Hans Rott (1858 - 1884)

Started by mahler10th, February 23, 2010, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Jo498 on December 04, 2020, 12:44:33 AM
The rediscovery of Rott about 30 years ago was mainly about his only complete orchestral symphony in E major. While it is a remarkable work, I think both its quality and the influence on Mahler have been a bit exaggerated by Rott aficionados. But people who like Mahler and/or Bruckner should give it a try. Especially the scherzo (by far the best movement, I think) is spookily "Mahlerian".

I am a little more enthusiastic than Jo498 about the Rott Symphony.  For sure not flawless but it has some really compelling passages.  Certainly the equal or better of many contemporary Austro-Germanic symphonies (think the CPO catalogue!).  The finale triangle is an aberration.  Try the Jarvi/Frankfurt recording which is very impressive (but I do like the epic style of Sergestam triangle and all!)

Jo498

I was quite fascinated by the symphony and bought one of the first recordings (Gerhard Samuel on hyperion) in ca. 1996 or so when the symphony was touted in several publications and internet fora. It deservedly received better recordings and I even saw it once live in Berlin with Järvi senior (which was luck/accident, I didn't plan on it, it was just what was on the program the week I visited a friend).
I'd probably agree that it does hold up with Raff (albeit a generation older and more polished) or whatever cpo has dug out in the last 20 years. ;) But this is not like a second Mahler or Bruckner.
But there are some fans who claim the Rott would have been equal to Mahler (nobody knows what would have been) and that Mahler was hugely indebted to Rott which is also quite unclear because it seems that Mahler only saw the score of the Rott symphony when he had already written his first 2 or 3 symphonies. Especially the scherzo does sound close to Mahler (the rest really doesnt, IMO) but both Rott and Mahler obviously had a very similar background and some aspects of Bruckner as inspiration. I think the quality of Rott's symphony tends to get slightly and Mahler's debt to Rott gets hugely exaggerated.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

mahler10th

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 06, 2020, 04:10:22 PM

This recording is mercilessly breathtaking. I can't assimilate its powerful impact on me yet. Glorious beyond words!

YES!!
So, didn't take me long to get back here.  Just to say a new Rott SET is in the process of being released..!!!

I'll review soon...

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Scots John on December 11, 2020, 04:53:52 AM
YES!!
So, didn't take me long to get back here.  Just to say a new Rott SET is in the process of being released..!!!

I'll review soon...

Segerstam and P. Järvi are my favorites thus far, and I have good expectations of that forthcoming release too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky