Roslavets' Rig

Started by sonic1, January 17, 2010, 10:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2017, 12:01:11 PM
Just discovering Roslavets. The Chamber Symphony is great - it reminds me of the kind of music associated with the Bauhaus in Germany. In the Hours of the New Moon is a fine, poetic score. Have just ordered the violin concerti and the Viola Sonata.

Very nice, Jeffrey. You remind that I need to revisit Rosavets' music as it's been far too long since I've listened to anything from him.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 17, 2017, 12:06:52 PM
Very nice, Jeffrey. You remind that I need to revisit Rosavets' music as it's been far too long since I've listened to anything from him.
Thanks John. The Chamber Symphony (not often a genre I like) has been a great discovery for me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2017, 12:13:21 PM
Thanks John. The Chamber Symphony (not often a genre I like) has been a great discovery for me.

I like a few chamber symphonies, but my favorites are those of Schoenberg's.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 17, 2017, 12:28:32 PM
I like a few chamber symphonies, but my favorites are those of Schoenberg's.
Something else for me to discover!  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2017, 12:30:05 PM
Something else for me to discover!  :)

Oh, you haven't heard Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Nos. 1 & 2? You must remedy this soon.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 17, 2017, 12:32:47 PM
Oh, you haven't heard Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Nos. 1 & 2? You must remedy this soon.
Will do John!

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 17, 2017, 12:06:52 PM

another intriguing Composer

nodogen

Quote from: snyprrr on September 03, 2017, 08:26:07 AM
another intriguing Composer

His piano music is indeed in the same ball park as Scriabin, but not as brilliantly brilliant (IMHO).

snyprrr

Quote from: nodogen on September 03, 2017, 08:45:40 AM
His piano music is indeed in the same ball park as Scriabin, but not as brilliantly brilliant (IMHO).

I'm seeing now that Scriabin loses me at the end with Sonata 9, 'Vers la Flamme', and the Op.74 Preludes... it's like, with those Preludes, he has now stepped over into what appears to be an OVER LITERALness,...

remember how Webern got all spooky with the String Trio pieces, but then got CRYSTALLIZED by the time of the highly etched String Quartet Op.28,... ?... I'm getting the same feeling with Scriabin,... and Bartok for that matter (Malipiero also has a peculiarly morbid style 1914-1917),,, (Prokofiev's 'Visions Fugitives', a style he was not to return to)...

...they all had "mysterious" phases that were later overtaken by a "pruning" technique that made some of their later works much more... "literal"..."pruned"...lol, "Messiaen-like"...

ROSLAVETS, then, seems to be stuck in that Late Scriabin style of which I'm a little less enamored. HOWEVER, I was listening to Hamelin's 'live' Etudes, and they were awesome,... but I didn't quite enjoy the Sonata No.2 as much.

Looking around, I have his PT3, the SQ, most cello works, and the Piano Preludes...

IS THERE LITERALLY A "GREATEST CHAMBER WORK" (not the Ch.Sym.), or Piano Work,... because, so much Roslavets sounds the same to me some times :(

Symphonic Addict

I was revisiting this CD today:

Two magnificent works by the Russian Nikolai Roslavets. This Chamber Symphony (which employs nine solo woodwind, two horns, trumpet, piano, string quartet and double bass) would come being his second one, and quite possibly the title chamber symphony might be misleading as this is a meaty work lasting almost 56 minutes. An impressive piece with attractive pathos and dissonances. The another work In den Stunden des Neumonds (In the hours of the New Moon) is not a mere filler. It's a haunting, evocative and alluring piece tinged with certain "dark" impressionist gestures. It reminded me of Scriabin, Bax and Debussy at their most somber. A winning CD all-around.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 21, 2020, 06:54:43 PM
I was revisiting this CD today:

Two magnificent works by the Russian Nikolai Roslavets. This Chamber Symphony (which employs nine solo woodwind, two horns, trumpet, piano, string quartet and double bass) would come being his second one, and quite possibly the title chamber symphony might be misleading as this is a meaty work lasting almost 56 minutes. An impressive piece with attractive pathos and dissonances. The another work In den Stunden des Neumonds (In the hours of the New Moon) is not a mere filler. It's a haunting, evocative and alluring piece tinged with certain "dark" impressionist gestures. It reminded me of Scriabin, Bax and Debussy at their most somber. A winning CD all-around.
Totally agree Cesar - great cover art as well.

The picture reminded me of 'The Great Conjunction' (of Jupiter and Saturn) that we were supposed to be able to witness in the night sky last night. Needless to say it was thick cloud and fog here all evening  ::)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on December 21, 2020, 11:06:42 PM
Totally agree Cesar - great cover art as well.

The picture reminded me of 'The Great Conjunction' (of Jupiter and Saturn) that we were supposed to be able to witness in the night sky last night. Needless to say it was thick cloud and fog here all evening  ::)

Nothing different here either. Now we'll have to wait other 20 years for the next conjunction.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

I'd forgotten how good the Chamber Symphony is as well.