admitted to being cured. I simply stated I would be taking a break for awhile, but I'm still a freakin' rabid CDCDCD dog!!! ;D It's like a rash that won't go away. :)

There is no cure, and a break is like a truce in the middle east--it is otherwise called "re-loading time".
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 16, 2014, 04:06:46 PM
Hehehe. No though, as I posted over in SDCB, it's 48 bucks. Verdi is THE big gap in my collection and musical habits. I have only what came in megaboxes and doubt I have listened to 20 hours of Verdi total in the past 10 years.

Oh, OK, the little Verdi cube.  I thought you meant the big, complete Verdi. That's pretty reasonable, then.  Still sounds more like a draw than a win, though.
It's all good...

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on February 16, 2014, 04:13:47 PM
There is no cure, and a break is like a truce in the middle east--it is otherwise called "re-loading time".

That's so true, Paul. There is no cure! Sorry folks! :)

springrite

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 16, 2014, 04:18:13 PM
  Oh, OK, the little Verdi cube.  I thought you meant the big, complete Verdi. That's pretty reasonable, then.  Still sounds more like a draw than a win, though.
Sometimes the first draw after going without a win for a long time does feel like a win, though.

Ken B

Quote from: springrite on February 16, 2014, 04:22:46 PM
Sometimes the first draw after going without a win for a long time does feel like a win, though.

Sometimes any day above ground is a win!

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 16, 2014, 04:18:13 PM

It just struck me now. 35 cds, he calls it the "small" cube and I think, yes the small cube! Without hesitation. It's like 40 - 50 vinyl records! The small cube I mean, not the itsy bitsy 14 cd Abbado box.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 16, 2014, 05:13:50 PM
It just struck me now. 35 cds, he calls it the "small" cube and I think, yes the small cube! Without hesitation. It's like 40 - 50 vinyl records! The small cube I mean, not the itsy bitsy 14 cd Abbado box.

Well, you said "the" Verdi box, right? "the" implies a kind of superlative quality here.  I had the Abbado set, but lost it. I used it as a bookmark and forgot which book I put it in. After that I swore off those tiny envelope-sized boxes.

I remember growing up, my brother had a huge record collection--about 120 discs.  He played music all day long, every day, too.  I had it for a few years when he moved out of state. At the university my friends were impressed and jealous of this huge collection.  I've bought more than double that in the last few days...  CDCDCD :-[ ???
It's all good...

springrite

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 16, 2014, 05:27:44 PM

I remember growing up, my brother had a huge record collection--about 120 discs. 

I take about that much on some of my business trips! You should consider it next time you fly out of Taiwan, but it will take up some luggage space...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: springrite on February 16, 2014, 05:46:40 PM
I take about that much on some of my business trips! You should consider it next time you fly out of Taiwan, but it will take up some luggage space…

Of course! This is the 21st century :) I always travel with a laptop, with at least that much on it. Plus my phone has a lot...
   By the way, in the above story I'm talking LPs.  A new LP in the early 80s was $7-8. I wonder how much that is now,adjusted for inflation?
EDIT: just checked: $8 in 1982 is $18.73 in 2012
It's all good...

springrite

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 16, 2014, 05:57:46 PM
Of course! This is the 21st century :) I always travel with a laptop, with at least that much on it. Plus my phone has a lot...
   By the way, in the above story I'm talking LPs.  A new LP in the early 80s was $7-8. I wonder how much that is now,adjusted for inflation?
EDIT: just checked: $8 in 1982 is $18.73 in 2012
Back then I was getting mostly 3 or 4 for $10 from London budget label, Seraphim, Vox and quintessence, etc. You are right, adjusted for inflation, they were expensive, and I was a poor student!

NJ Joe

Does anyone ever buy something you already have? This happened to me just last week.  I ordered Haitink's Phillips Duo of Ravel.  Had a peculiar feeling about it, but went ahead and ordered it anyway. Then this weekend I was searching for a misplaced dvd and lo and behold, I found the one I already owned.

