Gavriil Popov 1904-1972

Started by vandermolen, January 18, 2010, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Now, here is an interesting composer if you like Russian/Soviet composers.  Popov sadly drank himself to death having suffered years of neglect and condemnation at the hands of the soviet authorities (his music was condemned along with the music of his friend Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Miaskovsky, Shebalin, Kabalevsky and Khachaturian in 1948). His First Symphony (Telarc) is the only score I know which can hold up its head alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony (Vainberg's 5th is another possible contender). Popov's symphonies were once available on the defunct Olympia label and now are only around at more or less ridiculous prices (there was a great CD with symphonies 1 and 2 on). However, the Russian Northern Flowers label has just issued Popov's epic wartime Symphony 2 'Motherland', which whilst being more conformist than the phatasmagoric First Symphony, is both powerful and moving. If you like Shostakovich's 7th or 8th symphonies or Khachaturian's Symphony No 2 'The Bell', this might be for you. It is coupled with some high quality film music and the agitprop 'Red Cavalry Campaign: Symphonic poster for large orchestra and male chorus' from 1941.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

John Copeland

Sounds bloody fabulous.  Where did you get it?

MN Dave

Yes, and when are you going to upload it?  ;D

John Copeland

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 18, 2010, 06:24:49 PM
Yes, and when are you going to upload it?  ;D

Yes, well, that was what I was hinting at too, but was far too polite to suggest.   :P 

MN Dave

Quote from: John on January 18, 2010, 06:27:22 PM
Yes, well, that was what I was hinting at too, but was far too polite to suggest.   :P

Are you saying I'm not polite? How rude!  >:(

The new erato

http://www.russiancdshop.com/ is reasonably cheap, quick and very dependable if you have a Paypal account.

vandermolen

Quote from: John on January 18, 2010, 05:37:46 PM
Sounds bloody fabulous.  Where did you get it?

MDT Mail Order in Derby.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MN Dave

I didn't really expect an upload, by the way.  ;D

But it sure wasn't on Amazon US: My usual online shopping stop.

snyprrr

Isn't he the "other" composer Shosty had a picture of on his mantle?

Also, I get get Popov's and Shebalin's String Quartet Cycles confused. Does anyone have The Goods here?

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on January 19, 2010, 08:38:03 PM
Isn't he the "other" composer Shosty had a picture of on his mantle?

Also, I get get Popov's and Shebalin's String Quartet Cycles confused. Does anyone have The Goods here?

I think it was Shebalin.  Don't know how to do uploads anyway - took me months to work out how to include a picture with my posts.  Would be happy, if I knew how, to upload a movement from the Symphony.

vandermolen

Sef

I love youtube!

Symphony No. 3:

http://www.youtube.com/v/SVbl3jEYd-Y

or Symphony No. 1:

http://www.youtube.com/v/jpH8H-ZuI0g&feature=related

The rest is there to search
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

The new erato

A Northern Flowers sale on mdt now. I've got tons of stuff I absolutely need, mainly the Miaskovsky and Taneyev quartets (since Naxos presumedly complete Taneyev seems to have dried up with vo l1, they will loose my business).

eyeresist

It looks like there is a new recording of Symphony No. 1 coming out next month on Northern Flowers. They have already released 1 and 2 (separate discs, each with extras), in reportedly good performances conducted by Titov, who also conducted the latest. I guess it would be stupid to hope that this will be part of a completed cycle....

(The picture links to Amazon, but the cover pic is from HMV.jp.)

cilgwyn

John Copeland

Quote from: Sef on July 05, 2010, 01:56:58 PM
I love youtube!
Symphony No. 3:
http://www.youtube.com/v/SVbl3jEYd-Y
or Symphony No. 1:
http://www.youtube.com/v/jpH8H-ZuI0g&feature=related
The rest is there to search

That Symphony One is bloody amazing...Olympia defunct?  Must find another means to get it...I really, really like what I've heard above.  Really. 

Dundonnell

Popov's 4th Symphony for soloists, chorus and orchestra "Honour to the Motherland" of 1947 still awaits its first commercial recording.

not edward

Quote from: eyeresist on September 23, 2011, 06:12:35 AM

Had a chance to hear this, and it's not competitive with the Olympia issue with Provatorov conducting. The orchestra feels as if it's struggling at times, and there simply isn't have anything like the intensity that Provatorov brings to the work--it's music written in blood and sweat, on a very well-judged knife-edge just short of falling into of total chaos, and I don't think the orchestra has the confidence (or, perhaps, sufficient rehearsal time) to bring this off here.

I hope someone will pick up the Olympia discs sooner rather than later--it's an extraordinary work that deserves wider currency.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

vandermolen

Quote from: edward on February 23, 2012, 11:38:09 AM
Had a chance to hear this, and it's not competitive with the Olympia issue with Provatorov conducting. The orchestra feels as if it's struggling at times, and there simply isn't have anything like the intensity that Provatorov brings to the work--it's music written in blood and sweat, on a very well-judged knife-edge just short of falling into of total chaos, and I don't think the orchestra has the confidence (or, perhaps, sufficient rehearsal time) to bring this off here.

I hope someone will pick up the Olympia discs sooner rather than later--it's an extraordinary work that deserves wider currency.

Thank you Edward for posting this. I'm sorry that the new version of symphony No 1 is not that good - but at least you have saved me some money! I agree that the Olympia CD with symphonies 1 and 2 on is sensational - one of their best releases I think.

cilgwyn

I must admit the reviews of those Northern Flowers cd's have put me off,although I suppose,dodgy playing didn't put me off buying the Marco Polo recordings of the lovely Tournemire symphonies! (Luckily,persistent searching & a spot of luck means that I eventually managed to collect all the superior Auvidis Valois performances! :))