Author Topic: Baroque and early music on piano excluding Bach  (Read 4870 times)

Offline SergeCpp

• Serge Smirnoff
    • YouTube
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach Keyboard Music
Re: Baroque and early music on piano excluding Bach
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2020, 10:35:13 PM »

Jean Philippe Rameau Complete Keyboard Works, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2
David Ezra Okonsar, Piano (2018)

I've listened to them partially and liked, so post here in thread. And I've seen David's performance of The Fitzwilliam Virginal Book mentioned on 1st page of this thread, I've listened to some parts of these and found them somewhat worth for further investigation. I come to David's YouTube channel (topic) because of his Bach performances, found them quite good and listeneable, so performed more detailed investigations of his albums. That was week or two prior to registration on this forum, it is a mystic coincidence (browser tab with David's channel was open all that time, week or two).
There is a strangeness in simple things.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2020, 06:38:56 PM »

Looks like an interesting release.
"Most importantly, the playing throughout is superb; the clarity of lines, pedalling and sheer musicality of Ms Ai are wonderful.  There is so much going on, it’s hard to believe there is only the one pianist here, which is something that I have also noticed in Stradal’s other transcriptions, I think it has to do with his using the whole of the keyboard rather than concentrating on the more central part." From Musicweb, Jonathan Welsh. Is this reviewer active on GMG? Just curious as the review goes into each piece in-depth.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:45:35 PM by milk »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2020, 12:34:55 AM »

Looks like an interesting release.
"Most importantly, the playing throughout is superb; the clarity of lines, pedalling and sheer musicality of Ms Ai are wonderful.  There is so much going on, it’s hard to believe there is only the one pianist here, which is something that I have also noticed in Stradal’s other transcriptions, I think it has to do with his using the whole of the keyboard rather than concentrating on the more central part." From Musicweb, Jonathan Welsh. Is this reviewer active on GMG? Just curious as the review goes into each piece in-depth.
I really haven’t heard an organ transcription that I’ve liked. This one, like many others, is so heavy and pianistic. I know it’s because the transcribers are all romantics.