Bach Six Partitas

Started by mc ukrneal, January 25, 2010, 05:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Quote from: DarkAngel on January 25, 2010, 07:05:27 AM
The new Schiff/ECM seems more to my liking as a reference piano version, live version that has a rythmic clarity and spontaneous feel that is quite refreshing, Schiff sounding better than ever in Bach and one of the very best piano versions available for me

See some recommendations for the older Schiff/Decca paritas.......if you have not investigated his new live ECM series it may be well worth your time. The new Schiff performances are more vibrant and fresh sounding, flexible flowing rythms, an improvement from my perspective unless you like a more precise analytic style

George

Gould is the only complete set I own. That is because I am very happy with it.

I also have the Tureck (on GPOTC) and the Renard (VAI).

Bunny

Quote from: Clever Hans on January 25, 2010, 09:49:59 PM
Did you call them? The Zhu Xiao-Mei webpage is still up, says backordered but usually ships in 2-3 weeks, whatever that means.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?site_id=CTRV&album_id=44084

Maybe that's why she moved from Mandala to Mirare, although the latter seem to have acquired the rights to their own issue of her goldberg variations, and harmonia mundi distributed the partitas for Mandala. 

In any case, it's absurd that her cd is out of print and not even available as an mp3 download, whereas countless inferior versions are readily available.

I did contact Arkiv, and the recording is oop and they don't have the license for any Mandala recordings.  I guess that's one that got away. Btw, Harmonia Mundi doesn't list any Zhu Xiao-Mei recordings, but the Mirare Goldbergs are the ones recorded for Mandala so perhaps they will one day reissue the Partitas as well.

Clever Hans

Quote from: premont on January 26, 2010, 04:59:49 AM
Yes, he is outstanding, right on the top together with Leonhardt, Gilbert and Suzuki.

Hmm, is Amazon.de the only source for this recording?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on January 25, 2010, 07:29:58 PM
Dave:
I have a few reviews of Partita recordings on the Bach Cantatas website; Schepkin is included in a six-part review.  Although a fine set, I'm not totally sold on the Schepkin, especially when he gets a little trill-happy (annoying).

Thanks Don for the above reference; including your excellent reviews, there are even others - I would recommend those reading this thread and trying to make a decision on one or more sets of these works to take a look at the site above - I've often gone there for discussion of the Bach Cantatas, but there is plenty more.

In addition, I've read a number of other outstanding reviews on Sheppard's Partita recordings, and have decided to obtain this set - now, still may get others?  :D

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on January 26, 2010, 03:17:09 PM
Thanks Don for the above reference; including your excellent reviews, there are even others - I would recommend those reading this thread and trying to make a decision on one or more sets of these works to take a look at the site above - I've often gone there for discussion of the Bach Cantatas, but there is plenty more.

Yes, a ton of reviews of Bach's harpsichord and organ works.  Under most of these reviews are comments from other folks; a reader can get much insight from all that is offered.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Bulldog on January 25, 2010, 06:05:49 AM
Both Schiff and Perahia do well in the Partitas but are easily surpassed by Craig Sheppard on Romeo Records.  Sheppard reminds me of Gould, but with much better sound and an absence of eccentricity and strong humming.

The wheel is turning.........

My 2CD Sheppard partitas arrived and found them very impressive, just the way I like them. These are lively highly  animated versions that dance as they should not the stiff academic versions so often heard or the gentle pecking of Hewitt's rosette rated version, would rank this set right up at the very top of piano versions I have heard, very happy with piano versions:
-Sheppard
-Gould
-Schiff (ECM)
Wish Sheppard had nicer graphics for CD artwork, regardless I have also placed an order for his WTC I.

Next up for listening is the Schepkin partitas set......I am hoping for similar results  :)

premont

Quote from: Clever Hans on January 26, 2010, 03:03:32 PM

You can surely acquire them from the producer, but I do not know if this will be cheaper.

Link:
http://www.steeplechase.dk/kontrapunkt/index.html

Choose KontrapunktCatalog and schroll down to Bach
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Clever Hans on January 26, 2010, 03:03:32 PM

And maybe here, a little cheaper

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//32133-34.htm
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bunny

The Shepard Partitas are available from Amazon (US) both as a cd and as a download.  No need to order them from Germany with the killer delivery charges (€ 12.99 - or something ridiculous like that).  You can find them at Amazon here and here

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bunny on January 31, 2010, 07:50:40 AM
The Shepard Partitas are available from Amazon (US) both as a cd and as a download.  No need to order them from Germany with the killer delivery charges (€ 12.99 - or something ridiculous like that).  You can find them at Amazon here and here

This set can also be ordered from Sheppard's Website HERE for $15 plus S/H which I did not too long ago - order is 'in the mail' - shipping a little steep @ $5, but about the same as the price on Amazon - looking forward to their arrival!  :D

Clever Hans

Quote from: premont on January 31, 2010, 05:26:07 AM
And maybe here, a little cheaper

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//32133-34.htm

Great, I will make this my next purchase. Thank you.

