Nørgård's Niche

Started by Kullervo, June 15, 2007, 06:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Thank you, didn't know about this release.

I see that the early quintet is op.1; I really like some early Nørgård, such as the 'Solo Intimo' for cello op.8 and the 'Clarinet Trio' op.15, an earlier LP on the Paula label containing especially fine renditions of those works (never on CD, apparently).

The 1st Symphony 'Austera', also fine, has opus no.13.

not edward

It's extraordinary how quickly Nørgård was growing at this point.

The first symphony was begun less than 12 months after the quintet was completed, and the level of inspiration and structural rigour is night and day: Holmboe was clearly an exceptional asset in his development.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

CRCulver

Yeah, the big draw of this release is Cantica, because we now have digital recordings of all of the pieces that Nørgård wrote in the late 1970s using the Året melody. The Opus 1 also fills in a gap in the discography. But I don't see the point of another release of The Secret Melody, especially considering that there are so many works in his catalogue that have not been recorded at all yet.

not edward

Quote from: CRCulver on May 21, 2021, 06:24:54 PM
Yeah, the big draw of this release is Cantica, because we now have digital recordings of all of the pieces that Nørgård wrote in the late 1970s using the Året melody.
Is there a recording of the instrumental version of Now all the Earth is white as snow? I only have one that is performed concurrently with some of the choral Året works.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

CRCulver

Finally managed to listen to Cantica, which got its premiere recording on the Dacapo disc earlier this year. I was struck by the sudden emotional turns in the first movement, which look ahead to the Wölfli period. I had heard it said that the piece Seadrift, written before Nørgård's first encounter with Wölfli's art, showed that the composer was already feeling the need to explore conflict and polarities. This piece, too, suggests some creative turmoil was already going on in 1977.

MusicTurner

Nørgård turns 90 today. Obviously it's being marked and celebrated here, including Dacapo releasing the 8 symphonies as a box set.

The free Danish web newsletter 'Seismograf' has two features about him; no interviews, I'm not aware of any on the occasion anywhere, but it's being mentioned that he's actually been participating in a current recording project for about a year, in 'The Village Studio' in the Vanløse suburb, where he improvises on the piano, accompanied by the cellist Jacob Kullberg and jazz percussion.

MusicTurner

Quote from: CRCulver on November 17, 2021, 07:32:53 PM
Finally managed to listen to Cantica, which got its premiere recording on the Dacapo disc earlier this year. I was struck by the sudden emotional turns in the first movement, which look ahead to the Wölfli period. I had heard it said that the piece Seadrift, written before Nørgård's first encounter with Wölfli's art, showed that the composer was already feeling the need to explore conflict and polarities. This piece, too, suggests some creative turmoil was already going on in 1977.

A Seismograf article today by Jørgen I. Jensen, Tidens Lys, mentions how Nørgård suffered from an existential panic attack in December 1972.

not edward

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 13, 2022, 01:03:55 AM
Nørgård turns 90 today. Obviously it's being marked and celebrated here, including Dacapo releasing the 8 symphonies as a box set.

The free Danish web newsletter 'Seismograf' has two features about him; no interviews, I'm not aware of any on the occasion anywhere, but it's being mentioned that he's actually been participating in a current recording project for about a year, in 'The Village Studio' in the Vanløse suburb, where he improvises on the piano, accompanied by the cellist Jacob Kullberg and jazz percussion.
So happy to hear that he's still active musically, particularly given that no new notated music has come in quite a while. Hope he has many more years of musicmaking left.

Without doubt my favourite living composer: such a huge technical and expressive range, yet it (at least from about 1959 on) all sounds unquestionably Nørgård.

And honestly, even the earlier works are strong: I sometimes joke that the 1st symphony is my favourite Holmboe symphony.  :)

Mirror Image

I like the symphonies and SQs from Nørgård, but little else has grabbed me. I think I recall his VCs being quite good. What other works would you guys recommend?

not edward

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 13, 2022, 08:15:37 AM
I like the symphonies and SQs from Nørgård, but little else has grabbed me. I think I recall his VCs being quite good. What other works would you guys recommend?
Off the top of my head:
- the piano concerto (on the Segerstam recording of the 3rd symphony)
- Kanon for organ (almost the ultimate infinity series wallow)
- the protospectralist '60s chamber orchestra works Iris, Luna and Voyage into the Golden Screen
- Some of the more substantial choral works, perhaps Drømmesange, Frostsalme, Wie ein Kind and Mytisk morgen with its delicious bass clarinet part (I'm a big admirer of Den foruroligende ælling but it's almost impossible to find a recording of it these days).

