Beethoven's Songs

Started by Bogey, June 14, 2007, 12:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torut

Yes, many gems. I've been listening to these songs every morning. From lovely short pieces to powerful works in a bold style, Beethoven's characterstics are presented in these songs very well. I should have listened to them earlier.

I didn't know that the melody of the Ode to Joy in Symphony No. 9 (1824) appeared in WoO 118 (1795), preceding Op. 80 Choral Fantasy (1808).

Jo498

The choral part of op.80 is based on the melody of the "Gegenliebe" song WoO 118. The ode to joy melody is different (although Beethoven had thought about setting Schiller's poem already before 1800).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

torut

Quote from: Jo498 on October 15, 2014, 11:10:56 PM
The choral part of op.80 is based on the melody of the "Gegenliebe" song WoO 118. The ode to joy melody is different (although Beethoven had thought about setting Schiller's poem already before 1800).
Right, there is some resemblance but they are different.

I am also interested in Beethoven's folk song arrangements. Is DG's 7-disc set the only complete collection? I will get it or some 1-disc albums.

Jo498

I believe the DG Archiv is the only complete one. However, there might have been another one from East German productions of the 70s, but I am not sure and have only seen discs with excerpts.
I got the DG Archiv when it was cheap, but I admit that I probably have not heard all 7 discs, although I am quite fond of the music. I would not pay the $100 asked on the amazon marketplace.

The disc that made me fall in love with the folk songs and which is still a favorite is unfortunately out of print (the cloudy one), but the one without the picture is also quite good (a somewhat different collection, although there is a little overlap). There are quite a few discs out their with anthologies of these songs (a bit can be sampled on youtube as well); I have another one from Channel Classics and one from the DG Fischer-Dieskau edition.

The tunes may be more or less traditional (or whatever their source), but to me it is obvious that Beethoven really cared about this arrangements and overall it is entertaining and often very moving music.
There are even more folksong arrangements by Haydn, but they are overall simpler "lighter" and I do prefer Beethoven's settings. Brilliant recorded the whole bunch (with Scottish singers and the Eisenstadt Trio, also some funding from scottish sources, I believe), but I only have a few discs, not all of them.

[asin]B00005RCZ0[/asin] [asin]B000002A4X[/asin]
[asin]B000009J2N[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

torut

Thank you, Jo498. Looks very interesting. The DG set and the Hantaï's album are available on mp3, but the CD versions are all OOP. ??? Beethoven's songs are really attractive. (I have Haydn's Scottish and Welsh songs included in the Brilliant box, but I have not heard all of them yet. So many ...)

king ubu

How well do Daneman, Agnew et al acquit themselves accent-wise? Not that I'd consider buying the disc at the ridiculous prices being asked right now, but I'm curious about it!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Jo498

They are all three native speakers; all of the songs are in English (they do not try any Scots or Irish accents as far as I recall).
- Blaise Pascal

kishnevi

Quote from: Jo498 on October 18, 2014, 09:52:30 AM
They are all three native speakers; all of the songs are in English (they do not try any Scots or Irish accents as far as I recall).

Unlike Fischer-Dieskau, with such lack of success that even the liner notes made a small joke at his expense on the subject.

king ubu

Quote from: Jo498 on October 18, 2014, 09:52:30 AM
Daneman as well? Wasn't sure about Agnew (I so strongly associate him with French music).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Jo498

Agnew was born in Glasgow (1964), according to wikipedia; I was unsure about Daneman (assumed Belgian), but she is said to be English and studied at Guildhall, although her career took of in France with Christie's ensemble and French baroque music. She is good in those songs (while I think she is considerably overtaxed with the major Handel roles like Theodora and Delila).

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/sophie-daneman-mn0002183621/biography
- Blaise Pascal

king ubu

Quote from: Jo498 on October 19, 2014, 09:53:14 AM
Agnew was born in Glasgow (1964), according to wikipedia; I was unsure about Daneman (assumed Belgian), but she is said to be English and studied at Guildhall, although her career took of in France with Christie's ensemble and French baroque music. She is good in those songs (while I think she is considerably overtaxed with the major Handel roles like Theodora and Delila).

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/sophie-daneman-mn0002183621/biography
Thx! I'm familiar with Daneman more from various Christie discs of motets etc. rather than operas ... but if ever this Beethoven disc turns up again, I'll definitely get it!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!