The Librettist is an Author, Too

Started by karlhenning, June 15, 2007, 07:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Lucky old Strauss family, still raking it in and having done nothing for it but be born in the right bed. But that's life and on that basis, I guess Hoffy's lot also deserve their unearned share.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Michel

i've always thought Strauss' libretti sucked.

knight66

Odd...they are amongst the most literate and intelligent. Perhaps wordy for 21 cent. taste, but unlike most, they can just about stand up without the music.

Mike

Michel

Quote from: knight on June 17, 2007, 03:40:50 AM
Odd...they are amongst the most literate and intelligent. Perhaps wordy for 21 cent. taste, but unlike most, they can just about stand up without the music.

Thats just a repition of what everyone else says. Strauss is massively over-rated.

knight66

And that is just thoughtless banter, I have read the libretti.

Mike

Maciek

Hey, it's not as if Hoffmansthal is some sort of literary nonentity! He is a very decent writer and absolutely deserves the (moderate) fame he has earned.

val

QuoteMrOsa

Hey, it's not as if Hoffmansthal is some sort of literary nonentity! He is a very decent writer and absolutely deserves the (moderate) fame he has earned.

I agree.
To me his best work is the drama "Jedermann" - the subject reminds the libretto of Elgar's Dream of Gerontius. Frank Martin composed music for some monologues.