Tone Poems

Started by Lethevich, June 16, 2007, 01:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne

At the start of Die Walkure we hear a storm as Hunding searches for shelter.

Anne

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 18, 2007, 06:23:19 PM
Yes, that portrait is famous. Its painter is one of the best artists to have come out of Russia.

Speaking of paintings, Böcklin's has inspired Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead, which appears to be a favourite of many here!

Yes, that Bocklin "Isle of the Dead" painting is one of my favorites also.  Rachmaninoff's "Isle of the Dead" is the only Rachmaninoff music that I like so far.  Still need to seriously listen to "Vespers" and "The Bells."  I'm not a Rachmaninoff fan.  Do you like his music?

Who was the painter of Mussorgsky's portrait?  I have never run across his name.

Lilas Pastia

Ilya Repin, probably the greatest russian painter of his time. This link has superb examples of his art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Repin

Anne

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 22, 2007, 03:59:28 AM

Ilya Repin, probably the greatest russian painter of his time. This link has superb examples of his art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Repin

Thank you!  Much appreciated.  Thanks for the URL also.

Iago

Quote from: Anne on June 21, 2007, 06:45:21 PM
At the start of Die Walkure we hear a storm as Hunding searches for shelter.
Since Act I of Die Walkure takes place in "Hundings Haus", I don't think he would have to search for shelter too long. I guess he knew where he lived.
You are referring to Siegmunds search for shelter, which he finds courtesy of Sieglinde.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

Iago

Strauss' "Don Juan".
Especially in the hands of a Straussian of the caliber of Fritz Reiner conducting the CSO.
The Dons final orgasm is musically depicted, as no other conductor depicts it. Ravishingly beautiful orchestral tone, precision and clarity.
For me, there is NO other.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

Anne

Quote from: Iago on June 22, 2007, 02:13:52 PM
Since Act I of Die Walkure takes place in "Hundings Haus", I don't think he would have to search for shelter too long. I guess he knew where he lived.
You are referring to Siegmunds search for shelter, which he finds courtesy of Sieglinde.

Thanks for the correction, Iago.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

1. Sibelius - Tapiola
1. Sibelius - The Wood Nymph
1. Sibelius - Finlandia
4. Sibelius - The Swan of Tuonela
5-10. ?

Genious Sibelius is so great @ tone poems. I haven't listened to much to his other tone poems, but thousand of times to the above mentioned. It's especially sad the wood nymph is so unknown to lots of people. Its such a strong tone poem with a dramatic solution!

My next try will be night ride and sunrise. Have listened to it once, a very modern piece.

Xenophanes

I've counted cycles as one.  I realize that brings the total to 18, but . . .

Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead

Sibelius - Lemminkainen Suites

Debussy - La Mer

Ravel - Rapsodie Espagnole

Mayuzumi - Samsara

Dukas - The Sorceror's Apprentice

Borodin - In the Steppes of Central Asia

Smetana - Ma Vlast

Respighi - Pines of Rome

Bax - Tintagel

There are some things called overtures which might qualify, notably Mendelssohn's Hebrides.

longears

Quote from: 71 dB on June 16, 2007, 10:55:31 AM
I used to like Sibelius before I really started to listen to classical music. Nowadays I find his symphonies simple and orchestrated in an annoying way.
Only the simple-minded view complexity as a virtue.  Your inability to grasp Sibelius is a lamentable deficiency.  Mistakenly locating the deficiency in Sibelius's music is a regrettable consequence of arrogance.  As for annoying....

Top 10 tone poems:  pick any ten by Sibelius.  Include Luonnotar, Pohjola's Daughter, Tapiola, and Oceanides.

The Emperor

Quote from: Anne on June 21, 2007, 06:56:42 PM
Yes, that Bocklin "Isle of the Dead" painting is one of my favorites also.  Rachmaninoff's "Isle of the Dead" is the only Rachmaninoff music that I like so far.  Still need to seriously listen to "Vespers" and "The Bells."  I'm not a Rachmaninoff fan.  Do you like his music?

Who was the painter of Mussorgsky's portrait?  I have never run across his name.

Isle of the Dead owns!! That would be my nº1.
La mer, Filandia are up there too.

Anne try Rach's trio elegiaque, you might like those, a bit dark as well, amazing pieces.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Sergei Rachmaninov - Isle of the Dead

Havergal Brian - Elegy

Richard Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra

Mieczyslaw Karlowicz - Stanislaw and Anna Oswiecim

Frederick Delius - On Hearing The First Cuckoo In Spring

Rued Langgaard - Music of the Spheres

Erich Wolfgang Korngold - Sursum Corda

Ludwig van Beethoven - Egmont Overture

Ottorino Respighi - Pini di Roma

Robert Schumann - Manfred Overture

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

LaciDeeLeBlanc

I'd like to add David Maslanka's A Child's Garden of Dreams. Although it is a Wind ensemble piece, I'm sure it qualifies as a tone poem. Has anyone hear heard it?

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Hi,

with great pleasure I listen to Sergej Rachmaninoff - The Isle of the Dead and I was happy to have found it. One more tone poem, a single piece of music for big orchestras, a kind of program music which carries a specific picture. Which is maybe like 10 minutes or more in length.

Maybe there are more? Many more? And what are they telling? I'm also thinking of pieces which occur in suites or symphonies. E.g. like the Sibelius Swan of Tuonela. Music that has a very clear program.

To date I know the Sibelius ones and the Rachmaninoff. Just examples:

Sibelius - Tapiola - [Forest (god)] - HIS BEST WORK
Sibelius - The wood nymph - [love, drama (it's probably the same, anyway)]
Rachmaninoff also known as Rakhmaninov - Isle of the Dead [Isle of the dead [image]]

EDIT: Okay, Wikipedia wins again. All has been written. We can close the forum :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonic_poem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphonic_poems
Anyway, what to try next and why, what's it about?

Brian

Among my favorites are a totally new discovery, the last tone poems of Mieczyslaw Karlowicz. You might want to sample the new Naxos release (excellent performances!) to try them out - my particular favorite is "Episode at a Masquerade", which manages the nifty trick of being both exuberant and fun, and a heart-tugging tragedy, at the same time.

If you're willing to head back in time, there is Bedrich Smetana to discover. You'll love Richard Strauss, Josef Suk (Asrael, Summer's Tale and Ripening - part of a series in which Suk began to cope with the sudden deaths of his wife and father-in-law), and Dvorak's cycle of four tone poems, too. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Brian on August 05, 2008, 09:12:40 PM
Among my favorites are a totally new discovery, the last tone poems of Mieczyslaw Karlowicz. You might want to sample the new Naxos release (excellent performances!) to try them out - my particular favorite is "Episode at a Masquerade", which manages the nifty trick of being both exuberant and fun, and a heart-tugging tragedy, at the same time.

Yes yes yes! He wrote six, and they all have their beauties. I have the Noseda/Tortelier series on Chandos. And some Polish readings.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Subotnick

A recent discovery of mine is Vasily Sergeyevich Kalinnikov. His symphonies are very good, but my favourite pieces by him are the Epic Poem, The Nymphs and The Cedar And The Palm. Little known gems which all come highly reccomended.

TTFN.
Me.

Christo

Quote from: Brian on August 05, 2008, 09:12:40 PM
and Dvorak's cycle of four tone poems, too. :)

There are actually five, but it's good that you ignore the fifth, The Hero's Song. The first four are my favourite Dvořák overall. They were all writen in a sequel in 1896-97: The Water Goblin, The Noon Witch, The Golden Spinning Wheel, The Wood Dove. Unlike their successor (The Hero's Song) these first four were based upon ballads by folklorist Karel Erben.

Yet, there's plenty more to go for, not mentioned by Wikipedia. Kallinnikov and Karłowicz - new Naxos release as well - have been mentioned already. Other lesser known symphonic poems that I would recommend:

* Hamilton Harty (1879-1941), With the Wild Geese (1910)
* Heino Eller (1887-1970), Koit [Dawn], Videvik [Twilight], Viirastused [Fantoms], Varjus ja päikesepaistel [In Shade and Sunshine], Laulvad Pöllud [Singing Fields] (c. 1917-50)
* Cemal Reşit Rey (1904-1985), Bebek Efsanesi, Karagöz, Initation, L'appel, Fatih (c. 1928-53) and also Türkiye (discovered among his papers posthumously)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Grazioso

A huge array of wonderful choices out there! Some that I've been enjoying (again) of late are those of Vitezslav Novak (Lady Godiva, In the Tatra Mountains, etc.) and Douglas Lilburn (Aoteroa, Drysdale Overture, etc.). Bax has some really evocative beauties like Tintagel, November Woods, and On the Sea-Shore. There's of course Smetana's Ma Vlast tone poem cycle, suite/poems like Debussy's La Mer and Bridge's The Sea, Strauss's famous Don Juan, Ein Heldenleben, Also Sprach Zarathustra, and other very descriptive tone poems for large orchestra. Romeo and Juliet of Tchaikovsky, Les Preludes by Liszt, or for something recent, Rautavaara's On the Last Frontier (inspired by EA Poe).
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

petrarch

Quote from: Wurstwasser on August 05, 2008, 08:16:53 PM
EDIT: Okay, Wikipedia wins again. All has been written. We can close the forum :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonic_poem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphonic_poems
Anyway, what to try next and why, what's it about?

There's one missing from that list: Ligeti's Poème symphonique pour 100 métronomes :D. Video here.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole