Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on March 22, 2014, 12:13:39 PM
Nope...
All set on that one.  :D
But I think you need all those new Giulini boxes....    >:D
I did look. I want new music though mostly, but will possibly keep LS2. LS1 is so excellent. Preordered the L'Oiseau Lyre box.
BBoy needs Hoggy Haydn though ...

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on March 22, 2014, 12:40:46 PM
I did look. I want new music though mostly, but will possibly keep LS2. LS1 is so excellent. Preordered the L'Oiseau Lyre box.

Ken,

You definitely need this one!  >:D >:D >:D
Available used at Amazon.fr..... and with a very good to excellent compilation of mostly OOP opera recordings.
http://www.amazon.fr/Plus-Grands-Op%C3%A9ras-Monde-Coffret/dp/B000VTHTVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395521704&sr=8-1&keywords=B000VTHTVS

[asin] B000VTHTVS[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 22, 2014, 12:20:08 AM
??? ???Wow, I'm having a terrible flair up.  Stopped by my shop and they have the new Bernstein box for about $150.   I have the NY box and think its brilliant--but rarely play the discs as I have similarly brilliant versions of all these giants in other sets (Abbado, Klemperer, Reiner, Szell, Giulini, Walter).  Can anyone help reassure me I don't need this.
   They also have the new Colin Davis box, but I am proud to say I had not the slightest urge to buy that one (I already have it :-\)
   I also found the Das Alte Werk box at another shop, for about $150.  I'm actually leaning towards that one...unless someone can give a reason why I shouldn't?

You can get the DAW box at Amazon.de for about 100 Euros minus tax plus S&H....     >:D >:D >:D

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Alte-Werk-50-Box/dp/B00EDXIIF4/ref=pd_sim_m_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0P5FJMCPP44K9GKHAJBT
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

jut1972

I have my CDCDCD under control. The solution was childlike in its simplicity.

I have started buying vinyl instead.

I do have some CD preorders in and am seriously thinking of cancelling them as it will take a LONG time to get through my listening pile.  It's knowing the price will rise on release that is stopping me.    Arrggghh!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on March 22, 2014, 12:40:46 PM

Got it already  (free, via that scoundrel Billy Torrential). You're right, it's awesome (as is the Pinnock, IMO, with with Hoggy winning by a nose).
Got the Das Alte Werk today.  Playing disc one as I type. 
  I've no doubt it's all good.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on March 22, 2014, 12:56:32 PM
Ken,

You definitely need this one!  >:D >:D >:D
Available used at Amazon.fr..... and with a very good to excellent compilation of mostly OOP opera recordings.
http://www.amazon.fr/Plus-Grands-Op%C3%A9ras-Monde-Coffret/dp/B000VTHTVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395521704&sr=8-1&keywords=B000VTHTVS

[asin] B000VTHTVS[/asin]

Opera tempts me little. Plus I have unheard stuff from my baroque opera box and the Wagner Bayreuth box. Plus that Verdi cube.
Verdi is probably the major composer who has played the least role in my musical life. I have gone years without hearing a note. I need to remedy that, but am drowning in new stuff. Plus I just did a Prokofiev make over, most of which has yet to arrive. (Fidgets impatiently).

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on March 23, 2014, 06:25:06 AM
Opera tempts me little. Plus I have unheard stuff from my baroque opera box and the Wagner Bayreuth box. Plus that Verdi cube.
Verdi is probably the major composer who has played the least role in my musical life. I have gone years without hearing a note. I need to remedy that, but am drowning in new stuff. Plus I just did a Prokofiev make over, most of which has yet to arrive. (Fidgets impatiently).

I am still attuning to Verdi, but I really enjoy some of his works immensely.  Lately (the last three months)  I have been traversing Rigoletto which is a fantastic opera. So you are not drawn to his "popular" works such as "Aida" or "La Traviata"?

The opera box compilation is actually fantastic and the price in France is quite good at the moment.....
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on March 23, 2014, 01:13:59 PM
I am still attuning to Verdi, but I really enjoy some of his works immensely.  Lately (the last three months)  I have been traversing Rigoletto which is a fantastic opera. So you are not drawn to his "popular" works such as "Aida" or "La Traviata"?

The opera box compilation is actually fantastic and the price in France is quite good at the moment.....
I am not sure. The oompa maybe. I dislike his Requiem, so trite. I have in almost 40 years listening heard at most 3 Verdi operas complete. I go years without listening to him. But I enjoyed Traviatta in the Living Stereo box. Might try Rigo.

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on March 23, 2014, 01:33:45 PM
I am not sure. The oompa maybe. I dislike his Requiem, so trite. I have in almost 40 years listening heard at most 3 Verdi operas complete. I go years without listening to him. But I enjoyed Traviatta in the Living Stereo box. Might try Rigo.

Falstaff is the one. Falstaff Falstaff Falstaff.

Verdi Hierarchy In My Personal Taste:
haven't heard: a lot, admittedly!
meh, whatever: everything I have heard that's not listed below
pretty good, I s'pose: string quartet
enjoy it once every 3 years or so: Requiem
seriously the best, just 100% the best: Falstaff

To get the full effect you really need to see it staged. The recent NY Met version with Ambrogio Maestri was completely perfect. If it comes out on Blu-Ray, I'm grabbing it (and you should too).

