Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on March 07, 2014, 03:05:17 AM
Baklavaboy,
What were your first impressions of the EMI Eminence set (as I am sure you have finished listening to it by now  >:D)?
Has anybody else here listened to it? Stellar, mediocre, disastrous?

[asin] B00APPSH9G[/asin]

This came with a huge barrage of stuff, so hasn't gotten much attention.  The cd covers are super cheap and flimsy. The "original covers" have a strangely dated and unappealing quality. Other than that, though, I'm pretty happy. It's Brit loaded, and my own collection is Brit-lite, which is one reason I got it. The recording quality is pretty high, and there are only a bare minimum of war-horses. It has a lot of early music, but not necessarily in top HIP form. Still, they are new to me and what I've heard is very engaging, although without the bright, crisp recording quality of the stuff in Vivarte box.
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Happy Birthday Ken! Sounds like you started celebrating a little early (from the "today's purchases" thread).  Sorry I wasn't much moral support ::)

Strange news from me, I no longer have CDCDCD.  The fever broke.  Perhaps it's just in remission, but I don't think so.  My love of photography has recently (finally?) reawakened.  My enthusiasm was mostly replaced by the classical music mania, but it has been reborn. Now I am looking at photography books instead of reading about Bach, and working in Photoshop instead of browsing for bargains on Amazon.  Happily, I still enjoy listening to music just as much, but just woke up and thought "Man, you have a lot of incredible music to listen to. Where would you even put more?!".
  Unfortunately, I could use a new wide angle lens, and the Sony A7r looks like a beautiful camera for only $1500, and I've been meaning to get the Olympus 75mm F1.8 to go with my M4/3 system ???
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 12, 2014, 08:26:09 PM
Happy Birthday Ken! Sounds like you started celebrating a little early (from the "today's purchases" thread).  Sorry I wasn't much moral support ::)

Strange news from me, I no longer have CDCDCD.  The fever broke.  Perhaps it's just in remission, but I don't think so.  My love of photography has recently (finally?) reawakened.  My enthusiasm was mostly replaced by the classical music mania, but it has been reborn. Now I am looking at photography books instead of reading about Bach, and working in Photoshop instead of browsing for bargains on Amazon.  Happily, I still enjoy listening to music just as much, but just woke up and thought "Man, you have a lot of incredible music to listen to. Where would you even put more?!".
  Unfortunately, I could use a new wide angle lens, and the Sony A7r looks like a beautiful camera for only $1500, and I've been meaning to get the Olympus 75mm F1.8 to go with my M4/3 system ???
Thanks!
I said you had CDWALCD didn't I?
Hopefully we are not going to lose you from the group, or worse, music.
I confess I have mixed emotions about your cure largely for that reason.
Plus losing a fellow sufferer!
What if John repents? Or Moonfish?
If you took a drug, tell no-one but me!
;D

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on March 12, 2014, 09:09:15 PM
Thanks!
I said you had CDWALCD didn't I?
Hopefully we are not going to lose you from the group, or worse, music.
I confess I have mixed emotions about your cure largely for that reason.
Plus losing a fellow sufferer!
What if John repents? Or Moonfish?
If you took a drug, tell no-one but me!
;D

What! There is a cure????????         :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X

It sounds like a case of CDPhotogearCD.... or possibly CDCAOD (Compulsive Disassociative Collect Any Object Disease)...?

Well, in the worst case there is always....

<--------- Baklavaboy
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

I don't expect to be disappearing anytime soon, thanks for your concern ;D  I actually decided (some time ago) to get the Decca analogue box eventually, but even though I dropped in the story yesterday with money in my pocket, just didn't see any hurry about getting it. Of course there isn't any hurry to get it, but that wouldn't have been a deterrent in the past.  Sent a bunch of money to the States today to pay off (most) of my credit card bill.  Maybe that had something to do with my change of heart...
  BTW, postman brought me 3 boxes yesterday (I ordered them last month).  The Cortot box is wonderful.
It's all good...

Ken B

Mine comes and goes. Like Bboy I can see big boxes now and feel no urgent need. I have too much to get through, and usually have the music. Oddly it sometimes turns me off even. Like Living Stereo II. Box I is great, but when I look at 2 i think, oh no not more of that. That being music I love! Bad bad.
I still want boxes, like the coming Loiseau lyre box, but because it's less familiar stuff cheap. I almost bought the Davis box a month ago and now have no desire for it at all. All familar stuff I already have. I'd actually prefer to sell some of what I have.
But this isn't a reaction against music, but against music being conflated with shopping and listening to new stuff as a chore rather than a pleasure.
Am I recovering?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

I can say my CDCDCD has definitely been quite irritated today, but I just took some more medication, so I should be good for month now.

snyprrr

Boy, I reeeally want to buy SOMETHING!! but my means are just not so conducive. I'm at that point where I can't just find ONE thing- everything's a Set or Box or Series, gaaah! >:D

I want to get that Maderna Series on Neos, but those five cds would run me about $100. I pretend I have a wife and I practice justifying things like this, but I just don't see it working. :'(

I definitely feel like Material Consumerism is behind all this get get getting!! I'm trying to think about all the 'Le Sacres' I have, but the old Lenny just NEEDS to be part of the troupe! Still, all purchases have always been towards an end, so, I'm in a much better position now than years ago.

