Hans Rott (1858 - 1884)

Started by mahler10th, February 23, 2010, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

I just came across this:

[asin]B00KHM4N2M[/asin]

It seems to be an orchestration of 5 Rott songs for piano and voice, plus some connecting pieces ("Commentaries") composed by the orchestrator Enjott Schneider "in a contemporary idiom."

And...

Soon we could have a "blind listening" game for the Rott Symphony:D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

xochitl

just heard the string quartet in Cm

never came across Rott's music before and honestly, i can see why Brahms didnt like his stuff...a lot of it is just plain clunky. there are striking flashes of brilliance though.

now on to the symphony with Segerstam

calyptorhynchus

I am a great enthusiast for the Symphony, but I only have the Segerstam recording.

My admiration for it is strenghtened by the thought that if Rott had had a normal composing career this Symphony would have been his No.0, as it were.

However, listening to it today I suddenly realsied that Rott overuses the triangle more than a little; many of the louder passages of the Symphony have a constant tinkling in the background. Do any of the conducters of the available recordings intervene and cut back on this feature at all?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Jo498

Yes, I think the first ever recording on hyperion reduced the triangle's contributions. I now have the Weigle recording but do not remember how much triangle it has.
There are more by P. Järvi (RCA), Russel Davies (cpo), Layer/Montepellier (naive), Rückwardt/Mainz (Acousense). I have not heard them but with at least 7 recordings the piece can probably count as established. I've heard it live once with Järvi senior and the Berlin Philharmonic.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on May 10, 2015, 07:15:30 PM
However, listening to it today I suddenly realsied that Rott overuses the triangle more than a little; many of the louder passages of the Symphony have a constant tinkling in the background. Do any of the conducters of the available recordings intervene and cut back on this feature at all?

Rott and Segerstam turn the work into a Concerto for Triangle and Orchestra. Some here like the effect. Not me. Weigle is my favorite performance, not least of all because he and his recording team do a good job burying the annoying "tinkling."

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on May 10, 2015, 07:15:30 PM
I am a great enthusiast for the Symphony, but I only have the Segerstam recording.

However, listening to it today I suddenly realsied that Rott overuses the triangle more than a little; many of the louder passages of the Symphony have a constant tinkling in the background.

Some day a musicologist will prove that Rott suffered from a high-pitched tinkling tinnitus.   ;)

I am not bothered by the triangle, but yes, it is a curiosity in the orchestration. 

jlaurson

Quote from: Cato on May 11, 2015, 03:47:45 AM
Some day a musicologist will prove that Rott suffered from a high-pitched tinkling tinnitus.   ;)

I am not bothered by the triangle, but yes, it is a curiosity in the orchestration.

Are we talking about the Symphonic Concerto for Triangle by Hans Rott?

I've counted the bars in which the triangle makes an appearance!

Symphonic Addict

This recording is mercilessly breathtaking. I can't assimilate its powerful impact on me yet. Glorious beyond words!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 06, 2020, 04:10:22 PM

This recording is mercilessly breathtaking. I can't assimilate its powerful impact on me yet. Glorious beyond words!

I'm also an admirer of the symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 06, 2020, 04:10:22 PM

Yes, Segerstam brings out everything in a most excellent fashion!

Cato

I just discovered these via a Gustav Mahler FaceBook notification:

Intriguing artwork!   ;)

springrite

Quote from: Cato on October 14, 2014, 04:31:09 PM
I just came across this:

[asin]B00KHM4N2M[/asin]

It seems to be an orchestration of 5 Rott songs for piano and voice, plus some connecting pieces ("Commentaries") composed by the orchestrator Enjott Schneider "in a contemporary idiom."

And...

Soon we could have a "blind listening" game for the Rott Symphony:D
This is the recording that I have.

Am I the only person to have this recording???
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: springrite on November 29, 2020, 08:34:14 PM
Am I the only person to have this recording???

I have it too. It's one of five Rott Symphony performances I own.

Sarge

Daverz

Quote from: Cato on November 29, 2020, 05:01:47 AM
I just discovered these via a Gustav Mahler FaceBook notification:

I've read a couple reviews that trash the music.  I can easily stream it, I suppose, but don't usually intentionally seek out bad listening experiences.   I do like the Symphony in a different recording (Paavo Järvi, IIRC).

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 02, 2020, 06:38:24 AM
I have it too. It's one of five Rott Symphony performances I own.

Sarge

Which is your favourite Sarge?

I only have the Cincinnati and BIS recordings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

I googled him on youtube and listened to his string symphony.  Enjoyable but, pardon in my humble opinion, not particularly memorable.  Which work do you think I should listen to next?  I'm willing to give him another shot.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on December 02, 2020, 09:35:22 PM
Which is your favourite Sarge?

I only have the Cincinnati and BIS recordings.

I don't own the Cincinnati and actively dislike Segerstam because of the prominent triangle which grates on my nerves. I prefer Weigle but also like Albrecht, Davies and Järvi.

Sarge

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 03, 2020, 03:49:56 PM
I don't own the Cincinnati and actively dislike Segerstam because of the prominent triangle which grates on my nerves. I prefer Weigle but also like Albrecht, Davies and Järvi.

Sarge

Many thanks Sarge.

Jo498

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 03, 2020, 04:01:53 AM
I googled him on youtube and listened to his string symphony.  Enjoyable but, pardon in my humble opinion, not particularly memorable.  Which work do you think I should listen to next?  I'm willing to give him another shot.

The rediscovery of Rott about 30 years ago was mainly about his only complete orchestral symphony in E major. While it is a remarkable work, I think both its quality and the influence on Mahler have been a bit exaggerated by Rott aficionados. But people who like Mahler and/or Bruckner should give it a try. Especially the scherzo (by far the best movement, I think) is spookily "Mahlerian".
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on December 04, 2020, 12:44:33 AM
The rediscovery of Rott about 30 years ago was mainly about his only complete orchestral symphony in E major. While it is a remarkable work, I think both its quality and the influence on Mahler have been a bit exaggerated by Rott aficionados. But people who like Mahler and/or Bruckner should give it a try. Especially the scherzo (by far the best movement, I think) is spookily "Mahlerian".
Thank you Jo!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter