Chopin Nocturnes

Started by Scarpia, January 28, 2010, 08:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Well, I found a $5 copy of the Rev, don't know which release... her's is the only one I couldn't find on YT, and yet so many prefer - what I understand- is her Reserve. I'm trying to avoid masculine fortes, and judging by everyone's critiques, Rev is the most understated of the FrontRank. I think Gramophone criticized her for this, but agreed that others may feel differently.

I'll say goodnight to Chopin until the Rev comes 0:)

LX521.4

Love this thread, and got to explore so many interpretations of Op.9 No. 2, that I made a public Spotify playlist with most of the interpretations on this thread for easy listening.

Enjoy!

:-) neil

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7uyjdD3JbdqdWVYPf6gk6B

SonicMan46

Quote from: LX521.4 on March 19, 2021, 08:09:59 PM
Love this thread, and got to explore so many interpretations of Op.9 No. 2, that I made a public Spotify playlist with most of the interpretations on this thread for easy listening.

Enjoy!   :-) neil    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7uyjdD3JbdqdWVYPf6gk6B

The Nocturnes are probably my favorite Chopin piano works and I've been buying and culling for decades; not sure how many sets I've owned over those years but now down to the five shown below - the oldest in my collection is Ivan Moravec (and still a favorite); the most recent is Claire Huangci, who has become another fav - Chopin wrote these nocturnes between 1827-1846 (Source) when the piano was still undergoing changes (introduction of better strings, cast iron frames, key actions, pedals, etc. - Link); SO, I still enjoy the Michele Boegner performance on an 1836 Pleyel piano (although there are issues as described in a post of mine a few pages back in this thread).

Now is the chance for Chopin Nocturne fans to post of some of their 'current favorite recordings' for these works - I would love to hear a recording done on a reproduction piano from that era which likely would have better acoustics than that of Boegner, but I'm not aware of any newer ones?  Could be wrong, of course.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, in my post above, I was asking about 'period instrument' Chopin performances and completely forgot to mention the 21-CD box called the Real Chopin - I tried to buy this package about 8 years ago from the Amazon MP but the dealer mis-represented the price which was about $36 USD - never came and my money was refunded.  But PrestoClassical appears to be offering the box and also a lot of single CDs; unfortunately, the Nocturnes seem to be split-up amongst three or so CDs mixed w/ other works - not ideal.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Another website HERE in Poland - the box is 100 Euros (or about $120 USD, plus shipping!).

Mandryka

Ewa Pobłocka recorded them for some incarnation of The Real Chopin, honestly the pianos those guys use are so smoothed out by their restoration policy I don't know that you really hear much fresh and new compared with Rubinstein or whatever. Are you able to sample Luc Devos's two CDs?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Jo498

Bart van Oort did the Nocturnes for Brilliant classics. So cheap, if still findable. Unfortunately? there was a first volume first, mixed with Field, and I think the second volume was also mixed with contemporaries and I don't know if there ever was a double with only the Chopin pieces. (I have that first mixed volume but cannot be more specific than that I apparently found it nice enough to keep...)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

staxomega

Enjoy!

Welcome to GMG. I met Siegfried Linkwitz and his wife at a show in DC years ago, they were lovely people :)

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on March 21, 2021, 01:24:58 PM
Ewa Pobłocka recorded them for some incarnation of The Real Chopin, honestly the pianos those guys use are so smoothed out by their restoration policy I don't know that you really hear much fresh and new compared with Rubinstein or whatever. Are you able to sample Luc Devos's two CDs?

The Erards on those "The Real Chopin" series don't sound too dissimilar to other Erards I've heard on different labels. "The Real Chopin" do often have some additional ambience ranging from subtle to completely over the top that might make it hard to get a true feel for what the real life sound was like.

On the topic of this thread my favorites for the Nocturnes in no particular order are Claudio Arrau, Andrzej Wasowski, Pascal Amoyel, Ivan Moravec and Fou Ts'ong.

Daverz

Enjoy!

Looks like you're a big Chopin and  Linkwitz speaker fan.  Welcome to the forum.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on March 21, 2021, 01:24:58 PM

Hi Mandryka - as mentioned before, I wish there were a 'new' recording using a reproduction period piano of the time rather than 'restored oldies' - thanks for mentioning Luc Devos - a disc is available on Amazon and both on PrestoClassical - also both can be previewed on Spotify which I'll do - however, the attached reviewed was rather negative relative to the period piano used although I suspect the reviewer is not a fan of this approach - will decide myself.  Thanks again.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 21, 2021, 07:48:18 PM
Hi Mandryka - as mentioned before, I wish there were a 'new' recording using a reproduction period piano of the time rather than 'restored oldies' - thanks for mentioning Luc Devos - a disc is available on Amazon and both on PrestoClassical - also both can be previewed on Spotify which I'll do - however, the attached reviewed was rather negative relative to the period piano used although I suspect the reviewer is not a fan of this approach - will decide myself.  Thanks again.  Dave :)

Totally worthless review by Howard Kornblum.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on March 21, 2021, 02:01:48 PM
Bart van Oort did the Nocturnes for Brilliant classics. So cheap, if still findable. Unfortunately? there was a first volume first, mixed with Field, and I think the second volume was also mixed with contemporaries and I don't know if there ever was a double with only the Chopin pieces. (I have that first mixed volume but cannot be more specific than that I apparently found it nice enough to keep...)

