"Golden Age Pianists":Cortot, Moiseiwitsch,Sofronitsky,Ney,Michelangeli etc

Started by Mandryka, February 16, 2010, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

I don't know what Quobuz is offering. But the soundbits at amazon for the Hansen sound like a historical fortepiano to my ears?!? Certainly not like a 1940s or 50s piano recording...

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01BCP3WWY/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Yes is believe it is a fortepiano, not a very good one IMO, though I can't find the details.

Hansen was a pupil of Edwin Fischer, and it shows, in fact I like his style more than I like Edwin Fischer's! 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on April 06, 2019, 11:24:04 AM

He recorded the Trout Quintet with The Strub Quartet, which I'm keen to hear if anyone knows of a transfer.

This turns out to be available for free here, a very good transfer IMO and an excellent performance, with surprisingly "dark" moments and both pianists and Strubs inspired by their encounter,  better than the one that the Strubs made with Ney IMO

https://paulmichaelvonganski.wordpress.com/tag/strub-quartett/

The Strub Quartet are amazing IMO, I have them in this recording of the Schubert string quintet

If anyone sees a transfer of their recording of the Schubert G major quartet please let me know.

Mandryka

Jo498

Thanks for the Hansen/Strub link! Interesting and as you say, rather "serious" interpretation. And the sound is very good as well. (I am not the biggest fan of the "Trout" but it still is a great piece once in a while, maybe Schuberts first instrumental masterpiece together with the sonata D 664.)
It's surprising that there are so few recordings with the Strub Qt. I had not been aware that they were active for 20 years after the war until the mid 60s. I thought I had more Strub from some private transfers, but I can't find it...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

I very much enjoy Petri's late Beethoven and for the first time I've started to listen to his Brahms op 117. Vigorous youthful late Brahms, no romantic effusion or Edwardian gentleman wiping away a tear of nostalgia here! No mystery neither but we can't have anything. 

Anyone else appreciate this pianist?

Years ago when I first heard this approach to late Brahms in Grimaud, I thought of it as "modern", but nothing could be further from the truth. It may be modernist, but it's not modern.

Mandryka

Comparing the 1955 Munich recital of Chopin preludes on these two transfers, I find myself much preferring the Urania. The Warner transfer (CD 28)  seems to have a boomy bass.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 07, 2019, 01:37:39 PM

Comparing the 1952 Munich recital of Chopin preludes on these two transfers, I find myself much preferring the Urania. The Warner transfer seems to have a boomy bass.

Interesting findings, as I generally find Urania's work to be inferior to their competitors. I haven't compared a ton of them, though.

The Urania cover reads 1955/56 and your post references 1952. But Disc 28 on Warner/EMI is a 1957 London performance. 

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

I too was surprised. It sound much closer, I think that the closeness is putting me off, you probably hear more of the piano tone, but at a cost.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 07, 2019, 01:45:43 PM

I too was surprised. It sound much closer, I think that the closeness is putting me off, you probably hear more of the piano tone, but at a cost.

Thanks, I just edited my post above, can you clarify?

Mandryka

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 07, 2019, 01:50:22 PM
No . . . tomorrow  . . . it's late here!

OK. The reason for the difference in sound is that they are actually two completely different performances, recorded in different places and in different years.

And yes, the Warner/EMI transfer is overly dark and heavy on the bass. A shame, since it is the latest recording in that box. In 1957 they should have been able to get MUCH better sound than this.   

Mandryka

Quote from: George on November 07, 2019, 01:54:54 PM
OK. The reason for the difference in sound is that they are actually two completely different performances, recorded in different places and in different years.

And yes, the Warner/EMI transfer is overly dark and heavy on the bass. A shame, since it is the latest recording in that box. In 1957 they should have been able to get MUCH better sound than this.

Ah, that explains it! Thanks

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 07, 2019, 02:02:48 PM
Ah, that explains it! Thanks

No problem. Thanks for getting me to pull out the Cortot box. It has been gathering dust for too long now.

vers la flamme

Does Vladimir Horowitz count? The guy created some absolutely amazing recordings.

These are some Horowitz CDs that I really like, made up of recordings from different points in his career:

^This disc contains an astonishing recording of Poulenc's C major Novelette. It's two minutes long but it blows me away every time I hear it

^Great, arch-Romantic Scarlatti. Horowitz gives a new meaning to what Jan Swafford once wrote about Scarlatti: that he was to the harpsichord what Chopin was to the piano. If you do not like "anachronistic" music then steer clear.

j winter

Love that Scarlatti disc, anachronistic or no....  even in some of his very late recordings, Horowitz's technique is just jaw-dropping.... :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/mmQigJQM9JQ

Benno interview from the BBC. Good comments on Schumann, as you would expect.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 29, 2020, 11:25:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/v/mmQigJQM9JQ

Benno interview from the BBC. Good comments on Schumann, as you would expect.

Yeah, that's on his most recent Testament release, a 3CD set.

George

Having just enjoyed this new 2CD release, I highly recommend it! Great transfers and performances. Her Chopin is particularly special.