Astonishing.............

Started by knight66, June 15, 2007, 01:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Anne

I saw this on a VHS tape or a DVD some time ago.  It is amazing.  I have several commercial video recordings of famous Russian singers.  Will see if I can find it. 

bhodges

That is truly amazing!  I just shared it with a friend who said she was in tears, listening to it.  Who is Mark Reizen?  I've never heard of him!

--Bruce

knight66

Bruce, He was a well known singer in the Soviet Union in the 40s through to the 60s. Clearly he had a long career. He got round that aria with great artistry. There does not seem to be many of his recordings in circulation. In his time he was a great Boris.

Mike

knight66

More info here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Reizen

They give proper dates and some sound samples.

Mike

Anne

The DVD is titled, Russian Opera At the Bolshoi, The Vintage Years.

It features Fyodor Shalyapin, Ivan Kozlovsky, Mark Reitzen, Sergei Lemeshev, Elena Obrastsova, Irina Arkhipova.

bhodges

Thanks, Mike and Anne...learn something new every day!  :D

--Bruce

knight66

Here is a good resource on Boris Christoff......lots of tracks at the bottom with MP3. Do try Rimsky's 'The Prophet', listen to how he builds it. I wish I knew how to download and save these to CD!

The Leporello from Don Giovanni is also terrific, what Don would dare share the stage with him.

Mike

bhodges

Quote from: knight on June 15, 2007, 02:07:38 PM
Here is a good resource on Boris Christoff......lots of tracks at the bottom with MP3. Do try Rimsky's 'The Prophet', listen to how he builds it. I wish I knew how to download and save these to CD!

The Leporello from Don Giovanni is also terrific, what Don would dare share the stage with him.

Mike

Is there a link?  I'll have to investigate it later...off to dinner!  Thanks again.

--Bruce

knight66

Bruce, Sorry, I left off the vital link.

http://www.tsanoff-classic.com/TheGreatestBulgarians/Boris.Christoff/

Yes scroll down and there are about 20 tracks to choose from. I have most of the performances there, but it is good to think they are freely available.

I hope you enjoy it. There is even an extract of the Italian Radio Parsifal. The Attila is another gem.

Mike

Sergeant Rock

I bought the Centurion Boris a few weeks ago, hoping it was the '49 performance with Mark Reizen, conducted by Golovanov. Centurion lists no cast, no date, nothing  >:(

Do any of our Boris experts know if this is the '49 or the '48 with Alexandre Pirogov (some consider him an even better Boris than Reizen).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Anne

I wish I could help you, Sarge but I have no idea.  What does it say on liner notes, etc.?

The photo of Boris DVD (red cover) that Uffe posted has Pirogov as Boris on the front cover.

Anne

I don't know if this is any help to you.  I have 2 recordings with identical casts, orchestra (Bolshoi) and Golovanov as conductor.  The only difference is the 1949 has Pirogov as Boris, and the 1948 has Reizen as Boris.

I have a VHS tape, The Great Singers of Russia, Volume 1, "From Chaliapin to Reizen"

The singers on this tape are:
F. Chaliapin
A. Pirogov
N. Obukhova
I. Koslovsky
S. Lemeshev
M. Mikhailov
N. Shpiller
P. Listitsian
G. Nelepp
M. Reizen

There is also The Great Singers of Russia, Volume 2, "From Petrov to Kazarnovskaya"
The singers on this tape are:
I. Petrov
Z. Andzhaparidze
I. Arkhipova
G. Vishnevskaya
Y. Mazurok
B. Rudenko
E. Nesterenko
E. Obraztsova
V. Alantov
M. Kasrashvili
O. Borodina
D. Hvorostovsky
L. Kazarnovskaya

Both of these VHS tapes are from
Video Artists International (VAI)
www.vaimusic.com

I do not know if these video tapes are available on DVD or not.

uffeviking

The ovation the gentleman received is what I call a genuine well-deserved standing ovation. I was afraid the ceiling would come crashing down!

I wonder if Placido Domingo would sing like this when he is ninety? I wouldn't put it past him!  :)

Tsaraslondon

Truly astonishing for a man of 90. Not only his voice, but his posture. Admittedly, there are one or two places, where one can detect him cunningly husbanding his resources, but even so, one would never immagine it to be the voice of a nonagerian.

Did anyone click on any of the other links. Just listened to Lemeshev and Kozlovsky singing Lensky's first aria from Eugene Onegin, both of them wonderfully stylish.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Anne on June 15, 2007, 03:35:15 PM
I wish I could help you, Sarge but I have no idea.  What does it say on liner notes, etc.?

Liner notes?  ;D There are no liner notes. There is a single sheet in each of the three jewel cases with the same picture as the one on the box. On the other side of the sheet there is track listing. The only information given is that it's the Bolshoi orchestra and Golovanov conducts. No date, no cast.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"