Nørgård's Niche

Started by Kullervo, June 15, 2007, 06:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UB

CR - Good post - thanks!

Where I got my information was from Norgard's own talk in NY (2005 or 6 if I remember right) when the Danish embassy gave a number of concerts featuring his music. I also found his symphony #6 to be a real let down after the first 5.

However since you gave solid examples of how you think I am mistaken, I will get a couple of those works and try to hear what you are suggesting.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

greg

Quote from: UB on September 30, 2008, 05:20:11 PM
I also found his symphony #6 to be a real let down after the first 5.

Keep listening......

(at least, it worked for me)

CRCulver

Lately I've been enjoying some lesser-known works from Norgard's psychadelic period of the late 1960s. The String Quartet No. 5 "Inscape" uses a scale of microtones within the exceedingly limited compass of B to D, and discovers inside a wealth of possibilities. The String Quartet No. 4 "Dreamscape" has the live string quartet playing against two recorded string quartets on tape, and this must be quite nice to see live.

The most stunning work, however, may be Luna for orchestra. The importance of this piece has often been commented on in the literature, as together with its companion work "Iris" it marks Norgard's first vast use of the infinity series. However, it is talked about more often than it is heard, and that's a great pity. The work consists of isolating snippets of the infinity series grinding against each other as they move through the orchestral fabric. It's remarkable that Norgard wrote music of fragmentary character like this one before the straightforward presentation of the infinity series in Voyage into the Golden Screen a couple of years later.

Kullervo

Quote from: CRCulver on October 11, 2008, 11:29:17 AM
The most stunning work, however, may be Luna for orchestra. The importance of this piece has often been commented on in the literature, as together with its companion work "Iris" it marks Norgard's first vast use of the infinity series. However, it is talked about more often than it is heard, and that's a great pity. The work consists of isolating snippets of the infinity series grinding against each other as they move through the orchestral fabric. It's remarkable that Norgard wrote music of fragmentary character like this one before the straightforward presentation of the infinity series in Voyage into the Golden Screen a couple of years later.

Yes, Luna is one of my favorites (the short choral piece Flos ut Rosa shares the same melody). I've not heard Iris.

CRCulver

Quote from: Corey on October 11, 2008, 12:22:31 PM
Yes, Luna is one of my favorites (the short choral piece Flos ut Rosa shares the same melody). I've not heard Iris.

How is that possible? Luna uses only the chromatic infinity series. Norgard didn't discover the peculiar properties of the diatonic infinity series that create the Flos ut Rosa melody until the mid-1970s. (In The Music of Per Norgard: 14 Interpretative Essays there is the composer's own sketch "Flos ut Rosa-Genesis").

Kullervo

Quote from: CRCulver on October 11, 2008, 12:24:56 PM
How is that possible? Luna uses only the chromatic infinity series. Norgard didn't discover the peculiar properties of the diatonic infinity series that create the Flos ut Rosa melody until the mid-1970s. (In The Music of Per Norgard: 14 Interpretative Essays there is the composer's own sketch "Flos ut Rosa-Genesis").

Hah, sorry, I was thinking of Twilight (it's been awhile since I've heard either of them).

greg

Quote from: CRCulver on October 11, 2008, 11:29:17 AM
Lately I've been enjoying some lesser-known works from Norgard's psychadelic period of the late 1960s. The String Quartet No. 5 "Inscape" uses a scale of microtones within the exceedingly limited compass of B to D, and discovers inside a wealth of possibilities. The String Quartet No. 4 "Dreamscape" has the live string quartet playing against two recorded string quartets on tape, and this must be quite nice to see live.

Awesome, somebody else actually listens to those quartets!
I listen to them a lot, you could say...... 4 is my favorite, it's out of this world music- one of my favorite parts is when the all join for some type of glissando sound, and it ends up sounding like an army of violins, and it changes dynamics and holds for about a minute, then gets loud and they stay in a high range while the cello/bass make some kind a weird noise- but the overall effect is magic, like ripping thoughthe air and flying into another dimension (that's the only way I could think of describing it in words).