Bunny

Quote from: Clever Hans on January 31, 2010, 08:01:27 AM
Great, I will make this my next purchase. Thank you.

Try Barnes & Nobel for the best price (around &13.00 if you are a member.)

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on January 26, 2010, 05:44:24 AM
See some recommendations for the older Schiff/Decca paritas.......if you have not investigated his new live ECM series it may be well worth your time. The new Schiff performances are more vibrant and fresh sounding, flexible flowing rythms, an improvement from my perspective unless you like a more precise analytic style

I haven't reached a conclusion about Schiff's ECM Partitas, but my first impressions are not favorable.  Overall, I'm not a big fan of The Schiff/Decca Bach recordings except for his WTC.  Then, he comes up with a vital and assertive reading of the Goldbergs on ECM.  Based on that recording, I had high hopes for his new Partitas.  However, at the moment I feel he falls back on the type of interpretations prevalent on his Decca discs.  Well, it's just preliminary with only two hearings so far.

Clever Hans

Quote from: Bunny on January 31, 2010, 08:32:16 AM
Try Barnes & Nobel for the best price (around &13.00 if you are a member.)

All I see there is the Italian Concerto and French Ouverture disc.

Bunny

Quote from: Clever Hans on January 31, 2010, 10:28:08 AM
All I see there is the Italian Concerto and French Ouverture disc.

Put Craig Sheppard into the search box (music or all departments) and you will find a list of his recordings.

Here's the link to the partitas:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/JS-Bach-The-Six-Keyboard-Partitas/Craig-Sheppard/e/675754901424/?itm=1&USRI=craig+sheppard

Clever Hans

Quote from: Bunny on January 31, 2010, 11:01:22 AM
Put Craig Sheppard into the search box (music or all departments) and you will find a list of his recordings.

Here's the link to the partitas:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/JS-Bach-The-Six-Keyboard-Partitas/Craig-Sheppard/e/675754901424/?itm=1&USRI=craig+sheppard

Ha, two conversations in parallel. I was talking about Mortensen, not Sheppard, sorry.

Holden

Quote from: DarkAngel on January 31, 2010, 05:04:28 AM
The wheel is turning.........

My 2CD Sheppard partitas arrived and found them very impressive, just the way I like them. These are lively highly  animated versions that dance as they should not the stiff academic versions so often heard or the gentle pecking of Hewitt's rosette rated version, would rank this set right up at the very top of piano versions I have heard, very happy with piano versions:
-Sheppard
-Gould
-Schiff (ECM)
Wish Sheppard had nicer graphics for CD artwork, regardless I have also placed an order for his WTC I.

Next up for listening is the Schepkin partitas set......I am hoping for similar results  :)

I've sampled the Sheppard to get an idea of style and if you liked him, which I did, you could quite possibly be blown away by the Schepkin. I used the 2nd Partita as my main source. What Schepkin achieves, like Gould, is an amazing clarity. Unlike Gould, Schepkin lets rip where the music calls for it and the dance like elements really shine.

I'd be interested in your opinion. Once I'd heard the Schepkin it was hard to return to Gould.
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on January 31, 2010, 10:49:45 PM
I've sampled the Sheppard to get an idea of style and if you liked him, which I did, you could quite possibly be blown away by the Schepkin. I used the 2nd Partita as my main source. What Schepkin achieves, like Gould, is an amazing clarity. Unlike Gould, Schepkin lets rip where the music calls for it and the dance like elements really shine.

I'd be interested in your opinion. Once I'd heard the Schepkin it was hard to return to Gould.

Wow, that Schepkin sounds good. However, I have his WTC book one but didn't enjoy it as much as a number of my other WTC recordings. maybe his style is better suited to the Partitas? 

DarkAngel

Quote from: Holden on January 31, 2010, 10:49:45 PM

I was able to listen to Schepkin's Partitas which are indeed very good, but overall I give slight edge to Sheppard set, mainly in the slow and mid-tempo movements he is more interesting and colorful, always kept my interest level high, both excell at faster sections.

Also I feel Schepkin 2nd CD with partitas 5,6 and misc works fared better than 1st CD with partitas 1,2,3,4.
Seems strange that there would be any difference, but found them more impressive. I will of course be keeping the Schepkin partitas in my collection, but those Sheppard partitas mentioned by Bulldog are outstanding for me ranking right at the very top of piano versions.  :)