Favourite pianist who emerged in 1st decade of 21st Century

Started by Hobby, April 25, 2024, 05:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atriod

Quote from: Mandryka on April 26, 2024, 07:15:05 AMLink please.

https://octavia-shop.com/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000001599&search=ojiro&sort=

I haven't ripped the disc, I've been listening to it in my disc spinner. Let me see if I can find it to make it easier to hear.

Atriod

To catch up on some discussion that has taken place

Yeol Eum Son that has already been mentioned - one of the most impressive for sure. Berg Piano Sonata, Stravinsky Three Pieces from Petrushka on her Modern Times are among the best. I have even posted to GMG that I never listened to that Petrushka suite because I could just listen to the orchestral version that has far more color, texture, and isn't as continuously propulsive as the piano suite. But she changed my mind on it with her very well proportioned interpretation with no extremes. I thought maybe I had changed my mind on the piece but I went back to Khatia Buniatishvili and I could not make it through it. The other CD from her I find just as good is the Schumann album, surprising to me her and Marc-André Hamelin were two that did among the best in Schumann's Fantasie in C when I was doing it blind. I agree with Jed Distler that the Mozart Piano Sonatas I've heard are a bit generically interpreted.

Some more that have not been mentioned:

Kotaro Fukuma - incredible transparency ala Yeol Eum Son, but a certain something in his interpretations, maybe an extremely slight hardness in tone or phrasing not present with Yeol Eum Son. Chopin Ballades even in a crowded field are among the best I've heard. The Albeniz Iberia lets you very clearly hear the genius in Albeniz's piano writing (better than Marc-André Hamelin).

Alexander Romanovsky - some of the best Rachmaninoff Etudes-Tableaux I've ever heard. Worthy of the same breath as Richter, early Lugansky (not sleepy eyed Harmonia Mundi Rach), or Babayan. Really bloody good Schumann and Brahms variations as well.

These two might be 2010s but no bother.

There is one more pianist I am thinking of just on the tip of my tongue that I can't bring to the forefront!

Brian

Fukuma is a perfect fit with his debut recording in 2004 and his Iberia in 2007. I agree entirely about your description. Now I will probably have to stream his Iberia again this week. I own most of the other Hortus recordings: the Chopin, Debussy, and "Dumka" mixed Russian repertoire.

Atriod

Quote from: Atriod on May 05, 2024, 07:06:37 AMThere is one more pianist I am thinking of just on the tip of my tongue that I can't bring to the forefront!

It came to me, Denis Matsuev! Not always a fan of his solo recordings as he can be brash, I have greatly liked him in every concerto I've heard him in. Possibly (would require some real thought put into it) the best performances of Rach's two middle concerti for digital era recordings. Phenomenal Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, and Schehedrin as well. A pianist that seems to know what he is good at and mostly sticks with it.