The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 24, 2024, 05:49:14 AMEnjoying Mikkelsen's Grigny mass this afternoon - partly because of the singing, which I remember not liking when it was released, but which now seems to work very nicely. I think I prefer Mikkelsen to Coudurier on the same organ - Coudurier grand and noble but somehow Mikkelsen seems to capture a bit of introspection, prayerfulness.

Mikkelsen recorded Grigny (for CDklassisk) on the Isnard organ, Saint Maximin, Provence. Coudurier recorded Grigny (for BNL) on the historic organ of Cintegabelle. So not the same organ.

But Pierre Bardon has recorded the Grigny Messe and Hymns (for Pierre Verany) on the Isnard organ and Isoir has recorded the Hymns on the Isnard organ (for Calliope). Coudurier has recorded some Marchand and Bach on the Isnard organ (for BNL).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Roasted Swan

I picked this disc up as part of the Chandos Winter sale;

I'm a sucker for this kind of large-scale spectacular organ music.  Especially when presented on the mighty Willis organ in Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral.  Yes of course the huge acoustic there blurs some orchestral detail and gives the Chandos engineers and producer a bit of a nightmre to create a coherent and well-balanced disc.  But the result is about as good as it could be - finding a good compromise between the space/instrument involved and the needs of domestic listening.  Of course Ian Tracey's playing is superb and the BBC PO are reliably skilled accompanists.  Great fun.

Mandryka

Predictably tough performances from Mr Bennett but the programme is interesting and the organ at Sassenheim is fabulous - just not ideally recorded. So tough a performance, and so unsympathetically recorded, that I gave up after about 20 minutes.

https://editionsgrandier.bandcamp.com/album/mannerism-organ-music-from-1550-1650

Peter van Dijk recorded some of his NM Sweelinck at Sassenheim.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on February 23, 2024, 08:15:47 AM

Predictably tough performances from Mr Bennett but the programme is interesting and the organ at Sassenheim is fabulous - just not ideally recorded. So tough a performance, and so unsympathetically recorded, that I gave up after about 20 minutes.

https://editionsgrandier.bandcamp.com/album/mannerism-organ-music-from-1550-1650

Peter van Dijk recorded some of his NM Sweelinck at Sassenheim.
What do you mean by "tough?"

Mandryka

Cato

Since this topic is alive right now: I offered this yesterday.

Julius Reubke's Sonata on Psalm 94.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 23, 2024, 08:15:47 AM

Yes, almost unlistenable sound and a stubborn aggressive approach from Bennett in most of the pieces. Certainly a missed opportunity.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

I just Mary Jane Newman's Pachelbel Fugues on Spotify. The organ sounds modern. The playing sounds lively and the singing sounds excellent.