CRCulver

Norgard's Symphony No. 7 had its world premiere last night under the Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra. I'm sure reviews will appear in Danish newspapers this weekend. The Dacapo recording (hybrid SACD) is already available for purchase!

karlhenning

bhodges

Yes, great news indeed.  Nørgård's symphonies are high on my "get to know in 2009" list, after enjoying a number of his chamber and choral works. 

--Bruce

greg

Quote from: CRCulver on January 30, 2009, 08:15:36 AM
Norgard's Symphony No. 7 had its world premiere last night under the Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra. I'm sure reviews will appear in Danish newspapers this weekend. The Dacapo recording (hybrid SACD) is already available for purchase!
Well, finally! I wonder if Mikkel got to go.

CRCulver

For those curious to hear the new symphony, the broadcast of the premiere can still be heard on Danish Radio's website.

If you can't get their stupid online player to work, the second movement can be found on ]on Jorgen Falck's blog.

Clearly Norgard has taken his renewed interest in the infinity series much further than in his second harp concerto. We still hear the sort of wheezing motions of Through Thorns, but it's funny how so much of the action is reminiscent of Norgard's early infinity series orchestral work Luna, though diatonic instead of chromatic and rather unpredictable. It's bizarre how the symphony possesses such a C-major feel.

Yesterday, just a couple of days after the world premiere of the Symphony No. 7, there was the world premiere of Tæt På (En lys Time) for percussion ensemble, a two-tone (light-dark-dark-light) infinity series work.

Symphonien

Quote from: CRCulver on February 02, 2009, 11:14:23 AM
For those curious to hear the new symphony, the broadcast of the premiere can still be heard on Danish Radio's website.

Thank you very much for the link!

What an awesome program - the premiere of Nørgård's 7th followed by Mahler's 2nd! :o

greg

That was one of the best Norgard symphonies I've heard. Can't wait until it comes out on CD!

Quote from: Symphonien on February 03, 2009, 05:17:23 PM
Thank you very much for the link!

What an awesome program - the premiere of Nørgård's 7th followed by Mahler's 2nd! :o
Yeah, what an awesome pair!

bhodges

Quote from: CRCulver on February 02, 2009, 11:14:23 AM

If you can't get their stupid online player to work, the second movement can be found on ]on Jorgen Falck's blog.

Thanks so much!  (FYI, the online player worked just fine...but I gather you had some problems?)  Fascinating piece! 

--Bruce

Benji

Yes, thanks for the link! I am listening to it now, and loving it so far (just to the end of the first movement now). I definitely agree with the "C Major feel" comment - It's amazing how a bit of warmth can make modernism infinitely more accessible. I don't feel I'm having to 'work' at all to get it as I do with the 3rd/6th, but immediately I get the feeling that there is such depth that i'll be rewarded for more time spent with it. I'm thrilled by those schmaltzy/jazzy textures about half way through the movement - I felt it could almost break into a Gershwin tune!  ;D

Captivating start to the 2nd movement, really bold.

Yep, excellent stuff so far.  :)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: CRCulver on January 30, 2009, 08:15:36 AM

CR: Are you sure that's a hybrid? Not clear from this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001MUJSEQ/ref=s9_k2a_c5_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=10VXBNY54HQ5HPD0M7XV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463374953&pf_rd_i=468294

(coupled with the 3rd Symphony BTW)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

To answer my own question: Dacapo confirmed in an e-mail to me that it's a hybrid.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

CRCulver

There's an interview with Norgard in this week's Naxos blog podcast. There's nothing in there that a Norgard fan would find especially relevatory--in interviews with the general public Norgard just rehashes many of the same old stories (Sibelius, studying with Holmboe, his childhood "movies") in an Elliott Carter-like fashion. But there's some snippets from the new recording of the Third and Seventh for those who haven't bought the disc yet.

mikkeljs

Quote from: Gay Cuban Communist on January 30, 2009, 11:28:07 AM
Well, finally! I wonder if Mikkel got to go.

sorry I haven´t been here for a long time. My computer has broke down. Yes I were listening to the premiere on Nørgårds 7th and later Mahler! And afterwards I was talking with Nørgård. I liked the piece very much. It was the most perfect opening program for that fantastic building.