I've also considered buying things and then realized I already owned them.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

ritter

Quote from: NJ Joe on February 17, 2014, 06:43:29 AM
Does anyone ever buy something you already have? This happened to me just last week.  I ordered Haitink's Phillips Duo of Ravel.  Had a peculiar feeling about it, but went ahead and ordered it anyway. Then this weekend I was searching for a misplaced dvd and lo and behold, I found the one I already owned.

Yes indeed, and this is very unsettling  ??? (and embarassing?)  :-[

I am a Boulez completist. In a store that stocks out-of-print Cd's here in Madrid (sometimes at astronomical prices--I think they monitor the amazon marketplace quotations on a regular basis  :o ), I bought Boulez's recordings of Sacre (Cleveland) and Petrushka (NYPO) on Sony, because I was convinced the Sacre was missing from my collection since the LP days...well, have it I did, and what I was really looking for was the NYPO Firebird and Chant du Rossignol. Well, at least I have a CD to give away to any friend who wants to get to know these performances... :)

jut1972

Much worse now with all the big boxes, each time I see a single CD I think I MUST HAVE THAT SOMEWHERE... those big boxes are like a Tardis.

Ken B

I am now totally gunshy about early choral music. Buying it on sight was a behavior I learned in bygone days of scarcity -- you'd weep for me if you knew, Baklavaboy -- but in recent years with re issues and boxes and label changes ... I came within a heartbeat of buying my third copy of a madrigal set.

Sergeant Rock

Does anyone ever buy something you already have?

Yes. Sometimes deliberately in order to have a backup copy in case of damage to the original. But sometimes by accident...in fact, a half dozen times in the past eight or so years when CDCDCD was especially contagious and my cataloging couldn't keep up with my purchasing. Some duplicates have found good homes with GMG members.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 17, 2014, 02:30:34 PM
I came within a heartbeat of buying my third copy of a madrigal set.

Wow. That's serious! When I started really getting into this I only had about 25 classical CDs, so I haven't gotten more than a handful of repeats. But I have done something rather compulsive: I've bought (intentionally) large sets that I already had flac versions of on my hard drive.  Unlike many, I don't believe digital music sounds any better coming from a CD player than from a computer. I just wanted to hold the CDs in my hot sweaty hands, to gaze at the printed pictures, to look at  the track listing while I'm sitting in my chair (when out of squinting distance from my computer monitor).  I wouldn't have done this, however, if the price weren't absurdly cheap.
  Even stranger (maybe? I don't know if anyone else feels this way) I seriously considered buying a 2nd Perahia box just because it's like $65 for 68 great CDs, 5DVDs and big nice book.  If Bill Gates were selling original Rembrandt's for $5 on the sidewalk in front of my house, would I be compulsive if I nabbed a second copy of "The Anatomy Lesson of Nicolaes Tulp"? 
It's all good...

Ken B

I have a second unopened copy of a HM box awaiting resale when it goes OOP.

I have sold a few boxes after a while, mostly for a small profit or breaking even.  so a second Perahia is not crazy. I will sell mins someday I expect (I am keeping my Mozart box for that reason.) i like the box a lot but have almost all the music anyway.

I want to help though. Buy a second Rubenstein box and I will store it for you.

Jay F

Quote from: Ken B on February 17, 2014, 04:09:38 PM
I have a second unopened copy of a HM box awaiting resale when it goes OOP.

I have sold a few boxes after a while, mostly for a small profit or breaking even.  so a second Perahia is not crazy. I will sell mins someday I expect (I am keeping my Mozart box for that reason.)

Does anyone actually buy those OOP box sets people want $300 for?

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 17, 2014, 04:09:38 PM
I want to help though. Buy a second Rubenstein box and I will store it for you.

LOL.

I actually got a Mercury Living Sound II box after they went OOP and sold it on ebay for 3X what I paid.  A couple of months ago I saw another one, pounced on it, went home and found that they had re-released it ??? I still haven't opened it.  I also have a DG II box I haven't opened. (I have both on my hard drive).  Plan to dive into each at some point...like a miser fondling his gold >:D >:D
It's all good...