Choose your battles carefully!

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 17, 2014, 08:42:10 PM
I can say my CDCDCD has definitely been quite irritated today, but I just took some more medication, so I should be good for month now.

CDs are the best medicine for this. Well, I am sure you know this...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on March 18, 2014, 06:55:17 AM
CDs are the best medicine for this. Well, I am sure you know this...

Lol...you're quite the kidder, Paul.

Mookalafalas

??? ???Wow, I'm having a terrible flair up.  Stopped by my shop and they have the new Bernstein box for about $150.   I have the NY box and think its brilliant--but rarely play the discs as I have similarly brilliant versions of all these giants in other sets (Abbado, Klemperer, Reiner, Szell, Giulini, Walter).  Can anyone help reassure me I don't need this.
   They also have the new Colin Davis box, but I am proud to say I had not the slightest urge to buy that one (I already have it :-\)
   I also found the Das Alte Werk box at another shop, for about $150.  I'm actually leaning towards that one...unless someone can give a reason why I shouldn't?
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 22, 2014, 12:20:08 AM
??? ???Wow, I'm having a terrible flair up.  Stopped by my shop and they have the new Bernstein box for about $150.   I have the NY box and think its brilliant--but rarely play the discs as I have similarly brilliant versions of all these giants in other sets (Abbado, Klemperer, Reiner, Szell, Giulini, Walter).  Can anyone help reassure me I don't need this.
   They also have the new Colin Davis box, but I am proud to say I had not the slightest urge to buy that one (I already have it :-\)
   I also found the Das Alte Werk box at another shop, for about $150.  I'm actually leaning towards that one...unless someone can give a reason why I shouldn't?
You really do not need the Lennie. But DAW is probably a good way to sample some new stuff. I do not know the box but the label has been one of the best for early music.

snyprrr

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 22, 2014, 12:20:08 AM

"Hemmeroids(?) are like yakees: if they come down, and then go back up, no problem; but when they come down and STAY!!..."

I am SO glad you don't have the urge to buy something you already have. Is that progress? haha!!

snyprrr

I'm on the verge of buying SOMETHING. But I know when I do that that could set off the flood of expectation which usually results in more purchases.

Will I have to eat at the soup line to save money for cds?

snyprrr

Yea, I just have to share that I'm in that "I just gotta HAVE" mode, which is so relentless- and COMPLETE-ist- it just wants ALL the works of a Composer right NOWm regardless of price- or frivolity- so I'd have to spend $$$ on that disc with just one 4 minute piece on it-  so that nothing less than completion is rewarded with peace. ugh

I'd have to spend all the money to quell the voice- and of course I got myself into one of those- "well, it's only about 12 cds all together", but some are outrageously priced for the return- ahhh :'(

waaah :'( blubber blubber :'( :'(

SNAP OUT OF IT MAN!!

Ken B

Okay I looked at the D a W box. Slightly older historical recordings, awesome good for their time, maybe a little bit dated now. 150 is certainly a good price. I am passing because I have recordings of all of this music, but I do not think that you do baklava boy. Much wiser choice than Lennie in my opinion. A good set overall.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on March 22, 2014, 11:30:12 AM
Okay I looked at the D a W box. Slightly older historical recordings, awesome good for their time, maybe a little bit dated now. 150 is certainly a good price. I am passing because I have recordings of all of this music, but I do not think that you do baklava boy. Much wiser choice than Lennie in my opinion. A good set overall.

Ken! Don't entice him!!!    >:D
I can see how this comic applies to online purchase of megaboxes rather than facebook......

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on March 22, 2014, 11:43:37 AM
Ken! Don't entice him!!!    >:D
I can see how this comic applies to online purchase of megaboxes rather than facebook......

OK. I'll entice you instead! You lack Leonhardt and Harnoncourt ...

>:D

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on March 22, 2014, 11:50:09 AM
OK. I'll entice you instead! You lack Leonhardt and Harnoncourt ...

>:D

Nope...
All set on that one.  :D
But I think you need all those new Giulini boxes....    >:D
Anna Lappé