La Taberna Maderna

Started by snyprrr, February 23, 2010, 08:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lescamil

Quote from: snyprrr on August 17, 2012, 08:22:26 PM
Maderna integrated the aleatory elements the most seamlessly of his contemporaries, perhaps?

I'm no Maderna expert, but aren't you forgetting about Lutoslawski?
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

snyprrr

Quote from: lescamil on August 17, 2012, 11:06:42 PM
I'm no Maderna expert, but aren't you forgetting about Lutoslawski?

I'm thinking Maderna's technique was more pervasive. Didn't WL just use this here and there? Most all of Maderna's orchestra in the oboe piece sounded slightly ad lib,... WL sounds nowhere near as pervasively dreamy as Maderna.

not edward

Quote from: snyprrr on August 18, 2012, 06:21:59 AM
I'm thinking Maderna's technique was more pervasive. Didn't WL just use this here and there? Most all of Maderna's orchestra in the oboe piece sounded slightly ad lib,... WL sounds nowhere near as pervasively dreamy as Maderna.
Nope, it's utterly critical in Lutoslawski; the interaction between a battuta and ad libitum in mature Lutoslawski can be regarded as a dialectical process somewhat akin to sonata form (particularly obviously in Webern's description of sonata form as a contrast between strict and free).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

Quote from: edward on August 18, 2012, 12:02:40 PM
Nope, it's utterly critical in Lutoslawski; the interaction between a battuta and ad libitum in mature Lutoslawski can be regarded as a dialectical process somewhat akin to sonata form (particularly obviously in Webern's description of sonata form as a contrast between strict and free).

I stand corrected. hmm...

petrarch

Been listening to this today. It's been years since I listened to Maderna so systematically. In short: Wow, just wow. These recordings are absolutely gorgeous.

[asin]B00320J6YG[/asin][asin]B00365QSNY[/asin][asin]B004QI14SO[/asin][asin]B006VCFCFE[/asin]
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on September 09, 2012, 12:38:45 PM
Been listening to this today. It's been years since I listened to Maderna so systematically. In short: Wow, just wow. These recordings are absolutely gorgeous.

[asin]B00320J6YG[/asin][asin]B00365QSNY[/asin][asin]B004QI14SO[/asin][asin]B006VCFCFE[/asin]

Ah, they're up to Vol.4!! You make them all look real tempting there all in a row. ;)

Hopefully the Violin Concerto will get the treatment.

snyprrr

Pessoa

I like Maderna more and more everyday. The Oboe concerti, Sinopoli´s recordings, his chamber and electronic music... it surrounds me like fresh and scattered rain of musical notes.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pessoa on November 10, 2013, 11:28:09 AM
I like Maderna more and more everyday. The Oboe concerti, Sinopoli´s recordings, his chamber and electronic music... it surrounds me like fresh and scattered rain of musical notes.

Maderna is definitely a composer 'under my radar.' I'm definitely going to be buying all of those Neos label recordings of his orchestral music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on September 10, 2012, 07:36:14 AM

Hopefully the Violin Concerto will get the treatment.

Speaking of the VC, Vol. 5 already available!

[asin]B00F4IEB2Q[/asin]

not edward

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 10, 2013, 12:36:08 PM
And with no less a soloist than Thomas Zehetmair playing too. Which is good news: I've heard a radio aircheck of him playing the piece and he makes a great case for it.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

Mirror Image

Quote from: edward on November 10, 2013, 12:45:08 PM
And with no less a soloist than Thomas Zehetmair playing too. Which is good news: I've heard a radio aircheck of him playing the piece and he makes a great case for it.

I'll definitely be digging into that concerto at some point along with a lot more of Maderna's music.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 10, 2013, 12:36:08 PM

[asin]B00F4IEB2Q[/asin]

I think I just came!! :P HOW LONG have we been waiting? tears of joy :'( :'(

Quote from: edward on November 10, 2013, 12:45:08 PM

yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

I haven't even gotten ONE CD is this Series, and now the $$$ output is pretty daunting. gaaaah >:D

Pessoa

Pessoa

not edward

Pessoa

Pessoa

I didn´t know his early works for orchestra until yesterday. I was very pleased with their fresh sounds and mysterious-like suggestions. They sound a recognisable Maderna alright. However, I could do without the Kafka recitative (I don´t like them).

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole