Gavriil Popov 1904-1972

Started by vandermolen, January 18, 2010, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 26, 2021, 05:57:05 AM
Certainly, at the moment, I play it more than Symphony No.1. Both symphonies are great IMO.

What do you think of Popov's other symphonies? I own three Olympia recordings with various symphonies. I should revisit them.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 26, 2021, 06:17:57 AM
What do you think of Popov's other symphonies? I own three Olympia recordings with various symphonies. I should revisit them.
The other one that I really like John is the valedictory No.6 'Festive'. Like Nielsen's 6th Symphony 'Sinfonia Semplice' it tries to be 'upbeat' and 'jolly' but tragedy keeps breaking through - that's my take on it anyway (although maybe that's more of a comment on myself! ;D). Anyway, I find it oddly moving. It is clearly IMO influenced by Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov and is all the better for it.
You can buy it for £95 on Amazon UK  :o
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 26, 2021, 07:21:19 AM
The other one that I really like John is the valedictory No.6 'Festive'. Like Nielsen's 6th Symphony 'Sinfonia Semplice' it tries to be 'upbeat' and 'jolly' but tragedy keeps breaking through - that's my take on it anyway (although maybe that's more of a comment on myself! ;D). Anyway, I find it oddly moving. It is clearly IMO influenced by Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov and is all the better for it.
You can buy it for £95 on Amazon UK  :o

Very cool, Jeffrey. Interesting interpretation. I look forward to revisiting that symphony. Ouch...that's a steep price, indeed. I'm glad I bought those recordings several years ago. ;)

relm1

I'm very interested in hearing No. 4 since it is expansive with choir and orchestra but it seems completely missing. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on June 26, 2021, 04:12:44 PM
I'm very interested in hearing No. 4 since it is expansive with choir and orchestra but it seems completely missing.
Yes, I have 1,2, 3, 5 and 6 on Olympia or Northern Flowers CDs.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dimitri.P

Dear Friends

great news!

we are releasing our new CD next week 27.11.21

with the World Premiere Recording of "Quartet-Symphony"

see trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaRzfcD-A8Y

thank you for having interest in this GREAT composer!

relm1

Quote from: Dimitri.P on November 16, 2021, 11:03:27 AM
Dear Friends

great news!

see trailer here:

Fantastic news to learn of new music by this wonderful composer!  Can't wait to hear it!  "heroic+lyrical" = a characteristic that embodies my favorite composers.

vandermolen

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dimitri.P on November 16, 2021, 11:03:27 AM
Dear Friends

great news!

see trailer here:

Me wants this!! For a little moment I had thought it was the Fourth Symphony (which is not recorded yet).

Thanks for sharing this good news!!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dimitri.P

Dear Friends

Our Album is finally out!

World Premiere Recording

Gavriil Popov - String Quartet in C Major, Op . 61 "Quartet-Symphony" 1951

The Official  trailer:
https://youtu.be/qaRzfcD-A8Y

Listen, Download & Get the CD👇

https://www.quartetberlintokyo.com/shop

help us by spreading the word :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dimitri.P on November 30, 2021, 07:48:18 AM
Dear Friends

Our Album is finally out!

World Premiere Recording

Gavriil Popov - String Quartet in C Major, Op . 61 "Quartet-Symphony" 1951

The Official  trailer:
https://youtu.be/qaRzfcD-A8Y

Listen, Download & Get the CD👇

https://www.quartetberlintokyo.com/shop

help us by spreading the word :)

Thanks for the reminder, Dimitri!! A work that can't go unnoticed to me. And it's a monumental quartet. Almost 1 hour long!!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Today I gave the Quartet-Symphony a listen and I must say it's a terrific piece and very well played here. It's somewhat dense in its musical discourse, but it's worth listening in the end of the day. More listens will be necessary to understand it better.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 02, 2021, 06:03:55 PM
Today I gave the Quartet-Symphony a listen and I must say it's a terrific piece and very well played here. It's somewhat dense in its musical discourse, but it's worth listening in the end of the day. More listens will be necessary to understand it better.
Good to know. Thanks Cesar.

vers la flamme

This composer is really damn good! Shame his music has been so little recorded. I just found the Olympia disc with symphonies 1 & 2 (I got a copy for 10 bucks, which I'm starting to realize I was really lucky to have found). Everything else is damn expensive so it looks like this will likely be the extent of my Popov collection, for now. But both of these symphonies are killer.

Shout out to Symphonic Addict and Kyjo for putting me onto this guy's stuff.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 04, 2022, 02:51:57 AM
This composer is really damn good! Shame his music has been so little recorded. I just found the Olympia disc with symphonies 1 & 2 (I got a copy for 10 bucks, which I'm starting to realize I was really lucky to have found). Everything else is damn expensive so it looks like this will likely be the extent of my Popov collection, for now. But both of these symphonies are killer.

That Olympia CD is the best. You were lucky to get it that cheaply. I also like the Olympia CD featuring the valedictory 6th Symphony. They're both absurdly priced at around £90-100 on Amazon UK.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on January 04, 2022, 03:28:16 AM
That Olympia CD is the best. You were lucky to get it that cheaply. I also like the Olympia CD featuring the valedictory 6th Symphony. They're both absurdly priced at around £90-100 on Amazon UK.

+ 2. Both are excellent productions. If you can't find no 6 (coupled w the Chamber Symphony) it can be listened to via Spotify.

vers la flamme

I see a copy of the 6th shipping included for 20 bucks so I might go for it. There's also some recordings on the Northern Flowers label (someone explain this label to me—I know they release a lot of old Soviet music; are these old reissued Soviet recordings like Olympia, or are they more recent?)

Listening to the 2nd again this evening. Really good stuff!

Symphonic Addict

He really was a Soviet giant among the composers. I haven't heard any piece that I don't like yet. A remarkable figure.

If you like this composer's music, you could enjoy Rodion Shchedrin too. He shares some ideas among these composers, including Shebalin, Myaskovsky, Chargeishvili, Mosolov, Nosyrev, Eshpai, etc.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

This composer is really damn good! Shame his music has been so little recorded. I just found the Olympia disc with symphonies 1 & 2 (I got a copy for 10 bucks, which I'm starting to realize I was really lucky to have found). Everything else is damn expensive so it looks like this will likely be the extent of my Popov collection, for now.

So much for that—I ordered the Northern Flowers releases with the 1st symphony, as well as the 5th and 6th symphonies on Olympia. Can't wait to hear all this, even if it does not live up to the greatness of the disc I already have.

Symphonic Addict

Chamber Symphony

A captivatingly absorbing piece bearing an unmistakable Russian spirit plenty of alluring gestures not devoid of certain depth.

The Symphony No. 4 hasn't received the first official recording yet. I hope it will see the light of day in the rather near future.

Noam Chomsky