Any operetta fans on the board.

Started by Harry, June 14, 2007, 07:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: erato on June 14, 2007, 09:23:49 AM
PS I love the classical American Musical as well- even though my favorite composers are Bach and Beethoven!

Its getting better and better, love the musical film with Fred Astaire and his many partners, oops.................. ;D

Harry

Quote from: donwyn on June 14, 2007, 09:24:05 AM
Ah, nicely done, then! If it's garnishments you're after then operettas should complement Boris nicely! ;D

Thank you for your understanding, that means a lot to me! ;D

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Harry on June 14, 2007, 09:27:02 AM
Thank you for your understanding, that means a lot to me! ;D

Giving you berth is a simple matter, Harry!

Standing back and watching you explore is worth its weight in gold! :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Wendell_E

Quote from: Harry on June 14, 2007, 09:21:54 AM
Should I be ashamed liking operettas I wonder?

Not at all!  Reserve shame for the day that you find yourself liking Lord Lloyd Webber's output.   ;D

I've decided life's too short to waste time on Die Fledermaus or The Dreary Widow, but Offenbach or Gilbert & Sullivan are fun on occasion.

uffeviking

Of course there are operetta fans, as you found out by now. They were quite vocal on the old forum, and I hope they'll come back here. I am one of them, I just don't talk about it, too busy with Wagner and Stockhausen!

Harry, you only mention Austrian operettas, have you ever checked out one of my favorites, a Berliner:

http://musicaltheatreguide.com/composers/lincke/lincke_paul.htm

Harry

Quote from: uffeviking on June 14, 2007, 09:34:21 AM
Of course there are operetta fans, as you found out by now. They were quite vocal on the old forum, and I hope they'll come back here. I am one of them, I just don't talk about it, too busy with Wagner and Stockhausen!

Harry, you only mention Austrian operettas, have you ever checked out one of my favorites, a Berliner:

http://musicaltheatreguide.com/composers/lincke/lincke_paul.htm

Well the 9 or so operettas I ordered are all on CPO, did get a fine deal there, and from there on I like recommendations, so I will check out this one you gave, but more is most welcome, I am sure!

Are there recordings Lis, of he ones below, and if yes, were?

Die Spreeamazone 1 act operetta (1896) - Apollo Theater, Berlin

Venus auf Erden - 1 act operetta (1897) - Apollo Theater, Berlin

Im Reiche des Indra (In the Realm of the Indra) Operetta; 1 act, 3 scenes; 18 December, 1899; Apollo Theater, Berlin

Frau Luna - Operetta; Originally 1 act then revised to 2 acts; Libretto by Heinrich Bolton-Bäckers; suggested by the Offenbach operetta Un voyage dans la lune; 31 December, 1899 Apollo Theater, Berlin. Presented in London as Castles In the Air.

Fräulein Loreley - Operetta; libretto by Heinrich Bolton-Bächers; 15 October, 1900 Apollo Theater, Berlin

Lysistrata; Operetta; 1 April 1902; Apollo Theater, Berlin

Nakiris Hochzeit (Nakiris' Wedding); Operetta; 6 November, 1902 Apollo Theater, Berlin

Prinzessin Rosine (Princess Rosine); Operetta; 18 November, 1905 Apollo Theater, Berlin

Grigri; Operetta; 25 March, 1911; Metropol Theater, Cologne

Casanova; Operetta; 5 November, 1913 Stadttheater, Chemnitz

Ein Liebestraum; operetta; Hamburg 1940

Harry

This is  really a good link for all operettas admirers.
Thanks Lis!

http://musicaltheatreguide.com/mainmenu.htm

The new erato

Quote from: Wendell_E on June 14, 2007, 09:32:37 AM
Not at all!  Reserve shame for the day that you find yourself liking Lord Lloyd Webber's output.   ;D

I certainly agree. Really disgusting stuff.

Harry

Quote from: erato on June 14, 2007, 09:45:26 AM
I certainly agree. Really disgusting stuff.

