Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 01, 2014, 04:14:04 PM
October! An ambitious goal (not as ambitious as Brian--one year--but he seems to already be retroactively inserting "unless..." clauses into his original pledge >:D).

I've cruised the CD shop twice, but managed to leave empty handed.  Here is a question I submit to the panel for adjudication:
   I ordered the Klemperer Mozart box before I took the pledge, but got a message from ImportCD that they cancelled the order. My local shop has it. Would that be a real purchase, or fulfilling a previous (i.e. pre-pledge) order? I patiently await your opinion(s).

March 13 is a week and a half away.  Surely you don't need to get it before then?

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 02, 2014, 05:58:47 PM
March 13 is a week and a half away.  Surely you don't need to get it before then?
Sure Jeffrey, tell yourself that. Whatever helps.
8)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 02, 2014, 05:58:47 PM
It depends on how you define "need" :-\  Actually, I'm feeling pretty strong just at the moment. Comes and goes, though.
It's all good...

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on March 02, 2014, 06:00:54 PM
Sure Jeffrey, tell yourself that. Whatever helps.
8)

I wasn't the one foolish enough to take the pledge.  I could buy half of  Prestoclassical's listing and not break any promises. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 02, 2014, 06:56:37 PM
I wasn't the one foolish enough to take the pledge.  I could buy half of  Prestoclassical's listing and not break any promises.

I quit taking pledges a long time ago and I'm glad I did because I can breathe much better now. :)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 02, 2014, 06:56:37 PM

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 02, 2014, 07:11:07 PM
I quit taking pledges a long time ago and I'm glad I did because I can breathe much better now. :)

This thread is schizophrenic.  The title mentions disassociative, compulsive, and disease. It should be bad.  However, most of us sound happier than not about our...situation.  We should have a big box comparison and appreciation thread.  By the way, I'm listening to some Strauss opera from the reiner box and it is very good. I wasn't expecting that.  I may have to get the big Strauss opera box ($100 at my shop >:D).  There is a new 10 disc Reiner conducts Strauss box coming out soon.  Yowsa.
It's all good...

Que

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 02, 2014, 08:11:45 PM
  This thread is schizophrenic.  The title mentions disassociative, compulsive, and disease. It should be bad.  However, most of us sound happier than not about our...situation.  We should have a big box comparison and appreciation thread.  By the way, I'm listening to some Strauss opera from the reiner box and it is very good. I wasn't expecting that.  I may have to get the big Strauss opera box ($100 at my shop >:D).  There is a new 10 disc Reiner conducts Strauss box coming out soon.  Yowsa.

For Strauss operas (the part of his oeuvre that really stands out), apart from Reiner and (only) a few others (Krauss, Sawallish, Karajan), Karl Böhm is your man.

Speaking of box sets, once upon a time there was a huge and beautiful Böhm/Strauss Anniversary set - that might resurface one of these days. :D

Q

North Star

Quote from: Que on March 02, 2014, 10:04:45 PM
For Strauss operas (the part of his oeuvre that really stands out), apart from Reiner and (only) a few others (Krauss, Sawallish, Karajan), Karl Böhm is your man.

Speaking of box sets, once upon a time there was a huge and beautiful Böhm/Strauss Anniversary set - that might resurface one of these days. :D

Q
What about Solti?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on March 02, 2014, 10:04:45 PM

Q

Hmmm...I'll keep that in mind.  As there were recently dueling box sets for Verdi and Wagner just recently, maybe there will be some competition in the Strauss field as well.  I will try to rein myself in.
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 02, 2014, 10:29:50 PM
  Hmmm...I'll keep that in mind.  As there were recently dueling box sets for Verdi and Wagner just recently, maybe there will be some competition in the Strauss field as well.  I will try to rein myself in.
I should think there will be some Strauss offerings, since his 150th anniversary is in June this year! (and in September the 65th anniversary of his death)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on March 03, 2014, 01:22:39 AM
I should think there will be some Strauss offerings, since his 150th anniversary is in June this year! (and in September the 65th anniversary of his death)

Actually, I was apparently having a senior moment.  There are two other pretty big mixed Strauss boxes out, and they look like the type that eventually have a price plummet, and a Solti all opera box.
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

here
[asin]B00FM60U8E[/asin]

[asin]B006546EPA[/asin]

[asin]B008H29YYQ[/asin]
It's all good...

mc ukrneal

Ukrneal's guide to weaning off the cds:
1. Go crazy (that's right, accuulate a lot - build a nice reserve). It sounds like you might have already done this, so move to step 2
2. Don't listen to your cds until you have ripped each one and do that a relatively slow pace to draw out the process
3. DON'T go cold turkey. Leave yourself a small buffer for future purchase. I leave $100 for every 3-6 months. This is the pressure release valve.
4. If you rip the cds slowly enough AND go on a 6 month moratorium (with the buffer though), you are more likely to last (without much of a problem)
5. Think about getting as much value for the money as opposed to getting lots of stuff. I find this can be quite fun.

It helped me a lot. I now usually buy as I like, but if I see I am starting to spend too much, this is what I do. I find that ripping slow all the time (and not listening to them until they are ripped) has helped keep the numbers down.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

springrite

Quote from: The new erato on March 03, 2014, 05:18:51 AM
What has listening got to do with it?

Well, listening got a lot to do with it. It is one of the possible future steps after purchasing.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

The new erato

Quote from: springrite on March 03, 2014, 05:30:30 AM
Well, listening got a lot to do with it. It is one of the possible future steps after purchasing.
Aha!!! But it's not mandatory?

springrite

Quote from: The new erato on March 03, 2014, 06:05:15 AM
Aha!!! But it's not mandatory?

Of course not. Often the decorational value is sufficient, not to mention psychological value. Listening would be a nice bonus.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mookalafalas

I really like listening when I'm surfing the net for cheap mega-box sets. I think the music really inspires me.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 03, 2014, 04:27:03 AM
Ukrneal's guide to weaning off the cds:
1. Go crazy (that's right, accuulate a lot - build a nice reserve). It sounds like you might have already done this, so move to step 2
2. Don't listen to your cds until you have ripped each one and do that a relatively slow pace to draw out the process
3. DON'T go cold turkey. Leave yourself a small buffer for future purchase. I leave $100 for every 3-6 months. This is the pressure release valve.
4. If you rip the cds slowly enough AND go on a 6 month moratorium (with the buffer though), you are more likely to last (without much of a problem)
5. Think about getting as much value for the money as opposed to getting lots of stuff. I find this can be quite fun.

It helped me a lot. I now usually buy as I like, but if I see I am starting to spend too much, this is what I do. I find that ripping slow all the time (and not listening to them until they are ripped) has helped keep the numbers down.

:D

I like part 1!!!!! 
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 03, 2014, 02:50:50 AM
here

[asin]B008H29YYQ[/asin]

I have been pondering the Solti Strauss (actually the Solti Mozart and Verdi Opera boxes as well). They seem to have a great reputation in their individual releases.  The Brilliant box is actually very impressive!!!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé