Author Topic: Gavriil Popov 1904-1972  (Read 21988 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century up to the 21st Century
Re: Gavriil Popov 1904-1972
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2021, 05:17:57 AM »
Certainly, at the moment, I play it more than Symphony No.1. Both symphonies are great IMO.

What do you think of Popov’s other symphonies? I own three Olympia recordings with various symphonies. I should revisit them.
“My music is best understood by children and animals.” - Igor Stravinsky

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2021, 06:21:19 AM »
What do you think of Popov’s other symphonies? I own three Olympia recordings with various symphonies. I should revisit them.
The other one that I really like John is the valedictory No.6 'Festive'. Like Nielsen's 6th Symphony 'Sinfonia Semplice' it tries to be 'upbeat' and 'jolly' but tragedy keeps breaking through - that's my take on it anyway (although maybe that's more of a comment on myself! ;D). Anyway, I find it oddly moving. It is clearly IMO influenced by Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov and is all the better for it.
You can buy it for £95 on Amazon UK  :o
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century up to the 21st Century
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2021, 06:34:08 AM »
The other one that I really like John is the valedictory No.6 'Festive'. Like Nielsen's 6th Symphony 'Sinfonia Semplice' it tries to be 'upbeat' and 'jolly' but tragedy keeps breaking through - that's my take on it anyway (although maybe that's more of a comment on myself! ;D). Anyway, I find it oddly moving. It is clearly IMO influenced by Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov and is all the better for it.
You can buy it for £95 on Amazon UK  :o

Very cool, Jeffrey. Interesting interpretation. I look forward to revisiting that symphony. Ouch...that’s a steep price, indeed. I’m glad I bought those recordings several years ago. ;)
“My music is best understood by children and animals.” - Igor Stravinsky

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2021, 03:12:44 PM »
I'm very interested in hearing No. 4 since it is expansive with choir and orchestra but it seems completely missing. 

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2021, 01:31:14 AM »
I'm very interested in hearing No. 4 since it is expansive with choir and orchestra but it seems completely missing.
Yes, I have 1,2, 3, 5 and 6 on Olympia or Northern Flowers CDs.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).