Chamber music : Unusual ensembles

Started by quintett op.57, December 24, 2009, 03:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: Grazioso on December 31, 2009, 03:14:04 AM
Boccherini wrote numerous string quintets scored for two cellos.

Yes, I'm aware of those. And of course, the grander conception for the ensemble by Schubert.

Now, I just searched the forum for "two cellos." While I did not find post I was looking for, I did run into older ones which mention Arensky's string quartet employing two cellos. (No. 2 in A minor, Op. 35.)

Regards,
Navneeth

listener

just bought Olympia OCD 710 containing L.Bernstein's Variations on an Octatonic Scale for recorder and cello
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

glindhot

Quote from: Carolus on December 25, 2009, 02:22:21 AM
Holst:quintet for piano, oboe,clarinet, horn and faggot.

Mozart: quintet for piano, oboe, clarinet, horn and faggot
Beethoven: quintet for piano, oboe, clarinet, horn and faggot
Rimsky Korsakoff: quintet for piano, flute, clarinet, horn and faggot

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

You're trying to suggest that a piece for two harps is an unusual ensemble, is that it?

Franco

I wish Stockhausen had not gotten into electronic music and had written more music for conventional ensembles and instruments. 

Franco

Quote from: James on March 04, 2010, 11:42:47 AM
What a moronic statement, but coming from you it's not surprising tho.

LOL

Nor is your response surprising.

Ten thumbs

If you don't know these, you should;
Bonis: Op 72 Septuor-Fantaisie ou Concerto for piano, two flutes and string quartet
                    Op 123 Scènes de la Forêt for piano, flute and horn (also arranged for harp, flute             and cello.)
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

snyprrr

In one of Chavez's songs, the singer is accompanied by a 'string quartet' which consists of flute, clarinet, viola, bassoon.

Xenakis- N'Shima, for 2 peasant voices, 2horns, 2tbones, cello

Here's my choice:

piccolo
trumpet
percussion/piano/harp/harpsichord/guitar/mandolin ( ;D)
viola,... or, a santur (double  ;D),... or, is that a sambar?? haha
tuba

ALL STRANGE ENSEMBLES MUST HAVE A TUBA OR PICCOLO!!!

Soprano and doublebass, or flute and doublebass, is very popular (Dusapin, Dillon)

I hate things like, mmm,...violin and woodblock.

I HATE THE WOODBLOCK!! >:D

abidoful

I'm surprised that this one has been overllooked;
Claude Debussy (!) - Sonate pour flute, alto et harpe (1916)
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :'( :'(  :'( :'( :'( >:D >:D >:D >:D>:D

Popov

Vladimir Shcherbachov's strikingly beautiful 1919 Nonet is scored for soprano (without text), flute, harp, piano, string quartet - and mime!

So if you listen to a recording it's actually an Octet ;D

jochanaan

Quote from: James on June 29, 2010, 07:03:00 AM
Gould was a genius,one of the greatest musicians and musical thinkers of the last century ...
That may be, but he was a notorious misanthrope towards composers other than his beloved Bach.

I prefer Stravinsky's saying about Mozart: "Too easy for amateurs, too hard for professionals." ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Maestro267

The Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos wrote for some unusual chamber ensembles. For example, in the Choros series we have:

No. 3 for clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, 3 horns and trombone.
No. 4 for 3 horns and trombone
No. 7 for flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, violin, cello and an offstage tam-tam

Sexteto mistico, for flute, oboe, saxophone, harp, celesta and guitar

Biffo

Janacek wrote three chamber works for unusual combinations -

Mladi (Youth) - for the conventional wind quintet of flute, oboe, clarinet and horn plus a bass clarinet
Concertino - for piano, clarinet, bassoon, horn, two violins and viola
Capriccio - for piano (left hand), flute/piccolo, two trumpets, three trombones and tenor tuba - this is verging on the orchestral but still small enough to be considered chamber

Karl Henning

While we are in the thread necropolis  8)

Quote from: abidoful on May 27, 2010, 09:22:38 AM
I'm surprised that this one has been [overlooked];
Claude Debussy (!) - Sonate pour flute, alto et harpe (1916)

But, its greatness has meant that many pieces have since employed that trio.

Why, I have written one, myself . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Two unusual ensembles of mine own:

Out in the Sun, Op.88 for two clarinets (cl 2 = bass cl), saxophone quartet (sop, alto, ten, bar), three trombones (2 tenor, 1 bass) and tuba

And, lo!  What should I discover by seeming chance this morning, but that the piece has been played again just this year!

http://www.youtube.com/v/YdtFnpuugPc

And:  In the Artist's Studio (There's a wide world in there), Op.107 for Eb sopranino clarinet, 3 oboes, alto flute, Cor anglais, tenor saxophone, bass clarinet, contrabassoon, 4 horns, three trombones (2 tenor, 1 bass), tuba & harp.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 27, 2018, 03:25:23 AM
Two unusual ensembles of mine own:

Out in the Sun, Op.88 for two clarinets (cl 2 = bass cl), saxophone quartet (sop, alto, ten, bar), three trombones (2 tenor, 1 bass) and tuba

And:  In the Artist's Studio (There's a wide world in there), Op.107 for Eb sopranino clarinet, 3 oboes, alto flute, Cor anglais, tenor saxophone, bass clarinet, contrabassoon, 4 horns, three trombones (2 tenor, 1 bass), tuba & harp.

Amen!   0:)

In the Artist's Studio is another all-around fave!  Maybe our Ann Arbor supporters can give that a test drive!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

One of my favorites from an unusual ensemble: Martinů's Musique de Chambre No. 1, for clarinet, violin, viola, cello, harp and piano, H. 376. I wouldn't say this is an unusual ensemble per se, but the clarinet added into the string-laden texture of the music is quite interesting plus the percussiveness of the piano part.

Capeditiea

...being a composer that already has strange instrumentation... (one of which is Organ, Harpsichord, Piano, Vibraphone, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass)

i have a hard time seeing many strange works.

...*thinks,