Author Topic: Nørgård's Niche  (Read 63206 times)

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
Re: Nørgård's Niche
« Reply #340 on: May 21, 2021, 06:52:06 AM »
Thank you, didn't know about this release.

I see that the early quintet is op.1; I really like some early Nørgård, such as the 'Solo Intimo' for cello op.8 and the 'Clarinet Trio' op.15, an earlier LP on the Paula label containing especially fine renditions of those works (never on CD, apparently).

The 1st Symphony 'Austera', also fine, has opus no.13.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 07:30:28 PM by MusicTurner »

Offline not edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #341 on: May 21, 2021, 07:34:53 AM »
It's extraordinary how quickly Nørgård was growing at this point.

The first symphony was begun less than 12 months after the quintet was completed, and the level of inspiration and structural rigour is night and day: Holmboe was clearly an exceptional asset in his development.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Offline CRCulver

« Reply #342 on: May 21, 2021, 05:24:54 PM »
Yeah, the big draw of this release is Cantica, because we now have digital recordings of all of the pieces that Nørgård wrote in the late 1970s using the Året melody. The Opus 1 also fills in a gap in the discography. But I don’t see the point of another release of The Secret Melody, especially considering that there are so many works in his catalogue that have not been recorded at all yet.

Offline not edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2021, 06:51:12 AM »
Yeah, the big draw of this release is Cantica, because we now have digital recordings of all of the pieces that Nørgård wrote in the late 1970s using the Året melody.
Is there a recording of the instrumental version of Now all the Earth is white as snow? I only have one that is performed concurrently with some of the choral Året works.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Offline CRCulver

« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2021, 08:32:53 PM »
Finally managed to listen to Cantica, which got its premiere recording on the Dacapo disc earlier this year. I was struck by the sudden emotional turns in the first movement, which look ahead to the Wölfli period. I had heard it said that the piece Seadrift, written before Nørgård’s first encounter with Wölfli’s art, showed that the composer was already feeling the need to explore conflict and polarities. This piece, too, suggests some creative turmoil was already going on in 1977.