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on March 23, 2014, 06:06:54 PM
Falstaff is the one. Falstaff Falstaff Falstaff.

seriously the best, just 100% the best: Falstaff

YES.

And definitely not oompa music.   It's almost as if Verdi decided to beat Wagner at his own game.  I have several recordings, and love them all.

And actually just as good: 

Otello. 
I was fortunate enough in my youth to see a Met production with Milnes as Iago--don't recall at the moment who sang Otello and Desdemona.  It was the Zefferelli production.  Really, it was as perfect a performance as an opera could be.

Both operas are helped by the fact that the librettos are actually abridgements of the Shakespearian originals, and the result is actually dramaturgically superior to the originals.

I will admit that the earlier Verdi all tends to sound the same, which is why I stopped trying to collect all his operas (I have a few of the earlier ones:  Attila, Nabucco, don't remember which others).  Rigoletto, Traviata, Aida, Don Carlo are all great operas, but if you want to call them oompa music,  you'd not be very wrong, although they're all worth at least a listen every so often.  (I have a couple of operas in which I have both Domingo and Pavarotti's performances, and in general Domingo wins each match up.)

But I think Otello and Falstaff are must haves.

Moonfish

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 23, 2014, 06:47:28 PM
YES.

And definitely not oompa music.   It's almost as if Verdi decided to beat Wagner at his own game.  I have several recordings, and love them all.

And actually just as good: 

Otello. 
I was fortunate enough in my youth to see a Met production with Milnes as Iago--don't recall at the moment who sang Otello and Desdemona.  It was the Zefferelli production.  Really, it was as perfect a performance as an opera could be.

Both operas are helped by the fact that the librettos are actually abridgements of the Shakespearian originals, and the result is actually dramaturgically superior to the originals.

I will admit that the earlier Verdi all tends to sound the same, which is why I stopped trying to collect all his operas (I have a few of the earlier ones:  Attila, Nabucco, don't remember which others).  Rigoletto, Traviata, Aida, Don Carlo are all great operas, but if you want to call them oompa music,  you'd not be very wrong, although they're all worth at least a listen every so often.  (I have a couple of operas in which I have both Domingo and Pavarotti's performances, and in general Domingo wins each match up.)

But I think Otello and Falstaff are must haves.

You mean -- they don't make you cry?  !?!?!?!?!    ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :laugh:
Anna Lappé

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 23, 2014, 06:47:28 PMReally, it was as perfect a performance as an opera could be.

So was the Maestri/Levine Falstaff. I am really hoping for a Blu-Ray release. Best opera performance I've seen; joy-giving, every moment.

And I actually started a forum topic, on a different discussion board, on the subject "Remakes that are better than the originals" - beginning with Verdi's Falstaff. The Shakespearean original, which I read after Christmas, is shambolic in comparison.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on March 24, 2014, 05:50:29 PM
So was the Maestri/Levine Falstaff. I am really hoping for a Blu-Ray release. Best opera performance I've seen; joy-giving, every moment.

And I actually started a forum topic, on a different discussion board, on the subject "Remakes that are better than the originals" - beginning with Verdi's Falstaff. The Shakespearean original, which I read after Christmas, is shambolic in comparison.
Part of it is the libretto arranger. Verdi did not always have particularly good luck in this department, but Boito was brilliant for him, and is the librettist for both of those operas. He also wrote one finished opera of his own that is well worth checking out if you like the mix of Italian + Wagner influence.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on March 24, 2014, 05:50:29 PM

The Merry Wives of Windsor is among several plays in which the greatest playwright of all time proved that he could also be the greatest hackwriter of all time.

Brian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 24, 2014, 06:46:36 PM
Part of it is the libretto arranger. Verdi did not always have particularly good luck in this department, but Boito was brilliant for him, and is the librettist for both of those operas. He also wrote one finished opera of his own that is well worth checking out if you like the mix of Italian + Wagner influence.

Oh, I agree. What Arrigo Boito did with the tepid "Merry Wives" is astonishing. Really, Verdi and Boito deserve equal billing for this opera, like Gilbert & Sullivan.

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on March 24, 2014, 06:55:25 PM
Oh, I agree. What Arrigo Boito did with the tepid "Merry Wives" is astonishing. Really, Verdi and Boito deserve equal billing for this opera, like Gilbert & Sullivan.

mind you, Boito had a good, sometimes to the point of instrusive, editor in writing those two librettos.  Editor's name was Guiseppe Verdi.

Mirror Image

snyprrr

CDCDCD TOTALLY kicked in. Haven't actually bought anything yet, but I have theoretically gotten myself into debt, haha! If the first goes, will the rest just tumble like dominos?

It's a rhetorical question!

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 24, 2014, 07:37:51 PM
All of this Verdi talk is making me nauseous. :D

It makes me feel gooooood!   :D :D    *purring sound*
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on March 26, 2014, 10:27:40 AM
It makes me feel gooooood!   :D :D    *purring sound*
Purring fish? FISH?
I never took zoology, but that just doesn't seem right somehow.