Great Pastoral Music

Started by Beetzart, December 29, 2009, 03:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetzart

Can you recommend me great pieces of classical music that contain lovely pastoral tune? I like Beethoven's 6th very much, are there more pastoral symphonies by other composers?
How dreadful knowledge of truth can be when there is no  help in truth.

offbeat

Hi Karl Bohm ( good name )
the obvious one for me is Vaughan Williams symphony 3 (pastoral) - although not really the same as the Beethoven - it was written around the end of the first world war and has a strong mystical feel which for me is totally unique. Its strictly an atmospheric work with many undertones of the troubles around that time.
Another that springs to mind is Honeggers Pastoral d'Ete which is recommended although not sure its typical of the composer

hope y enjoy the forum  :)

Opus106

Much of Dvořák. And late-Romantic Czech composers in general. (At least my "listening equipment" (GMG parlance for the listener's mind/taste) registers them as such. :))

Welcome to the forum, Herr Bohm. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Spotswood

Brahms's Second has been often called his Pastoral Symphony, even though it doesn't bear that title. The first two movements are certainly sunny enough to qualify. (The Fourth is his Tragic, and the Third his Eroica.)

Oh, and Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring I think qualifies as a bona fide, homegrown American Pastoral. I always recommend the original, 13 instrument version, though the suite for full orchestra is easier to find ... 

I second the sentiment of Opus 106: Welcome to the Forum.