Bach Six Partitas

Started by mc ukrneal, January 25, 2010, 05:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on September 01, 2020, 08:22:26 PM
What's so terribly wrong with Pascal Dubreuil?

And what's so terribly wrong with Leonhardt's first recording? Even more intense than Dubreuil and a different way of phrasing, less cantabile, which I prefer.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on September 01, 2020, 08:42:20 PM
And what's so terribly wrong with Leonhardt's first recording? Even more intense than Dubreuil and a different way of phrasing, less cantabile, which I prefer.

Did I ever talk bad about Leonhardt? I don't think it was me.

His DHM recordings are fascinating in general, he plays in a very strict manner, not unlike his contemporary "sewing machine Baroque" musicians. But then, he articulates and adds almost imperceptible agogics just enough to put this sewing machine in the uncanny valley. Very difficult recordings, but also very rewarding.

I'm more familiar with his later Virgin partitas, which are also great. His playing has freed up considerably by then.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on September 02, 2020, 12:10:01 AM

I'm more familiar with his later Virgin partitas, which are also great. His playing has freed up considerably by then.

I'm not sure what the difference between the two sets are in those terms, I find that the first has a sort of visionary passion which is special. But the second is also exceptional. And Dubreuil is also exceptional!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SergeCpp on May 07, 2020, 04:55:08 AM
Here I post my preferences in Partitas. These preferences are rather old (~2012-14) but I think they are worth to publish here. From that time I've discovered many of new interpretations (some of them are new only for me and recorded before that noted timemark). But they are not so carefully and inspectfully listened as those in this good old list. Later I'll try to post some of new findings (of them are real beauties as I seen at first quick and partial listening).

Lists are ordered (top is more suitable for me).

Harpsichord

Masaaki Suzuki (2001)
Edward Parmentier (1991)
Nicholas Parle (2002)
Trevor Pinnock (1998-99)
Scott Ross (1988)
Christophe Rousset (1992)
Kenneth Gilbert (1984-85)
Pascal Dubreuil (2007)

Piano

Gianluca Luisi (2005-07)
Andras Schiff (1983)
Craig Sheppard (2005)
Sergey Schepkin (1995)
Angela Hewitt (1996-97)
Wolfgang Rubsam (1992)
Ramin Bahrami (2005)
Andras Schiff (2007)
Vladimir Ashkenazy (2009)
Irma Issakadze (2010)
Zhu Xiao-Mei (1999)

//

I like the Schepkin disc too though I am not sure that's the way Bach is "supposed" to be played. Anyway, it's piano.
While I like both the two recordings of Pinnock, somehow I prefer the old recording and cover art.

vers la flamme

After doing a bit of A/B contrast stuff I think I've decided on Leonhardt/Virgin over Pinnock/Hänssler. Both sound great but Leonhardt is a bit more to my taste. I don't have any Bach Partitas on harpsichord.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Piotr Anderszweski's recordings are unique and interesting.

Jo498

I have not re-listened to the live c minor but when I listened to Anderszewski's disc with 1,3,6 I was rather disappointed, in any case I didn't like it very much and certainly far less than I had remembered. I can still agree with "unique and (at least intermittently) interesting". ;)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Jo498 on September 04, 2020, 09:53:42 AM
I have not re-listened to the live c minor but when I listened to Anderszewski's disc with 1,3,6 I was rather disappointed, in any case I didn't like it very much and certainly far less than I had remembered. I can still agree with "unique and (at least intermittently) interesting". ;)

It is a different approach and different atmosphere.
I don't know if it is a good, or successful, performance.
Anyway it's an interesting recording.

bioluminescentsquid

I'm trying to muster up all my love for this but I can't. Absolutely stunning instrument, the 1740 3-manual Hass harpsichord, but the playing is so extremely soulless and boring. I know Puyana is an "old master" (said ironically) but even his Pleyel monsterchord recordings are much better than this. So can someone tell me something to redeem this in my mind? I take no as an answer.

I guess this is a cautionary tale about harpsichord playing. There is no hiding, even (or especially) on a great old harpsichord like this one.

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on September 04, 2020, 09:53:42 AM

When I heard him in concert it was clear that this artist's core skill is in producing sounds from a modern piano. The colours and the contrast of registers, the weight of the sounds, especially the strong and sweet bass notes that he can coax out of a Steinway, are distinctive and impressive. His art is somehow about the physicality of piano sound.

All that is pretty well lost on that recording of Bach partitas, it may never have been there. So we're left with something unique and intermittently interesting, as you say.

He may be a one trick pony - the trick being The Diabelli Variations. The rest - Szymanowsky, Mozart, Bach and maybe stuff I'm forgetting  - are just at best unique and intermittently interesting.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on September 05, 2020, 12:14:10 AM
I'm trying to muster up all my love for this but I can't. Absolutely stunning instrument, the 1740 3-manual Hass harpsichord, but the playing is so extremely soulless and boring. I know Puyana is an "old master" (said ironically) but even his Pleyel monsterchord recordings are much better than this. So can someone tell me something to redeem this in my mind? I take no as an answer.

I guess this is a cautionary tale about harpsichord playing. There is no hiding, even (or especially) on a great old harpsichord like this one.

I'm afraid that, for all the preciousness about the product and the greatness (alleged or actual) of the instrument, this never quite did the trick for me, either...

Selig

Quote from: Mandryka on April 02, 2017, 01:35:16 AM
Do have a listen to Siegbert Rampe's partitas if you've got time, they're in spotify,  I love them.

This is why I keep skimming these threads for recommendations. What a gem! And he never recorded any other of Bach's solo keyboard works?!

milk

Listening today: Egarr: much drama and depth. Schepkin: another pianist who doesn't care about rubato.

bioluminescentsquid

Cross posted from new releases, I listened to the 2nd partita and the sarabande of the 6th. It's nice playing but a bit uniform - nothing really to write home about. Great sound from the German-style harpsichord.

premont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 28, 2021, 11:24:43 AM

Cross posted from new releases, I listened to the 2nd partita and the sarabande of the 6th. It's nice playing but a bit uniform - nothing really to write home about. Great sound from the German-style harpsichord.

Thanks for the comments. I think I shall pass it by, already owning many recordings of the partitas.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

I've said this before, but Tilney's account here is top of the heap. This dude is 87 year's old!

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on September 05, 2020, 12:14:10 AM

Well I'm listening to it for the first time today and obviously the colours of the harpsichord makes you prick up your ears. 

My reaction is not negative. He's certainly relying on more than the registers to make the music poetic. The phrasing, the silences, are all pretty effective.

It's also nice to have something which is totally disorienting, like the allemande of the 6th.

But most of all what I'm appreciating is a sense of the visionary. I mean, in Puyana's hands these partitas aren't suites of dance music, they're significant utterances. For this reason I see them as the same sort of thing as Leonhardt's first recording, and Verlet's second.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on March 01, 2021, 08:42:57 AM
I've said this before, but Tilney's account here is top of the heap. This dude is 87 year's old!

I'm finding it a bit too challenging.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on August 23, 2021, 01:31:09 PM
I have to listen again. It's definitely something different. Let us know if you listen more.

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on August 23, 2021, 01:31:09 PM

Interesting, if I recall you like Rubsam in the Partitas? I went back to listen to Partita 4 in his lute harpsichord recording and found him more difficult (maybe this is separate from challenging). Both Tilney and him are slow, but Rubsam comes off as being much slower since the lute harpsichord has virtually no decay leaving for more "blank space" that makes this sound avant-garde.