Any operetta fans on the board.

Started by Harry, June 14, 2007, 07:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricon

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 15, 2007, 05:12:09 AM
  Surely you and Floresten are not implying that J. Strauss' Die Fledermaus is in the league of or stands shoulder to shoulder with Verdi's Falstaff or Wagner's Die Meistersingers von Nurnberg?? (both comedies mind you  ;) )

marvin

Die Fledermaus is really a quite different "comedy" from something like Meistersinger in that it's actually quite funny.

Florestan

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 15, 2007, 05:12:09 AM
  Surely you and Floresten are not implying that J. Strauss' Die Fledermaus is in the league of or stands shoulder to shoulder with Verdi's Falstaff or Wagner's Die Meistersingers von Nurnberg?? (both comedies mind you  ;) )

marvin

I don't know about erato, but I'm implying that Late Romanticism, with its big, overcrowded orchestras, its mammoth-like compositions and its philosophical and metaphysical pretenses has led many --- youngsters especially --- astray into believing that that's the only legitimate, necessary and valid kind of music. I know Wagnerites and Mahlerites who mock and ridicule Italian operas (Verdi included) for not being serious and profound, dismiss Mozart for being soft and shallow, never ever bother to hear any composition written for less than 30 instruments and think German Late Romanticism is the pinnacle of mankind's spiritual achievements. It is against such a narrow and distorted worldview that I stand up in protest.

And I'm also implying no offense to anyone. :)

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Good! :)
Because this thread is created to talk about operetta, and not Wagner and friends, Enough threads about them I would say! ;D

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: bricon on June 14, 2007, 08:00:39 PM
If anything more care needs to be taken when casting and directing operettas (than operas) because they cannot be "saved" by superlative singing alone. They cannot be successfully performed by stand-and-delver singers (regardless of how good their voices may be); they usually require singing actors with exemplary comedic timing (a rarity among opera singers) and direction that never allows a show to "sag". All of the artistic elements must be of the highest order for an operetta to succeed on-stage.

The finest operetta performers tend to specialize in the area, the stage skills required are usually of a higher standard than most opera singers are capable of producing. Operettas tend to be more ensemble pieces than many operas, a standout superstar performer will not be able to save an inadequate operetta production if the rest of the cast are not also first rate and combine well together.

Word. Best post in this thread.

The new erato

Thank you Florestan for writing my answer... ;D; point is, they are different animals and the Meistersinger is not better because it is bigger (and noisier). As I said in another post, I'd choose opera without doubt as an genre if I have to, but fortunately I don't.

Florestan

Quote from: bricon on June 15, 2007, 05:39:38 AM
Die Fledermaus is really a quite different "comedy" from something like Meistersinger in that it's actually quite funny.

I'm with you on that. I've listened to Meistersinger and haven't had a single laughter. Actually I was rather crying for the time lost.  ;D

But the idea of Wagner writing a comedy --- that is indeed comic, and very funny for that matter.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

How about some more recommendations for operettas besides the ones I ordered.????

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on June 15, 2007, 06:15:21 AM
How about some more recommendations for operettas besides the ones I ordered.????

Anything by Karl Millocker is worth hearing, but especially Der Bettelstudent and Gasparone.

marvinbrown

I see that I am surrounded by operetta fans here who insist on proving their point..well if you believe that operetta has something special to offer that opera can not offer more power to you. As for me I know what quality is.  

marvin  

Harry

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 15, 2007, 06:27:10 AM
 I see that I am surrounded by operetta fans here who insist on proving their point..well if you believe that operetta has something special to offer that opera can not offer more power to you. As for me I know what quality is.  

marvin  

Why Marvin not accept that operetta can offer also a form of quality, and not to see it as a lesser ofspring of opera?

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on June 15, 2007, 06:25:24 AM
Anything by Karl Millocker is worth hearing, but especially Der Bettelstudent and Gasparone.

That's the spirit, Andrei, some more on my list. ;D

The new erato

marvin   
No points to prove. I like - some of them - for what they offer and for the opportunity they provide for some glorious singing that I find "more relaxed and natural" than many opera performances.

Florestan

if you believe that operetta has something special to offer that opera can not offer

See? That's exactly my point: you seem to think in terms of either / or. How about both / and?

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on June 15, 2007, 06:30:23 AM
That's the spirit, Andrei, some more on my list. ;D

Carl Zeller's Der Vogelhandler.

And that whole load of Zarzuelas, don't forget them. :)

marvinbrown

Quote from: Harry on June 15, 2007, 06:29:43 AM
Why Marvin not accept that operetta can offer also a form of quality, and not to see it as a lesser ofspring of opera?

Harry that was exactly my point, I did not want to say it out loud for fear of being trampled on but now that you mentioned it, yes I believe (just an opinion) that operetta is a LESSAR offspring of opera.  In my opinion, enjoy operetta as much as you like but treat it not as a final destination but rather a temporary stop on your way to opera land.  

I think we beat this subject to death.  Harry to address your concerns I have one version of Die Fledermaus (its the one with Placibo Domingo conducting in Covent Garden, the sound quality is very good...check it out).  

marvin

marvin

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on June 15, 2007, 06:42:33 AM
Carl Zeller's Der Vogelhandler.

And that whole load of Zarzuelas, don't forget them. :)

I won't my friend, just keep them coming.

Florestan

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on June 14, 2007, 05:29:26 PM
Harry, are you saying you don't mind sopranos if they're singing Lehar, but you do if they sing Verdi?

Good question. I'm puzzled too, Harry.  :)

Harry

Ordered this DVD.
Comments welcome! :)

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on June 15, 2007, 06:48:32 AM
Good question. I'm puzzled too, Harry.  :)

You all are reading only what you want to see, not what I actually wrote dudes! ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on June 15, 2007, 06:51:31 AM
You all are reading only what you want to see, not what I actually wrote dudes! ;D

I know, I know... vibrato-less. But are there no vibratos in operettas?  ;D