Emmanuel Nunes (1941-2012)

Started by petrarch, February 12, 2010, 06:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petrarch

I noticed there was no thread for portuguese composer Emmanuel Nunes. I have various of his pieces, of which my favorite is probably Quodlibet. If you like Stockhausen and Boulez, you'll probably like Nunes.

http://www.mic.pt/ingl/presentation.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Nunes
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

UB

Nunes was featured at this year's Huddersfield Festival and a number of his pieces were broadcast on Hear and Now. Unfortunately I only recorded his Litanies du feu et de la mer I for solo piano which had some interesting sections but I thought was a little long for what it had to say. The Huddersfield site has an interview with Nunes that you might enjoy reading.

I do not know Quodlibet but I do have and enjoy his Wandlungen which includes electronics.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

snyprrr

I have the Erato disc with Music der Fruhe and the SQ, Esquisses (w/Arditti). The orchestral piece has a bit of the Scelsi + Stravinsky, whilst the SQ has a pretty smooth contour (nothing avant scary, just avant cool). The SQ is from the late '60s (revised early '80s). I think the other piece is from the late '70s (still pretty early for him).

I haven't heard any of the Naive discs. Nunes doesn't appear to go for the scary side of the avant, preferring intergration over deconstruction (not meaning that he's simple, though, just not grating). He certainly doesn't have many recordings.

petrarch

Quote from: snyprrr on February 13, 2010, 08:24:23 AM
I have the Erato disc with Music der Fruhe and the SQ, Esquisses (w/Arditti). The orchestral piece has a bit of the Scelsi + Stravinsky, whilst the SQ has a pretty smooth contour (nothing avant scary, just avant cool). The SQ is from the late '60s (revised early '80s). I think the other piece is from the late '70s (still pretty early for him).

I haven't heard any of the Naive discs. Nunes doesn't appear to go for the scary side of the avant, preferring intergration over deconstruction (not meaning that he's simple, though, just not grating). He certainly doesn't have many recordings.

I have a number of his CDs and a few recordings direct from DAT tapes he made himself at concerts (ping me if you are interested in exploring his music further).

I think I understand what you mean and agree completely (wrt integration vs deconstruction). Even though he has strict processes of composition, his music is inspired and guided by poetry, literature and painting and he does privilege the resulting whole sound, rather than the constituent elements.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

I just received the deeply saddening news that Emmanuel Nunes has died earlier today in an hospital in Paris. Details are scarce at this point, but I imagine they will surface over the next few days.

His immense generosity, the breadth of his thinking and teaching, will forever live on in my memory, and and his music will remain an inspiration.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on September 02, 2012, 04:42:09 PM
I just received the deeply saddening news that Emmanuel Nunes has died earlier today in an hospital in Paris. Details are scarce at this point, but I imagine they will surface over the next few days.

His immense generosity, the breadth of his thinking and teaching, will forever live on in my memory, and and his music will remain an inspiration.

well that comes out of nowhere :( I will listen today

I thought Boulez was looking kind of old lately. Oh, I don't do well on these Topics.

Pessoa

I also have the Erato cd with Esquisses, that´s the only recording I´ve ever met from him. I listened to it frequently years ago. I feel like listening to it again now, A Portuguese composer I used to seek and never find before the internet era is Jorge Peixinho. Then the internet era came but I forgot about him and never tried to look him up. What do you make of him?

snyprrr

Quote from: Pessoa on November 12, 2013, 01:23:55 PM
I also have the Erato cd with Esquisses, that´s the only recording I´ve ever met from him. I listened to it frequently years ago. I feel like listening to it again now, A Portuguese composer I used to seek and never find before the internet era is Jorge Peixinho. Then the internet era came but I forgot about him and never tried to look him up. What do you make of him?

Tell me what you think of that orchestral Work on the Erato- something 'fruhe'? It's a 'sunrise' piece, no?

Pessoa

I don't know about technical aspects or its historical relevance. I find it smooth flowing, not ecstatic in the way of Messiaen but a little bit ecstatic in spite of those railway-like trials of getting impulse but falling back immediately into self-restraint, suggestive with some mysterious flavour to it. A very pleasant listening indeed. To me, it has gained a lot since I last listened to it a few years ago and makes me want to find more of his output.
I hope I´ve been able to transmit something understandable  :(

Edt: enthralled, I'm listening to it again.