The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Gavriil Popov 1904-1972

(1/20) > >>

vandermolen:
Now, here is an interesting composer if you like Russian/Soviet composers.  Popov sadly drank himself to death having suffered years of neglect and condemnation at the hands of the soviet authorities (his music was condemned along with the music of his friend Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Miaskovsky, Shebalin, Kabalevsky and Khachaturian in 1948). His First Symphony (Telarc) is the only score I know which can hold up its head alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony (Vainberg's 5th is another possible contender). Popov's symphonies were once available on the defunct Olympia label and now are only around at more or less ridiculous prices (there was a great CD with symphonies 1 and 2 on). However, the Russian Northern Flowers label has just issued Popov's epic wartime Symphony 2 'Motherland', which whilst being more conformist than the phatasmagoric First Symphony, is both powerful and moving. If you like Shostakovich's 7th or 8th symphonies or Khachaturian's Symphony No 2 'The Bell', this might be for you. It is coupled with some high quality film music and the agitprop 'Red Cavalry Campaign: Symphonic poster for large orchestra and male chorus' from 1941.

John Copeland:
Sounds bloody fabulous.  Where did you get it?

MN Dave:
Yes, and when are you going to upload it?  ;D

John Copeland:

--- Quote from: Beethovenian on January 18, 2010, 07:24:49 PM ---Yes, and when are you going to upload it?  ;D

--- End quote ---

Yes, well, that was what I was hinting at too, but was far too polite to suggest.   :P 

MN Dave:

--- Quote from: John on January 18, 2010, 07:27:22 PM ---Yes, well, that was what I was hinting at too, but was far too polite to suggest.   :P

--- End quote ---

Are you saying I'm not polite? How rude!  >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version