Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, January 15, 2010, 03:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on July 30, 2017, 08:38:41 AM
I'd said it before and I reiterate it now: afaIc, no melody, no music. I guess I should really stick with Late Baroque, Classical and Romantic --- and that's where I actually do stick ;D

Yes but let's get back to Sweelinck, because I bet that one reason that XB-70 could enjoy his stuff is that in some things sweet melody is the hook, same with Peter Philips, less so with Byrd. I think you should listen to some Sweelinck and Philips when you're next in the mood.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on July 30, 2017, 09:18:49 AM
Yes but let's get back to Sweelinck,

By all means, sorry for the disruption!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Quote from: Marc on July 30, 2017, 02:57:15 AM
Funny, because, when organ music is played in a church with large acoustics and more reverb, I prefer a faster tempo with apt phrasing and not that much legato, to give the reverb a lesser chance to make the sound diffuse.
So far, this has been my listening experience, both in live concerts and at my 'hifi' home. Hence I did not have any problems with this specific recording.

The Ricercar is indeed a great piece... I should listen to JPS more often. ;)

Btw, so far I have not checked Schoonbroodt's own website, because, according to my (Norton) internet safety control, his site is 'probably hacked'. :blank:

I listened today to Schoonbroodt playing the A minor ricercar SwVW 280. It is fabulous really, really off the rails, like it's going to explode with intense energy. . And as if to confound us all, he takes longer than anyone else I know - though it still appears fast. It just is such exciting and committed playing it's irrsistable. It's incredible how sometimes these ricercars - which are just basically imitation really - can sometimes take off like that, I mean you wouldn't think that 12 minutes of imitation could sound so wild.

Carlo Gesualdo

Thanks to Traverso I purchased Sweelinck complete Organ and Harpsicord, it's fantastic , dear Traverso whom subject me this on currently listening wow almost 7 hours of Sweelinck and I absolutly love his Keyboard works, no mater if it's organ or harpiscord this is top-notch release.

Did someone purchased it and like it as I , great Job Brilliant Classical.

vers la flamme

Quote from: deprofundis on April 09, 2020, 09:43:46 AM
Thanks to Traverso I purchased Sweelinck complete Organ and Harpsicord, it's fantastic , dear Traverso whom subject me this on currently listening wow almost 7 hours of Sweelinck and I absolutly love his Keyboard works, no mater if it's organ or harpiscord this is top-notch release.

Did someone purchased it and like it as I , great Job Brilliant Classical.

Wow, that looks like an excellent deal. I can't say I know anything about Sweelinck, but I have been meaning to check out his music for some time. I'll be considering this as a point of entry.

bioluminescentsquid

Happy Sweelinck 400th death day everyone!

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on July 30, 2017, 04:35:01 AM
I remember a discussion here a few years ago with Premont, Marc and me where I said much the same sort of thing about Italian keyboard music, renaissance and baroque for me, though I've always been able to appreciate Frescobaldi. Here's my latest infatuation in Italian music though, the Storace Patoralle, which seems to me to anticipate Steve Reich

http://youtube.com/v/XToncb7-1gs
Sorry, what is Storace Patoralle? 

Mandryka

Fabio Bonizzoni's recording of the Storace Pastorale.

Que

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 16, 2021, 12:46:47 AM
Happy Sweelinck 400th death day everyone!

Such an amazing composer that I discovered rather late. And from the Netherlands... 8)

Luckily the celebratory Sweelinck Edition (Glossa) does him full justice.