Bach Six Partitas

Started by mc ukrneal, January 25, 2010, 05:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: George on February 01, 2010, 06:29:16 AM
Wow, that Schepkin sounds good. However, I have his WTC book one but didn't enjoy it as much as a number of my other WTC recordings. maybe his style is better suited to the Partitas?

I have the opposite opinion, finding his WTC superior to his Partitas and Goldbergs.  Why?  Fewer bad habits such as in the "trill-happy" category.

George

Quote from: Bulldog on February 01, 2010, 08:19:49 AM
I have the opposite opinion, finding his WTC superior to his Partitas and Goldbergs.  Why?  Fewer bad habits such as in the "trill-happy" category.

Thanks. That's useful info, as my dislike of his WTC might mean that I will like his Partitas.

DarkAngel

Bulldog

Will I be equally pleased with Craig Sheppard's WTC I .........
(since I am thrilled with his partitas)

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on February 01, 2010, 11:05:27 AM
Bulldog

Will I be equally pleased with Craig Sheppard's WTC I .........
(since I am thrilled with his partitas)

Well, I do find Sheppard's Partitas better than his WTC which I feel has some mannerisms.  Also, in the Partitas, Sheppard always gives each voice equal weight, a trait I don't notice as much in his WTC.

Bulldog

Quote from: George on February 01, 2010, 08:56:58 AM
Thanks. That's useful info, as my dislike of his WTC might mean that I will like his Partitas.

Given that the two of us often have different tastes, you might have something there (or not).  You'll have to give the set a listen to find out.

SonicMan46

In the mail today - Bach Partitas w/ Sheppard - ordered from him directly - he signed and dated the back of the liner notes - a nice touch.

All that I expected - beautiful playing, nuances, balance, and sound recording - short applause at the end of each work, and virtually no audience noise during the performances - just listening to disc 1 at the moment.

Liner notes by Sheppard - a chuckle on pg. 4 - the publication dates are advanced a century - surprised that mistake was not picked up, but no big deal - this is a CONTENDER!  ;D

DarkAngel

Quote from: SonicMan on February 01, 2010, 02:20:37 PM
In the mail today - Bach Partitas w/ Sheppard - ordered from him directly - he signed and dated the back of the liner notes - a nice touch.

All that I expected - beautiful playing, nuances, balance, and sound recording - short applause at the end of each work, and virtually no audience noise during the performances - just listening to disc 1 at the moment.

I wonder if Bunny has the Sheppard set yet..........this has her name on it  ;)

Bunny

Quote from: DarkAngel on February 01, 2010, 03:10:24 PM
I wonder if Bunny has the Sheppard set yet..........this has her name on it  ;)

Not yet.  I'm enjoying Zhu Xiao-Mei's set right now.  That is a very satisfying set.  I've also found the Sheppard set very inexpensively, and expect it sometime this week.  :)

val

To me, the best version (on harpsichord) is the one of Leonhardt.

Since you prefer the piano, then my choice would be Perahia. But let's not forget Lipatti's version of the First Partita, perhaps his best recording.

premont

Quote from: val on February 03, 2010, 11:28:38 PM

Which one?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: val on February 03, 2010, 11:28:38 PM

Well, after acquiring Sheppard on the piano in these works; I do not have a harpsichord version - hmmm! 

So, what may be some of the top recommendations for the non-piano versions of the Partitas?  Thanks -  :)

DarkAngel

Quote from: SonicMan on February 04, 2010, 05:23:17 AM
Well, after acquiring Sheppard on the piano in these works; I do not have a harpsichord version - hmmm!
So, what may be some of the top recommendations for the non-piano versions of the Partitas?  Thanks -  :)

4CD Andreas Staier set my reference harpsicord partitas. Right behind are strong  Rousset and newest Pinnock versions

SonicMan46

OOPS - I was wrong!  :-[  I do have that Rousset box, but just forgot what was included - will play later today!

Thanks DA for the recommendations and the reminder - still 'all ears' - a second set would be fine w/ me -  :)

Bulldog

The most rewarding Partitas on harpsichord I've heard comes from Karl Richter on a Teldec set also having the Goldbergs (rec. 1958, partitas in 1960).

Clever Hans

What kind of harpischord does Richter use?

Didn't a couple of you guys say that Staier was more of a classicist? His Schubert lieder with Prégardien and Beethoven cds with Sepec et al. are fantastic. 
I also saw him play Haydn in Carnegie hall recently and he was excellent.

I would still like to hear more commentary on his partitas (aside from the Gramophone review), and of course he has his goldbergs coming out soon. 

The Leonhardt DHM partitas are out of print. I've been trying to get hold of them for a while. I understand it has more of the repeats. The virgin issue is great but has no repeats, except maybe in a sarabande or two, I think.

Bulldog

Quote from: Clever Hans on February 04, 2010, 08:15:05 AM
What kind of harpischord does Richter use?

The booklet has no information on it.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Bulldog on February 04, 2010, 07:44:56 AM
The most rewarding Partitas on harpsichord I've heard comes from Karl Richter on a Teldec set also having the Goldbergs (rec. 1958, partitas in 1960).

That is very nice work by Richter................
too bad I can't find any decent price for the 2CD Teldec set with Goldberg  :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBkwB98_dmk&feature=related

Bulldog

I noticed that the Richter set costs almost $100 used on Amazon.  Although great music-making, such a high price should be met with "no way".

George

Quote from: Bulldog on February 04, 2010, 09:34:09 AM
I noticed that the Richter set costs almost $100 used on Amazon.  Although great music-making, such a high price should be met with "no way".

Better yet, met with another way.  0:)

MN Dave

Quote from: Bulldog on February 04, 2010, 09:34:09 AM

Makes cents.  ;D