Max Reger: his last composition..

Started by violinconcerto, May 13, 2018, 03:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

violinconcerto

In 1916 Max Reger started to compose an "Andante und Rondo capriccioso, for violin and small orchestra". But Reger died in May 1916 before he could finish the composition. When Florizel von Reuter visited Elsa Reger, the widow of Max Reger, in Munich in 1931 due to a concert performance, he learned about the unfinished composition. He asked for the permission to complete the work which Elsa Reger granted to him. Florizel von Reuter immediately started the task and completed the composition in piano reduction within 7 days! The premiere of this version took place on 15 February 1932 in Vienna with Florizel von Reuter (violin) and Franz Schmidt (piano). The orchestration took a few months and was premiered on 7 November 1932 in Munich with Florizel von Reuter (violin), the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra under Siegmund von Hausegger.

The full orchestral score of the "Symphonic rhapsody" was published by Universal Edition in 1933, but was only available for hire and just as a facsimile of the autograph manuscript. The piano reduction was completely left out.
I recently bought the autograph manuscript of this piano reduction and therefore I decided to typeset my autograph to make this version available for the public. I have now finished this work and the piano reduction of the "Symphonic rhapsody" by Max Reger and Florizel von Reuter can be downloaded free of charge from my website:

https://www.tobias-broeker.de/rare-manuscripts/m-r/reuter-florizel-von/

Enjoy and spread the word!

Best,
Tobias

Omicron9

Big Reger fan here.  Excellent, and thank you for doing this.

Regards,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Herman

I'm a Reger fan, too. Frankly I am quite happy with the magnificent Clarinet Quintet being Reger's last completed work, also because this completion of this Symphonic Rhapsody drags Reger (who died in 1916) quite forcibly into the Third Reich, of which the composer had no part.

Florizel Reuter (the "von" is fake) is one of those strange cases who went to Germany because he saw Hitler's madness as a career opportunity for himself. He wasn't the only one, but most did not sit the whole debacle out.

Florestan

Quote from: Herman on June 29, 2018, 08:45:31 AM
I'm a Reger fan, too. Frankly I am quite happy with the magnificent Clarinet Quintet being Reger's last completed work, also because this completion of this Symphonic Rhapsody drags Reger (who died in 1916) quite forcibly into the Third Reich, of which the composer had no part.

Oh, please! Leaving aside the fact that November 7, 1932 falls into the days of the Weimar Republic not of the Third Reich, you might as well claim that Georg Keulenkampff forcibly dragged Schumann into the Third Reich by premiering the Violin Concerto in 1937. This is as absurd as it gets.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Herman

Quote from: Florestan on June 29, 2018, 11:24:35 AM
Oh, please! Leaving aside the fact that November 7, 1932 falls into the days of the Weimar Republic not of the Third Reich, you might as well claim that Georg Keulenkampff forcibly dragged Schumann into the Third Reich by premiering the Violin Concerto in 1937. This is as absurd as it gets.

There are big differences. Kulenkampf was German-born, so he did not change his entire life, the way Reuter did, in order to join Nazi Germany. In fact Kulenkampff moved to Switzerland (very late, but still) because he couldn't take it anymore. Kulenkampff also insisted on playing the Mendelssohn concerto even though FM was a Jewish composer.

violinconcerto

hmm, Florizel von Reuter moved to Europe around 1900 to study with Marteau, then touring around Europe as a child prodigy and later as a "normal" violinist in the 1910s and 20s. So you think that this is a 30 year long warm-up for Nazi-Germany? Your comment really smells like personal antipathy. Florizel von Reuter might have been a strange figure with his sympathy for occultism. But what are your facts that he took advantages out of the Nazi regime that go beyond the advantages other - now highly respected - musicians like Karajan, Furtwängler, etc took from the Nazi regime?