You probably mean this 4-disc box:

The Art of the Nocturne in the Nineteenth Century

CD I: John Field: Nocturnes
Previously released as Columns Classics 0189 (Recording 1995)

CD II: Frédéric Chopin Nocturnes I
Previously released as Columns Classics 99155 (Recording 1998)

CD III: Frédéric Chopin Nocturnes II
(Recording 2003)

CD IV: 19th century Nocturnes
(Recording 2003)
Brilliant Classics 92202/1-2-3-4, December 2003.

Complete set re-released (2): Brilliant Classics 94048, 2010. 'Chopin. His Contemporaries and his instruments'. (6 cd box with 2 cds of contributions of various other pianists).

This Set features the complete Nocturnes by Chopin on two magnificent French pianos from Chopin's time and puts them in context with the nocturnes of Chopin's forerunner and example John Field - on a beautiful 1823 Broadwood) and by Chopin's contemporaries Pleyel, Kalkbrenner, Clara Schumann, Lefèbure-Wély, E. Weber, Alkan, Glinka, Szymanowska, Dobrzynski.

MusicWeb review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2004/Mar04/nocturne.htm
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Jo498

Yes and there was also an earlier double with CDs I and II by Brilliant with the same cover. Which is what I have. So I was wrong/inexact insofar that there was not really a separate second volume but the second edition was a 4 disc set. According to my set the Field is played on the Broadwood, the Chopin on an 1842 Pleyel instrument. Very probably the larger sets are worthwhile for anyone interested in period instruments.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on March 22, 2021, 03:57:01 AM
Totally worthless review by Howard Kornblum.
Well, I agree completely - my feeling was that he was going to hate the recording even before a listen.  This morning on Spotify, I was sampling Luc Devos' first Nocturnes disc (below far left) and one on Rewind (third one) which is the same recording; the second Devos recording (2nd image below) was not on Spotify - BUT, I found the 4-disc van Oort set and must say that I enjoyed all.  Unfortunately, all of these offerings are difficult to find on CD, OOP, overpriced, or just not available - NOW, I've not done a thorough search so these may be hiding in the 'nooks & crannies' of the web and at reasonable prices - any suggestions appreciated.  BTW, for those who do like reviews, attached are 3 discussing the van Oort 4-disc box (2 excellent and 1 somewhat dismissive).

P.S. I'm currently listening to the Nocturnes w/ Michele Boegner on a Pleyel Piano, 1836 - have this recording as a MP3 DL but not as bad as my previous comments a few pages back - maybe I should just be happy w/ her rendition?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 21, 2021, 10:13:58 AM
The Nocturnes are probably my favorite Chopin piano works and I've been buying and culling for decades; not sure how many sets I've owned over those years but now down to the five shown below - the oldest in my collection is Ivan Moravec (and still a favorite); the most recent is Claire Huangci, who has become another fav - Chopin wrote these nocturnes between 1827-1846 (Source) when the piano was still undergoing changes (introduction of better strings, cast iron frames, key actions, pedals, etc. - Link); SO, I still enjoy the Michele Boegner performance on an 1836 Pleyel piano (although there are issues as described in a post of mine a few pages back in this thread).

Now is the chance for Chopin Nocturne fans to post of some of their 'current favorite recordings' for these works - I would love to hear a recording done on a reproduction piano from that era which likely would have better acoustics than that of Boegner, but I'm not aware of any newer ones?  Could be wrong, of course.  Dave :)

Love that Moravec CD!  Will have to give a think about other favorite Chopin Nocturnes.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xx5VDoyRsM

Really enjoying Samson Francois's Nocturnes tonight. A kind soul ripped the whole set to youtube (link above.) I have the big Samson Integrale set on EMI.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Florestan

Recently I enjoyed this very much

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

staxomega

Quote from: Florestan on July 29, 2022, 12:46:52 AM

Cheers Florestan, I'm going to revisit this with my Saturday night listening after being able to read Jed Distler's review. He says some very interesting things about it.

"Hough consistently conveys a perfect balance of intelligence and instinct, as well as imagination without contrivance"

Intriguing!

Florestan

Quote from: hvbias on July 29, 2022, 09:07:28 AM
Cheers Florestan, I'm going to revisit this with my Saturday night listening after being able to read Jed Distler's review. He says some very interesting things about it.

"Hough consistently conveys a perfect balance of intelligence and instinct, as well as imagination without contrivance"

Intriguing!

I would review it in only two words: sunny nocturnes --- if it makes any sense.  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on July 29, 2022, 12:46:52 AM

Quote from: hvbias on July 29, 2022, 09:07:28 AM

"Hough consistently conveys a perfect balance of intelligence and instinct, as well as imagination without contrivance"  Intriguing!

Last year in one of the threads, I was considering a purchase of the Alain Planès recording on a Pleyel 1836 piano - re-listened on Spotify this morning and enjoyed - the piano sound is excellent, however, the reviews were mixed w/ several British mags giving only 3*/5* ratings (attached for those interested) - now the Stephen Hough recording piques my interest, of course on modern piano - the reviews (also included) have been uniformly excellent; already own a couple of MI versions (including Moravec, a fav for decades) but would like to hear Hough, unfortunately not available (a Hyperion thing w/ Spotify, I believe) - Dave :)