Jerry Goldsmith

Started by MN Dave, December 22, 2009, 05:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDL

Goldsmith's score for Ridley Scott's Alien is extraordinary. Huge amounts of his music was cut and rewritten for the final cut of the film, but much of his original material was issued on LP and as an alternative soundtrack on the first region 2 DVD release of the film.

However, even in its cut form, I'm always amazed by the haunting melodic material and astounding delicacy of the (often electronically modified) orchestral texture.

eyeresist

Outlander is one of my favourite film discs. Very atmospheric, and not as generic as some of his later scores (he did write a LOT of music).

And recently I have been investigating horror film soundtracks, and have been surprised how much the genre still owes to Goldsmith, especially in the use of various "advanced" techniques. I think the only real development from his time, in orchestral terms, is the technique of running a stick or rubber ball over the gong to produce an eerie moan.

...But I found The Omen, as a film, pretty dull. Absolutely no suspense. Is this child the son of Satan? Yes, he is. Now continue watching for another two hours.

snyprrr

Quote from: eyeresist on September 15, 2010, 06:52:09 PM
Outlander is one of my favourite film discs. Very atmospheric, and not as generic as some of his later scores (he did write a LOT of music).

And recently I have been investigating horror film soundtracks, and have been surprised how much the genre still owes to Goldsmith, especially in the use of various "advanced" techniques. I think the only real development from his time, in orchestral terms, is the technique of running a stick or rubber ball over the gong to produce an eerie moan.

I would love if you might have some deep insights into this horror movie research. It might help in the Ritual Music Thread for ideas on my Grand Opus Tenebrum blah blah, but seriously, I'd love to hear if you've been checkin out lots of stuff. Honestly, now that I think about it, I've so totally taken horror movie music for granted my whole life. Bum Bum.....t-t-tadaaah!

But seriously, my first absolutely necessary ingredient is the creepy children's song that goes slightly carouselish (relish!). la-la-la-la-la

...they want to play with you Tommy...[/i]
...play with you Tommy...[/i]
...they want to plaaay...

eyeresist

Erm, when I say I've been "checking out horror soundtracks", I mean I've been listening to samples on Amazon, so my judgements are necessarily limited. That said, the ones that have caught my ear so far are:

Hellraiser I & II / Christopher Young
Soul Survivors / Daniel Licht
The Uninvited / Christopher Young
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake), and TCM: The Beginning / Steve Jablonsky
The Unborn / Ramin Djawadi
The Killing Room / Brian Tyler

Benji

Quote from: eyeresist on September 16, 2010, 05:33:38 PM
Erm, when I say I've been "checking out horror soundtracks", I mean I've been listening to samples on Amazon, so my judgements are necessarily limited. That said, the ones that have caught my ear so far are:

Hellraiser I & II / Christopher Young
Soul Survivors / Daniel Licht
The Uninvited / Christopher Young
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake), and TCM: The Beginning / Steve Jablonsky
The Unborn / Ramin Djawadi
The Killing Room / Brian Tyler

Check out Alien 3 by Elliot Goldenthal, i'd count that as horror. Very tense avante garde sci-fi scoring, similar to the more modernist parts of the Goldsmith Alien score but more extreme (and entirely in Goldenthal's unique voice).

Moldyoldie

My favorite Goldsmith soundtrack, bar none, has to be for the fine '60s WWI drama The Blue Max, probably best heard in its film context since a recording of the original soundtrack of suitable fidelity is difficult to come by these days.  Patton is certainly up there, not to mention the theme from Room 222;)

In fact, I'm somewhat surprised The Blue Max hasn't been mentioned. :o
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

Bogey

Top 3, at this time:

Alien
Planet of the Apes
Star Trek

Honorable Mentions:

Mulan (where he scored it)
Papillon (a sleeper)

I will seek out the Blue Max mentioned above, as I will want it on vinyl. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

eyeresist

Bogey, do you have Outlander?

Bogey

Quote from: eyeresist on September 17, 2010, 08:11:54 PM
Bogey, do you have Outlander?

No, eyeresist, but I shold eventually snag it as I have added "buy any Goldsmith" vinyl to my shopping list (along with jazz soundtracks and hot rod album covers), as I am yet to be disappointed by any of his efforts.  I have a couple western films by him as well and would like more of those to "boot", so to speak.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz