Hans Rott (1858 - 1884)

Started by John Copeland, February 23, 2010, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Copeland

Right then. 
HANS ROTT
If you've never heard him, now's your chance.

LINKS NO LONGER EXIST

This is the third movement of Hans's only symphony. 
I created it myself from the two piece MP4's originally published, alas it is ok (320 kbps), but I'm not happy with its clarity.  I need an MP4 ripper to keep it in its original state.

So, if you want to see it and hear it in higher definition, here are the links:

LINKS NO LONGER EXIST

It is originally published by the RLPO itself.
I was at the concert, and was shouting approval at the end of the piece...but I can't hear myself...maybe I shouted too late.   :'(

This should be a great introduction to the soundworld of Hans Rott.  Unless anyone beats me to it, and they're very welcome, this will be followed by a summary of Rotts life, who he was, what he wanted, what affected him, the truth about his 'madness', what he thought of cheese, how his brother got shot, etc...exciting stuff...but I am wrapped up in another Hans Rott project at the moment (hint - see avatar), so it may be a day or two before I post it.  Meanwhile, enjoy Hans Rott and feel free to add to this...

listener

Who was his idol?   or  What god hath Rott? 
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

John Copeland

Updated info and video links direct to the RLPO website. 

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, John. I became aware of Hans Rott's symphony and his tragic fate many years ago. I even read a German study about him. But this is the first time I find his originality quite breathtaking. If he had lived, he would have been the 'third man' next to Strauss and Mahler. This Scherzo is astonishing. The only miscalculation is the over-use of the triangle. For the rest - chapeau! (Foreshadowings of Mahler's first two symphonies are readily recognizable. What was Gustav doing, borrowing (stealing?) from his dead friend?!)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Copeland

Quote from: Jezetha on February 24, 2010, 10:16:54 AM
If he had lived, he would have been the 'third man' next to Strauss and Mahler.
Au contraire, surely he would have developed to be the FIRST man, next to Strauss and Mahler.
QuoteThe only miscalculation is the over-use of the triangle.
The acoustics of the Philharmonia Hall give themselves well to the triangle.  Awww.   :(  I like triangles.  :'(
QuoteWhat was Gustav doing, borrowing (stealing?) from his dead friend?!)
My own belief is that Mahler saw in Rotts music the very spirit of what he was trying to achieve himself.  He didn't steal, he rose to what he found in the music of Hans Rott and went on to exemplify that in his own way.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jezetha on February 24, 2010, 10:16:54 AM
This Scherzo is astonishing. The only miscalculation is the over-use of the triangle.

It's even worse in the last movement. As Hurwitz says, "Perhaps his only original contribution....is an obbligato triangle part of positively stupefying persistence." I have a hard time listening to Segerstam's recording because the triangle sounds like a really bad case of tinnitus. Very irritating. Weigle's recording is much better. I'm not sure what's happening; either the recording engineer dampened it or Weigle had the percussionist simply not play for long stretches. In any case the ringing disappears and it's a blessed relief. I can actualy enjoy the "music" finally. And it is music I really enjoy--enough to own multiple versions (just ordered the CPO CD). Playing spot the influences is fun but the man was an original too. Not only Mahler but I swear Franz Schmidt must have seen the score before he wrote his First Symphony.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John on February 24, 2010, 12:53:48 PM
The acoustics of the Philharmonia Hall give themselves well to the triangle.  Awww.   :(  I like triangles.

It's an odd touch, though, especially considering that Bruckner (one of Rott's teachers and his main champion) used it so rarely.

Sarge

John Copeland

Sarge, I am pleased that you have been ordering Rott!
I am sorry neither you, Johan or that rogue Hurwitz like the incandesence of the triangle.   :'(   It is a tricky acoustical balance with that little instrument in this symphony, and I'm waiting to see what Dennis Russell Davies does with that in his next recorded performance too.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John on February 24, 2010, 01:13:01 PM
Sarge, I am pleased that you have been ordering Rott!

The CPO wll be my third recording of the Rott symphony. I also ordered the CD with the String Symphony and Quartet.

Really looking forward to hearing those.

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John on February 24, 2010, 12:53:48 PM
My own belief is that Mahler saw in Rotts music the very spirit of what he was trying to achieve himself.  He didn't steal, he rose to what he found in the music of Hans Rott and went on to exemplify that in his own way.

Your belief is correct, for if I remember correctly Mahler himself said something quite similar. Still - the Scherzo is original in a 'Rottian' way. I am struck by the harmonic daring and also by the rhythmic vitality, a sort of speeded-up Bruckner. Very exciting.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 24, 2010, 01:37:56 PM
The CPO wll be my third recording of the Rott symphony. I also ordered the CD with the String Symphony and Quartet.

Really looking forward to hearing those.

Please report back!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Copeland

Mahler on Rott:

"It is completely impossible to estimate what music has lost in him. His First Symphony...soars to such heights of genius that it makes him - without exaggeration - the founder of the New Symphony as I understand it...His innermost nature is so much akin to mine that he and I are like two fruits from the same tree, produced by the same soil, nourished by the same air. We have had an infinite amount in common."

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John on February 24, 2010, 02:07:06 PM
Mahler on Rott:

"It is completely impossible to estimate what music has lost in him. His First Symphony...soars to such heights of genius that it makes him - without exaggeration - the founder of the New Symphony as I understand it...His innermost nature is so much akin to mine that he and I are like two fruits from the same tree, produced by the same soil, nourished by the same air. We have had an infinite amount in common."

That's it.  :)

And now to bed, with Rawsthorne in my mp3 player...

Mirror Image

This may be of interest to Scots John (that is if he doesn't know about it already):

[asin]B007O40PN2[/asin]

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 06, 2012, 08:47:20 PM
This may be of interest to Scots John (that is if he doesn't know about it already):

[asin]B007O40PN2[/asin]

Just a reminder that this CD - with the Suite in B - is now available!   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 06, 2012, 08:47:20 PM

[asin]B007O40PN2[/asin]

Todd's Take
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Quote from: Scots John on February 24, 2010, 02:07:06 PM
Mahler on Rott:

That reminds me: did you ever get the issue of Listen Magazine?

eyeresist

Quote from: Scots John on February 24, 2010, 02:07:06 PM
Mahler on Rott:

Bear in mind that's Alma Mahler. ;)

jlaurson

Quote from: The new erato on June 22, 2012, 04:24:49 AM
She wanted to bed him?

I really hope not. She was five when Hans Rott died.

The new erato

Quote from: jlaurson on June 22, 2012, 04:48:14 AM
I really hope not. She was five when Hans Rott died.
I wouldn' put it past her.