Beethoven Symphonies on Record

Started by Que, April 06, 2007, 04:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Annie on July 21, 2012, 05:48:30 AM
is this a remastered set? i have the recording somewhere. could you compare the quality between the two if i upload a movement of the 9th somewhere for you ?

I have the three doubles - those were remastered in 2000. I highly doubt that Supraphon remastered these recordings all over again for the complete set.

Q

annie

Quote from: jwinter on July 19, 2012, 11:47:34 AM

At any rate, I'm still absorbing the Chailly, but I would say that it's definitely worth exploring.  It will probably end up somewhere in my top 10 cycles overall.  (Not that I sit around ranking Beethoven cycles all day, but heck, it beats workin'  ;D )

i listened to your suggestion and acquired the chailly. i've finished it and wanted to thank to you. i wouldn't even have guessed...

bigshot

Quote from: Que on July 21, 2012, 06:29:32 AM
I have the three doubles - those were remastered in 2000. I highly doubt that Supraphon remastered these recordings all over again for the complete set.

I have the box and there's nothing fuzzy about the sound. It sounds fantastic. Haven't heard the earlier version.

The new erato

The Kletzki Beethoven were some of my first classical purchases around 40 years ago; not because I knew something about their quality, bot because Supraphon discs were cheap; and I was a student. I still have these LP discs around.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: bigshot on July 21, 2012, 02:04:43 PM
I have the box and there's nothing fuzzy about the sound. It sounds fantastic. Haven't heard the earlier version.

That's why remastering exists. I'll put it on the wish list.

Carnivorous Sheep

Tossing in yet another vote of confidence in the Kletzki. Fantastic cycle all around, and an amazing Ninth as someone mentioned.
Baa?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Que on July 21, 2012, 01:12:32 AM
You did'n shortlist the 9th, while I think this is one of the rare cycles with a superb 9th as a jewel in the crown. :)

+1

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

jwinter

Quote from: Annie on July 21, 2012, 04:22:19 PM
i listened to your suggestion and acquired the chailly. i've finished it and wanted to thank to you. i wouldn't even have guessed...

You're very welcome!  Glad you're enjoying it too.  It's definitely one of my best purchases in a while.  I've pretty much stopped buying Beethoven cycles -- I've got more than 50 of them at this point, and while the music still engages, I have reached a point where there has to be a really compelling reason for me to find the shelf space for yet another set.  But I think Chailly's is really something special -- for me, it's extremely satisfying.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

prémont

Quote from: jwinter on July 23, 2012, 11:09:22 AM
...  It's definitely one of my best purchases in a while.  I've pretty much stopped buying Beethoven cycles -- I've got more than 50 of them at this point, and while the music still engages, I have reached a point where there has to be a really compelling reason for me to find the shelf space for yet another set.  But I think Chailly's is really something special -- for me, it's extremely satisfying.

Thanks for your reviews of Chailly´s cycle above and here. Even if I own 44 cycles I still acquire a new one now and then (some way left to the 50  :)), and recently I got Leinsdorf´s and Wyn Morris´cycles. Chailly´s is now on my wishlist and will become purchased with my next JPC order.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jwinter

Quote from: (: premont :) on Today at 03:47:25 PM
Thanks for your reviews of Chailly´s cycle above and here. Even if I own 44 cycles I still acquire a new one now and then (some way left to the 50  :) ), and recently I got Leinsdorf´s and Wyn Morris´cycles. Chailly´s is now on my wishlist and will become purchased with my next JPC order.

Hope you like it!  Dude, I should be getting a percentage...  ;D 

Let us know how you like the Leinsdorf.  I've always enjoyed his 9, which is the only thing I've heard from it -- if the rest of it is as good as that, I may have to grab the set.

Brian

Cluytens is now on Naxos Music Library.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2012, 12:59:12 PM
Cluytens is now on Naxos Music Library.

It is also available in the ultra cheap 50 disc EMI set that also contains Cluytens' Overtures and violin concerto (with Oistrakh, which is playing as I write :D), string quartets by the Hungarian Quartet,  sonatas by Eric Heidsieck, the Missae by Giulini, Fidelio under Karajan, violin sonatas with Ferras and cello sonatas by Tortelier. The piano concertos are split between Gilels and Gelber.  Considering all the extra material in legendary performances it's worth the extra outlay.

xochitl

just heard mengelberg's 5th and 7th with the concertgebouw live.

the 5th absolutely blew my mind, especially the transition from scherzo to finale [i gasped audibly] never been so engaged with the last movement...and it didnt sound cheap!  i couldnt believe my ears

the 7th i felt was a bit more disfigured, even if 80% of it was extremely compelling.  i just felt like it was being twisted and molded waay too much

but that 5th!  ay!  my new favorite possibly displacing leibowitz, bruggen, wand, and dorati

cant wait to hear the rest of the cycle

mjwal

The Mengelberg is amazing, xochitl, but try the De Sabata, which is my overall preferred version of the work.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Brian

Listening closely to Chailly's cycle, I love almost everything about it, but it really does bother me that he had the new 'Urtext' critical edition available and chose not to use it. (Currently playing the 'Eroica'; that half-chopped-off trumpet solo in the first movement's coda is so delightfully quirky that it's a little disappointing when the missing bars get filled in.)

xochitl

does anyone know the menuhin/sinfonia varsovia cycle? i've always loved their renditions of the mozart symphonies but didnt know they'd also done beethoven

i was listening to the eroica and it was rather impressive: insightful, balanced, with absolutely gorgeous and incisive strings, and more heart than ive heard in most places outside bernstein.

gonna check out the rest for sure

prémont

Quote from: xochitl on November 18, 2013, 12:02:28 AM
does anyone know the menuhin/sinfonia varsovia cycle? i've always loved their renditions of the mozart symphonies but didnt know they'd also done beethoven

i was listening to the eroica and it was rather impressive: insightful, balanced, with absolutely gorgeous and incisive strings, and more heart than ive heard in most places outside bernstein.

Once upon a time there was a poster here, who was a fanatic fan of it, but I have parted with my set long time ago, finding the interpretations nice but unmemorable. Since then, I have become more of a completist, so your words make me consider a repurchase.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 18, 2013, 02:10:02 AM
Once upon a time there was a poster here, who was a fanatic fan of it, but I have parted with my set long time ago, finding the interpretations nice but unmemorable. Since then, I have become more of a completist, so your words make me consider a repurchase.

Welcome back. :)

Q

j winter

From the New York Times....

The Ultimate Beethoven Symphony Collection https://nyti.ms/2WLvlvg

Holden

Quote from: j winter on March 28, 2020, 05:26:54 PM
From the New York Times....

The Ultimate Beethoven Symphony Collection https://nyti.ms/2WLvlvg

Tomassini has not mentioned any of my favourites. OK he's a music critic but has he really listened to as many of the recordings as he can? Take the Eroica. Why would you choose the Bernstein over acknowledged great performances by Toscanini, Monteux (Concertegebouw), Leibowitz, Furtwangler.....
Cheers

Holden