The Bi-Keuris Thread!

Started by snyprrr, February 14, 2010, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

That's right, I went there, haha! :o ;D

So, Tristan Keuris, Dutch composer. Barely a mention in the Dutch Thread, I believe.

I have his Clarinet Quintet (w/Schnittke & Yun), and, whatever its merits, compared to Schnittke's SQ No.3, and Yun's No.5, I can't remember anything particularly special. I will endeavor to dig it up and listen afresh.

As I checked Amazon, I saw his SQ No.1 on a new recording with Babbitt's No.4. Then there's a disc with Shosty 8 & 11 (I think) and Keuris No.2. And then!!... there's a disc with SQs 1-2 & the Clarinet Quintet!! This could be an interesting diversion, perhaps. Along with Bacri, Hamel,...

Then there's really only two big discs of Keuris orchestral: 2 Violin Concertos, a Sinfonia, and... I don't remember. The point is, his discography is pretty small. He's one of those Modern Composers who shows up on a lot of sax recitals. That's why his Amazon is 3 pages, haha!

No, I didn't check the Dutch Thread first. No, there's no real reason I can think of to single Keuris out particularly. Somewhere out there one of you has a Keuris disc and are just dyyying to share it with us sweetie! :-*

UB

I became a fan of Keuris' music when I heard his Clarinet Quintet on a used LP I picked up many years ago.

I would put his music in the style of modern tonal music - for some reason what first comes to mind is some of the music of Sallinen and Ruders.

My favorite CD which is still in print includes his early Sinfonia, Violin Concerto I and the excellent Movements. 

Unfortunately the one with his late Violin Concerto 2 and Symphony in D is not.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

Henk

There's a box set released with all his works.

UB

Do you have it Henk?  I was wondering what was on the DVD that comes with the set.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

Maciek

Quote from: snyprrr on February 14, 2010, 08:19:50 PM
I have his Clarinet Quintet (w/Schnittke & Yun), and, whatever its merits, compared to Schnittke's SQ No.3, and Yun's No.5, I can't remember anything particularly special.

Watch out! Johan/Christo will jump at you for saying that! (His brother recorded the symphony so Keuris is practically his relative.) ;D

I have to apologize for being very harsh towards Keuris on the old board. Don't know what got into me.

Henk

Quote from: UB on February 15, 2010, 02:53:34 AM
Do you have it Henk?  I was wondering what was on the DVD that comes with the set.

I don't have it.

snyprrr

Quote from: Henk on February 14, 2010, 11:58:13 PM
There's a box set released with all his works.

Yes,...ok,...now I'm embarassed, haha. :-[ :-[ :-[

That's a biiig box!! :o wow!

Quote from: Maciek on February 15, 2010, 04:46:56 AM
Watch out! Johan/Christo will jump at you for saying that! (His brother recorded the symphony so Keuris is practically his relative.) ;D

I will cer-tain-ly listen again to this hidden masterpiece! ;D

Quote from: UB on February 14, 2010, 09:38:35 PM
what first comes to mind is some of the music of Sallinen and Ruders.

Ruders, yes, that sounds about right.

I'm still shaking my head over that box set. Wow,...he wrote that much stuff already, huh? Wow!

snyprrr

This cd with Keuris' SQ No.1, and Kagel's No.4, but the Lagos Ensemble, on Turle Records, is a SACD/Hybrid (I don't know these things,... I listen on a boom box, haha) recording of incredible sonic pleasure.

Besides the actual record, which really is worth raving about, Keuris' SQ No.1 (1981)is revealed to be a really,...well, let's just say I took to it immediately. You may think Shosty, or a better Gorecki, or some EasternEuropeanAngst, but what comes across the most (and the notes mention this too), is how this music really resembles an Escher strairway. I can't describe it, but I just really liked this SQ. Maybe it's the grey weather. It sounds like normal music, so, really, it's just Keuris' invention that I'm tickling to, I guess. I'm surprised I liked it so much after listening to the Clarinet Quintet again recently. I'll have to check it out some more.

The record is short on time (@54mins), but, as a recording, and presentation, it truly is a "gift". Hey, yea, I do feel "elite", "smart", or whatever, when I respond to something that appears so intellectually stimulating and enjoyable. I'm not saying it supercedes, say, Babbitt, in that regard, but, ha,... give it a shot.

And, if you have a six speaker system, by all means!! The notes are a hoot as to what the "preferred" system is to listen to the cd on.

I'm afraid I might have to check that disc with the SQs 1-2 & the Clainet Qnt.

Turner

Can recommend the box heartily. Got a special price from a Dutch dealer a couple of years ago - check out options over a period.

Like say Denisov, Keuris got a tendency to repeat himself somewhat at times, but still there is at least a dozen of really impressive pieces - including the piano concerto, the double concerto for 2 cellos, movements for orchestra, and the vocal symphony, etc. etc.

His style is quite accessible, yet fresh and even melodic - comparisons with mid- and late Stravinsky often seem quite appropriate.

lescamil

Keuris's music is some of the prettiest (without resorting to saccharine post-romantic tonality) of the last half of the century. I love the Sinfonia the turning point of his compositional language, which has some very beautiful moments, especially the piano solo ending. I have the box set, but I find myself going back to this old Donemus CD instead. These three pieces are of course on the box if you can't find this CD (it's long out of print).

http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/tristan-keuris-violin-concerto-movements-sinfonia-mr0002731233

If you like Keuris, I would suggest his Dutch cohorts Peter Schat and Jan van Vlijmen. They're harder-edged but both of their later styles "softened" to something that sounds very similar to Keuris, in my opinion.

EDIT: The Donemus CD is on YouTube in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5R9QcIx4Yc&list=PLUSRfoOcUe4a7p8SgmJMdeQSoFNl4BhG4
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

snyprrr

I was like- what asshole named this Thread---- LOL!!!