Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 22, 2014, 07:17:54 AM
  agree with your assessment, but isn't it 33 cds for 12 pounds?

I got it too. I also bought the EMI icon colin davis to accompany it. I thought it would be lonely in transit.   Today I picked up the Byron Janis RCA box and Klemperer's Bruckner set locally so I could listen to something while the other boxes fleet their way hither.   These two have been eyeing me for weeks....
If you're ever in Michigan I must take you drinking.

I got the Celi Bruckner. My sixth cycle. And I have had others in the past. But from excerpts he brings a very different, very effective, approach.

Ken B

I looked in the mirror today and saw Montgomery Burns with a glass of red wine smirking back at me. Cold turkey until my birthday, 3 weeks!  :laugh:

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 22, 2014, 07:30:07 AM
If you're ever in Michigan I must take you drinking.

I thought you might be from thereabouts. I did most of my growing up in Adrian, down in Lenawee county.

Quote from: Ken B on February 22, 2014, 12:58:27 PM
I looked in the mirror today and saw Montgomery Burns with a glass of red wine smirking back at me. Cold turkey until my birthday, 3 weeks!  :laugh:

This really could be the cure. A support group! If you are serious about cold turkey, let me know.  I'll take the pledge with your (for 3 weeks). That'll give me some time to work on the credit card bill (and hide these tell-tale boxes).
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 22, 2014, 04:09:28 PM
I thought you might be from thereabouts. I did most of my growing up in Adrian, down in Lenawee county.

This really could be the cure. A support group! If you are serious about cold turkey, let me know.  I'll take the pledge with your (for 3 weeks). That'll give me some time to work on the credit card bill (and hide these tell-tale boxes).
Yep. Cold turkey until 13 March.
I just finished unpacking. Lord knows how I'm going to find stuff now, having lost much of the ordering I had. But I saw stuff I'd forgotten about.  And a mountain of new stuff.
Anyway, I have several boxes on the way to tide me over.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 22, 2014, 04:15:38 PM
Yep. Cold turkey until 13 March.
I just finished unpacking. Lord knows how I'm going to find stuff now, having lost much of the ordering I had. But I saw stuff I'd forgotten about.  And a mountain of new stuff.
Anyway, I have several boxes on the way to tide me over.

Yeah, but now over in the super-box thread you really have me thinking about the Karajan 60s box...$3 a disc for the whole thing--which, of course I don't need cuz I downloaded the 240 disc KG box in lossless format...
   OK. I'm taking the pledge.
      Which is admittedly silly as I have literally 8 boxes on the way. But no more til your birthday.
It's all good...

Mirror Image

I've been doing a pretty good job of keeping my CDCDCD under control. As I mentioned before, there is no cure. But, with this mind, you can help reduce the number of CDs you buy. One method I've discovered rather recently that has been working rather well is called the "Cancel Order Technique" or for short: COT. Basically, how COT works is you buy 5-6 discs or one of those mega box sets and you go back after a minute or so and cancel the order and what this does, at least for me, is temporarily zaps that urge to buy for several hours sometimes even days. Anyway, this technique, from my understanding, can only be applied to Amazon orders, so if you're shopping there, use it wisely! :)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2014, 08:00:42 PM
I've been doing a pretty good job of keeping my CDCDCD under control. As I mentioned before, there is no cure. But, with this mind, you can help reduce the number of CDs you buy. One method I've discovered rather recently that has been working rather well is called the "Cancel Order Technique" or for short: COT. Basically, how COT works is you buy 5-6 discs or one of those mega box sets and you go back after a minute or so and cancel the order and what this does, at least for me, is temporarily zaps that urge to buy for several hours sometimes even days. Anyway, this technique, from my understanding, can only be applied to Amazon orders, so if you're shopping there, use it wisely! :)

I've used this! But the other night it backfired.  I ordered a small Colin Davis box to go with the Verdi box, as the Verdi was so embarassingly cheap I felt little guilty. I immediately realized I didn't need the Davis (within minutes), but couldn't cancel it! They said the process had already begun and it was too late. It might be that UK Amazon is more rigid than US Amazon...
It's all good...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 23, 2014, 08:11:35 PM
I've used this! But the other night it backfired.  I ordered a small Colin Davis box to go with the Verdi box, as the Verdi was so embarassingly cheap I felt little guilty. I immediately realized I didn't need the Davis (within minutes), but couldn't cancel it! They said the process had already begun and it was too late. It might be that UK Amazon is more rigid than US Amazon...

This could very well be the case with Amazon UK, but from my understanding is you can still send a cancellation email to them and, in most cases, they will cancel it. In fact, this has actually happened to me one time where I ended waiting around too long and the 'cancel' button had disappeared, but I just clicked the 'request cancellation' button and typed a short message to Amazon and they cancelled it quickly.

snyprrr

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 23, 2014, 08:11:35 PM

...a SMALL Colin Davis Box...

This is definitely the language of CDCDCD!!

"but, of course I couldn't just buy that without a little sumptin sumptin to go along wit it"

It's not the cocaine- it's what it does to your brain!