CRCulver

If one is a fan of the Second and Third Symphonies, the operas Gilgamesh and Siddharta, respectively, are the natural companions to them.

Quote from: not edward on July 13, 2022, 09:02:44 AM
I'm a big admirer of Den foruroligende ælling but it's almost impossible to find a recording of it these days.

Used copies of the 1993 recording are available on the market.

MusicTurner

Off the top of my head:
(...)

I totally agree about the 'Piano Concerto', but MI has already expressed here that he definitely doesn't like it.

- 'Terrains Vagues' for orchestra;

- 'Percussion Concerto, For A Change' (Mortensen recording);

- works for string orchestra, largely in a more romantically coloured style (Kangas recording)

- Clarinet Trio op.15

- Solo cello works

Mirror Image

Quote from: CRCulver on July 13, 2022, 09:27:13 AM
If one is a fan of the Second and Third Symphonies, the operas Gilgamesh and Siddharta, respectively, are the natural companions to them.

Used copies of the 1993 recording are available on the market.
Off the top of my head:
- Kanon for organ (almost the ultimate infinity series wallow)
- the protospectralist '60s chamber orchestra works Iris, Luna and Voyage into the Golden Screen
- Some of the more substantial choral works, perhaps Drømmesange, Frostsalme, Wie ein Kind and Mytisk morgen with its delicious bass clarinet part (I'm a big admirer of Den foruroligende ælling but it's almost impossible to find a recording of it these days).
Quote from: MusicTurner on July 13, 2022, 09:55:06 AM
I totally agree about the 'Piano Concerto', but MI has already expressed here that he definitely doesn't like it.

- 'Terrains Vagues' for orchestra;

- 'Percussion Concerto, For A Change' (Mortensen recording);

- works for string orchestra, largely in a more romantically coloured style (Kangas recording)

- Clarinet Trio op.15

- Solo cello works

Thanks, guys! You've given me much to mull over.

Madiel

Have you ever heard the trio Spell?

It was actually my gateway drug. Thanks to this particular recording.

Yes of course I got it for the Holmboe... anyway, Spell is from between the 2nd and 3rd symphonies so it has that infinity series vibe. And it entranced me in ways that 'minimalists' like Glass never did.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Yes, and Spell has been recorded both as a clarinet trio and an ordinary piano trio, the clarinet version probably more well-known.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on July 14, 2022, 04:54:13 AM

Yes of course I got it for the Holmboe... anyway, Spell is from between the 2nd and 3rd symphonies so it has that infinity series vibe. And it entranced me in ways that 'minimalists' like Glass never did.

I'll check it out, Madiel. Thanks!

Madiel

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 14, 2022, 05:32:00 AM
Yes, and Spell has been recorded both as a clarinet trio and an ordinary piano trio, the clarinet version probably more well-known.

Yes, from memory the clarinet form is actually the original. Though Nørgård himself seems extremely comfortable with rearranging works (often renaming them in the process!)
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

krummholz

Quote from: Madiel on July 14, 2022, 04:54:13 AM

I've had this disc (like you I got it for the Holmboe) but had never listened to the Norgard until now. "Spell"binding indeed... and despite the static nature of much of the piece, it continually surprises with unlooked-for snatches of lyricism and, at times, rather aggressive development. I'd love to see a score of this work... I'm really not sure how one would notate this.

CRCulver

Quote from: krummholz on July 15, 2022, 09:29:24 AM
I'd love to see a score of this work... I'm really not sure how one would notate this.

IIRC (and it has been a long time), Spell is notated in a traditional way. However, the solo-piano and solo-harpsichord piece Turn on which is it based, has an interesting alternative notation that is worth seeing.

Madiel

Lots of his scores are on Issuu but this doesn't seem to be one of them.