Any operetta fans on the board.

Started by Harry, June 14, 2007, 07:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Curious, enough people seem to like opera, and yet a lighter form of singing is neglected.
Why would that be? The music is as good as any other, so why is there a blank space in the minds of music lovers, if it comes to operetta?
On my order list for this month are also, works from Franz Lehar, Suppe, Kalman, Strauss, all in all 9 operettas.
Somehow this kind of singing works for me. Would like to share it with a equally interested board! ;D

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on June 14, 2007, 07:55:30 AM
The music is as good as any other.

I have difficulties agreeing with this.  :P

Maybe there are good operettas but I am not aware of them.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

springrite

There are a few (keyword: FEW) operettas that I do enjoy, such as The Merry Widow, Land of Smiles, etc. But overall, I do not consider any of them anywhere close to being masterpieces. What is more, for me they do not stand up for repeated listening. They work well as a change of pace kind of music, not much different than my listening to some Country Western in between other listenings. I have never listened to more than 2 or 3 hours of operetta music in any given month.

Harry, you may enjoy the SINGING more than the standard opera singing. But there is NO WAY that the music is as good. It is like I can listen to Mahler, Brahms, Hartmann, Beethoven, Medtner, etc. day in and day out. But I refuse to listen to the Vienna New Year's Concert day in and day out, even though I do enjoy them ON THAT DAY.

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on June 14, 2007, 08:05:37 AM

Well this reaction I kind of expected. :)

Harry

Quote from: springrite on June 14, 2007, 08:17:03 AM
There are a few (keyword: FEW) operettas that I do enjoy, such as The Merry Widow, Land of Smiles, etc. But overall, I do not consider any of them anywhere close to being masterpieces. What is more, for me they do not stand up for repeated listening. They work well as a change of pace kind of music, not much different than my listening to some Country Western in between other listenings. I have never listened to more than 2 or 3 hours of operetta music in any given month.

Harry, you may enjoy the SINGING more than the standard opera singing. But there is NO WAY that the music is as good. It is like I can listen to Mahler, Brahms, Hartmann, Beethoven, Medtner, etc. day in and day out. But I refuse to listen to the Vienna New Year's Concert day in and day out, even though I do enjoy them ON THAT DAY.

Uhuh, this reaction was also no surprise, no harm intended though! ;D ;D

PerfectWagnerite

I love operas, I don't like operettas. To me they reek of pop music. You can't pay me to listen to most operettas.

The new erato

I like operettas, particularly from the Lehar/Kalman generation, because they lie so naturally for the voice and encourages such a lot of great singing. (incidentally this is also why I love such a lot of early baroque vocal music as well, eg Monteverdis operas etc. ). Usually not towering masterpieces, nor were they meant to be, but entertaining and in the right performances with such a lot of glorious singing. The Naxos historic archives are full of gems. Not so fond of Strauss, the plots are usually too sophorific. Crimson, Yes and operettas in one day....I feel eclectic.

BachQ

Harry, as you know, I generally dislike operettas ...... and so I agree with 71 dB .........

Quote from: 71 dB on June 14, 2007, 08:05:37 AM

springrite

Quote from: erato on June 14, 2007, 08:52:26 AM
Usually not towering masterpieces, nor were they meant to be.

This is so true. I have no problem with people enjoying any kind of music. But don't make them out to be something even their creators did not mean them to be, nor think that they are. I don't think Lehar would ever agree that his operettas are "equal" or "just as good" ... They are good works and excellent for what they were. But don't stretch it, I'd say.

Harry

Quote from: erato on June 14, 2007, 08:52:26 AM
I like operettas, particularly from the Lehar/Kalman generation, because they lie so naturally for the voice and encourages such a lot of great singing. (incidentally this is also why I love such a lot of early baroque vocal music as well, eg Monteverdis operas etc. ). Usually not towering masterpieces, nor were they meant to be, but entertaining and in the right performances with such a lot of glorious singing. The Naxos historic archives are full of gems. Not so fond of Strauss, the plots are usually too sophorific. Crimson, Yes and operettas in one day....I feel eclectic.

Wonderful news Erato, Lehar/Kalman compositions are also my favourite.
Capital! :)

Harry

Quote from: D Minor on June 14, 2007, 08:58:13 AM
Harry, as you know, I generally dislike operettas ...... and so I agree with 71 dB .........

Yes thank you my friend, I sort of expected that too! ;D ;D
Well finally 71 Db has some sort of support, which is nice too.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: springrite on June 14, 2007, 08:17:03 AM

Great analogy. Agree 100%.

Harry, opera is the better bet. Operettas are like bonbons that may tickle the palate but offer little that's nutritious.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Harry

Quote from: springrite on June 14, 2007, 09:07:27 AM
This is so true. I have no problem with people enjoying any kind of music. But don't make them out to be something even their creators did not mean them to be, nor think that they are. I don't think Lehar would ever agree that his operettas are "equal" or "just as good" ... They are good works and excellent for what they were. But don't stretch it, I'd say.

O, blimey don't stretch my words to far Paul, it was my opinion, that it was as good, and I fully understand that most of the posters disagree. I never said they were towering masterpieces, only that they bring me great joy, that's all, you would not begrudge me that now would you? ;D ;D
Equal and just as good are my words, not those from a composer.

Harry

Quote from: donwyn on June 14, 2007, 09:11:03 AM
Great analogy. Agree 100%.

Harry, opera is the better bet. Operettas are like bonbons that may tickle the palate but offer little that's nutritious.

Well I thought lets first start with the lighter fare, and than work my way to a sequel of Boris! ;D

springrite

Quote from: Harry on June 14, 2007, 09:13:37 AM
O, blimey don't stretch my words to far Paul, ...I never said they were towering masterpieces.

Of course you are right, but I was quoting and replying to erato.  ;D

Harry

Should I be ashamed liking operettas I wonder?
I always liked them, but suppressed this for years, and still many of my music friends are unaware of it, and I rather would like that to be secret. For they think also that it is a sort of second rate music, made for sissys.
But I am fed up with hiding what I afterall like, so this is my coming out.
For serious opera along the lines I stated I want to be guided, but my love for operetta will have a important part in my life, from now on.
Sorry about that. :)

The new erato

Schwarzkopf and Gedda singing Land des Lachelns eg., anyone with the slightest interest in the glories of the human voice must melt listening to it. And the music is extremely melodious and charming. It does what it's meant to do (charm) very well, without pretending to be a competitor to Boris Godunov. No doubt whta is the masterpiece, still I listen to the Lehar more often.....call me shallow. ;D

The new erato

PS I love the classical American Musical as well- even though my favorite composers are Bach and Beethoven!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Harry on June 14, 2007, 09:14:37 AM
Well I thought lets first start with the lighter fare, and than work my way to a sequel of Boris! ;D

Ah, nicely done, then! If it's garnishments you're after then operettas should complement Boris nicely! ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Harry

Quote from: erato on June 14, 2007, 09:22:36 AM
Schwarzkopf and Gedda singing Land des Lachelns eg., anyone with the slightest interest in the glories of the human voice must melt listening to it. And the music is extremely melodious and charming. It does what it's meant to do (charm) very well, without pretending to be a competitor to Boris Godunov. No doubt what is the masterpiece, still I listen to the Lehar more often.....call me shallow. ;D

Two shallow posters liking Lehar.

I would never come into my head that I could compare Boris to a Lehar operetta! ::)