Ahhh, I have a new List myself, but I have no means to exercise my RIGHT!! ahhhhhhh- I'm shackled I tell ya- ahh ahhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Dear Lord, if you could see fit to endow me with a trust fund"

Brian

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 23, 2014, 08:11:35 PMas the Verdi was so embarassingly cheap I felt little guilty.
Tell you what, when you feel embarrassed like that again, send me some box sets.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2014, 08:00:42 PM

This is technically known as purchasus interuptus. It is the only technique the Vatican sanctions.

Mookalafalas

Well, I ordered the new RCA big box of Colin. But it doesn't have his legendary Berlioz material, so I got that to round it out.  But then I stumbled on the tiny EMI box of his early stuff, and thought, you know, "if you are going to do a job, do it right"--as my father always said.
  As far as music buying, I think I'm very frugal as I never spend over $3 per disc (except for that damned EMI Colin Davis...turns out the Pound has appreciated and with shipping it's like $4.50 per disc :o.
   And listen to you, Brian! I've seen your stuff in the today's purchases thread--lots of specialty item singletons.  Reminds me of another of my father's sayings (pretty much anytime I bought anything more than a gum ball): "Oh, look at you. Last of the big-time spenders!" ;D
It's all good...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on February 24, 2014, 06:50:48 AM
This is technically known as purchasus interuptus. It is the only technique the Vatican sanctions.

:P

Brian

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 24, 2014, 07:00:53 AM
   And listen to you, Brian! I've seen your stuff in the today's purchases thread--lots of specialty item singletons.  Reminds me of another of my father's sayings (pretty much anytime I bought anything more than a gum ball): "Oh, look at you. Last of the big-time spenders!" ;D

Hey now, I have the Rubinstein, Perahia, Bernstein, and Russian Legends boxes too, and the Hyperion complete Chopin, and Brilliant complete Brahms and Rachmaninov. I don't discriminate  ;D that is a great quote from your father, by the way.

Quote from: Ken B on February 24, 2014, 06:50:48 AM

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on February 24, 2014, 07:23:29 AM
Hey now, I have the Rubinstein (check!), Perahia (check!), Bernstein (check!), and Russian Legends (check!) boxes too, and the Hyperion complete Chopin (check!), and Brilliant complete Brahms (check!), and Rachmaninov  (oh crap I missed that!)

Mirror Image

Come on, guys! This is supposed to be a self-help group! :laugh:

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2014, 12:35:34 PM
Come on, guys! This is supposed to be a self-help group! :laugh:

As there are no physical symptoms of debilitation, whether or not CDCDCD should truly be classified as a disease is, it would seem, open to debate. I think some of us have come to accept this aspect of our nature, and with self-acceptance found inner peace and, dare I say it, joy :)   Or maybe I just feel this way because even thought I am on a "spending freeze" I got 3 50 CD boxes yesterday ;D ;D Two came from the postman and I had lent the Phillips box to my Chinese teacher, who had it for about a month.  It is hard to justify just how happy I was to get it back again! The feeling was very close to that of getting a new box.  I was quite apprehensive that she had forgotten to bring it, and then when she handed it back to me, I had to take a quick riffle through all those little packages of musical bliss :D Anyway, still on the bandwagon for now.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 24, 2014, 03:46:54 PM
  As there are no physical symptoms of debilitation, whether or not CDCDCD should truly be classified as a disease is, it would seem, open to debate. I think some of us have come to accept this aspect of our nature, and with self-acceptance found inner peace and, dare I say it, joy :)   Or maybe I just feel this way because even thought I am on a "spending freeze" I got 3 50 CD boxes yesterday ;D ;D Two came from the postman and I had lent the Phillips box to my Chinese teacher, who had it for about a month.  It is hard to justify just how happy I was to get it back again! The feeling was very close to that of getting a new box.  I was quite apprehensive that she had forgotten to bring it, and then when she handed it back to me, I had to take a quick riffle through all those little packages of musical bliss :D Anyway, still on the bandwagon for now.
OD on pleasure, ship me your collection and get it back slowly at unpredictable intervals. Draws out the bliss that way.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 24, 2014, 03:53:01 PM
OD on pleasure, ship me your collection and get it back slowly at unpredictable intervals. Draws out the bliss that way.
:laugh:
Wish you were a little closer, and I would consider it! Shipping from Taiwan is pretty stiff.  I actually bought my brother and his wife the Perahia box just because it was so outrageously cheap it seemed like a crime not to buy it.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 24, 2014, 04:09:57 PM
:laugh:
Wish you were a little closer, and I would consider it! Shipping from Taiwan is pretty stiff.  I actually bought my brother and his wife the Perahia box just because it was so outrageously cheap it seemed like a crime not to buy it.
Yeah. My sister went to a clarinet chamber concert this summer and really liked it. Mozart, bach, and Bartok especially. So i gave her Stoltzman's box and a WTC bk 1. When I saw the emi mozart 50 box for $30 I snarfed it for next xmas.

The Perahia box is great. I got it for under a buck a disc.