Well I will avoid nasty Webber then? ;D

uffeviking

You are very welcome!

Was reminded of one of my old time favorites: Im Weissen Rößl by Benatzky. A German friend sent me a recording he made of a TV performance and I almost cried seeing the damage that has been done by stupid directors! I hardly recognised the original work.

Yes, I have been at the Weisse Rößl for coffee and cake, but only once! Typical tourist trap with rude waiters!

Harry

Quote from: uffeviking on June 14, 2007, 09:54:35 AM
You are very welcome!

Yes, I have been at the Weisse Rößl for coffee and cake, but only once! Typical tourist trap with rude waiters!

Absolute correct! :(

uffeviking

While chatting about operettas, you need nourishment like this one from the Weiss Rößl:

uffeviking

My search for Paul Lincke operetta recordings didn't bring results. The only link I found was a Naxos site with some of his music:

http://www.naxos.com/composerinfo/621.htm#disco

zamyrabyrd

I would give ANYTHING (almost) to go back in time to 1927 and see the first "Showboat" on Broadway.
What wonderful, enduring songs--"Old Man River", "After the Ball"--the stuff of dreams!!

"After the break of morn, after the dancers leaving,
After the stars are gone; many a heart is aching,
If you could read them all; many the hopes that have vanished after the ball!"

"Dat Ol' Man River, he mus' know sumpin'
But don't say nuthin', he jus' keeps rollin',
He keeps on rollin' along.
He don' plant taters; He don' plant cotton,
An' dem dat plants 'em, is soon forgotten,
But Ol' Man River, he jes' keeps rollin' along."

And don't forget "birds got to swim and fish got to fly"...
(or the other way 'round)

ZB

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Harry

Quote from: uffeviking on June 14, 2007, 10:35:18 AM
My search for Paul Lincke operetta recordings didn't bring results. The only link I found was a Naxos site with some of his music:

http://www.naxos.com/composerinfo/621.htm#disco

Thanks for the trouble Lis.

Harry

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on June 14, 2007, 10:39:20 AM
I would give ANYTHING (almost) to go back in time to 1927 and see the first "Showboat" on Broadway.
What wonderful, enduring songs--"Old Man River", "After the Ball"--the stuff of dreams!!

"After the break of morn, after the dancers leaving,
After the stars are gone; many a heart is aching,
If you could read them all; many the hopes that have vanished after the ball!"

"Dat Ol' Man River, he mus' know sumpin'
But don't say nuthin', he jus' keeps rollin',
He keeps on rollin' along.
He don' plant taters; He don' plant cotton,
An' dem dat plants 'em, is soon forgotten,
But Ol' Man River, he jes' keeps rollin' along."

And don't forget "birds got to swim and fish got to fly"...
(or the other way 'round)

ZB

I rather enjoyed that ZB, thank you! :)

Harry

Quote from: uffeviking on June 14, 2007, 10:03:44 AM
While chatting about operettas, you need nourishment like this one from the Weiss Rößl:

I am making some tea, and will dream about the nourishment on the picture. ;D

Sergeant Rock

Although much operetta comes perilously close to being the very definition of Kitsch, I can enjoy it--yes, even Strauss: Die Fledermaus, Der Zigeunerbaron. I love American operetta: Bernstein's Candide, Kern's Showboat (closer to operetta than musical, I think).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

QuoteHe don' plant taters, he don' plant cotton,
He don' lissen to the music of Johnny Rotten . . . .

Tsaraslondon

Surely it's possible to like both opera and operetta. My preference is for opera, but this does not stop me giving operetta an occasional outing. A good performance of, say Die Fledermaus or Die lustige Witwe, or almost any of Offenbach's operettes, can certainly lift my spirits in a way that Otello or Tristan und Isolde probably wouldn't. I make no claims for them as great works of art; nor, I suspect, would their composers, but they are mini masterpieces of their genre.

Incidentally, if I am feeling low, there is one record always guaranteed to make me feel better. And it's an absolute feast of magnificent singing. Pure unadulterated joy from beginning to end.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas