Andre Campra

Started by Ciel_Rouge, February 12, 2010, 05:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciel_Rouge

Ciel_Rouge

For better quality vocals, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg70yC6xkb0

Now I wonder if there are any recordings available, I see it comes from Les Fetes Venitiennes....

Ciel_Rouge

Still no luck with the Fetes Venitiennes, however this album seems promising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfFAnBXPknE

Guido

I'm always pleasantly jolted with things like this - that you find this so wonderful, and that I find it so prosaic and dull is a wonderful reminder of how different our aesthetics can be when discussing the same thing.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Mirror Image

Quote from: Guido on September 28, 2010, 05:37:27 AM
I'm always pleasantly jolted with things like this - that you find this so wonderful, and that I find it so prosaic and dull is a wonderful reminder of how different our aesthetics can be when discussing the same thing.

I agree. Campra's music almost put me to sleep, not because it was relaxing, but because it was boring and dull.

Ciel_Rouge

Strange indeed, I like his Sommeil and the Papillon, the Sommeil does sound a bit boring if you stop it after a few secs and do not let the whole thing flourish - but if you listened to the whole piece this seems a bit perplexing. And yet I am sure that I like some things that you like and have been listening to the classical (from the medieval right up to the 20th c.) for a few years now. Perhaps somebody DOES like Campra in our forum?

val

I don't think that Campra is a great composer but, at least, he composed some interesting music: the Requiem and the opera Idomenee (with a different finale of Mozart's opera) and some Motets (De Profundis, Notus in Judea Deus and in special the remarkable Beatus vir).

Drasko

Quote from: Ciel_Rouge on October 02, 2010, 01:34:24 AM
Perhaps somebody DOES like Campra in our forum?

I do have moderate liking for Campra, and I think I posted few times about his music on the forum. Check French Baroque Music and French Baroque Opera threads. You could discover some other names of that era that might interest you. Don't think there is much future in starting separate threads on lesser known composers of French baroque, it's too much of a niche interest.