LvB string quartet Opus 131

Started by Herman, April 06, 2009, 03:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Yep, I haven't kept the red to double check, but if there isn't a clear difference I will eat my hat.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mandryka on March 13, 2019, 01:58:50 PM
Yep, I haven't kept the red to double check, but if there isn't a clear difference I will eat my hat.

Keep in mind I don't have your fancy class-A amp! I'm coping with bourgeois Marantz hardware.  :'(

aukhawk

If you have a secure ripper (preferably one that references the online AccurateRip database, but that's not essential) you can just rip a track off each version and compare the reporting.  If the 8-character CRC is identical for each rip, there has been no remastering.  If the CRCs are not identical, that doesn't really prove anything, but it does mean that remastering is at least a possibility.
It's common for example to rip a CD from a newly-issued box set and find that the CRC is identical to the original single issue from 30 years ago.

Mandryka

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 13, 2019, 02:01:46 PM
Keep in mind I don't have your fancy class-A amp! I'm coping with bourgeois Marantz hardware.  :'(

You will hear the difference, here's a review which conclusively proves I was, once again, right

Quote from: T Beers here https://www.amazon.com/Alban-Berg-Quartett-Wolfgang-Mozart/dp/B0019DM7Y4As marvelous as the later Alban Berg Quartet (ABQ, for short) became, I am still partial to the early 1970s recordings made by the original ABQ members for Teldec. All those recordings are collected in this set which, sad to say, becomes another bittersweet ABQ commemorative now that the group has decided to disband. Anyway, the original ABQ immediately established itself as a technically formidable ensemble with these Teldec recordings of string quartets by Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Brahms, Dvorak, Berg, Webern, and Urbanner. What becomes very apparent when you compare these recordings to later recordings by the ABQ on EMI is that the earlier ensemble produced a warmer, more typically Viennese sound. There is no lack of intellectual rigor in these Teldec performances, but the sound of the quartet, IMHO, is just more inviting. The discs in this handsome set include a complete survey of the Mozart 'Haydn' and 'Prussian' quartets and these performances can be directly compared with the later ABQ's superb -- but very different sounding -- EMI offerings. While I prefer these earlier recordings, and also prefer the performances of the three Brahms quartets over the later EMI set, I intend no disrespect toward those later recordings. My point is this: if you love the ABQ of those EMI recordings, do not by any means consider these earlier Teldec CDs to be mere duplicates; they stand on their own as marvelous documents of how special the ABQ was from its beginning. Also, I am happy to report that Teldec has remastered the original analog recordings and tamed the somewhat hard and shrill sound of earlier CD releases, while the program booklet features a fine retrospective essay on the ABQ by noted British critic Tully Potter. Final note: look at the asking price for this Teldec set, which is very nice indeed. So, "Hail and farewell, ABQ!" And thanks for these and so many other special memories of great music making.

I will investigate the pros and cons of the earlier and later recordings of the Mozart soon.

Finally, in London, after an appalling week of stormy, cold, damp, windy weather, the sun has come out . . . .  :) :) :) :) :)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: aukhawk on March 14, 2019, 01:12:07 AM
If you have a secure ripper (preferably one that references the online AccurateRip database, but that's not essential) you can just rip a track off each version and compare the reporting.  If the 8-character CRC is identical for each rip, there has been no remastering.  If the CRCs are not identical, that doesn't really prove anything, but it does mean that remastering is at least a possibility.
It's common for example to rip a CD from a newly-issued box set and find that the CRC is identical to the original single issue from 30 years ago.

He mentioned he did not keep the old release so the comparison would not be possible.

Quote from: Mandryka on March 14, 2019, 04:45:28 AM
You will hear the difference, here's a review which conclusively proves I was, once again, right

Yes, I saw that review, but I would not consider an amazon reviewer to be an infallible authority on such matters. I noted that the reviewer didn't clearly state the Teldec claimed it to be a new master from original tapes in the linear notes. It could be that Teldec just applied a little equalization to its existing master. If they remastered it, why don't the idiots mention that fact on the packaging? Anyway, I'm tempted to get it to hear for myself. Those recordings are important to me.

Mandryka

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 14, 2019, 11:40:17 PM
why don't the idiots mention that fact on the packaging?

I know, I had exactly the same thought yesterday.

71 dB

Listening to Guarneri Quartet on Philips (CD borrowed from a friend and I have to return it today). I really like the recorded sound. With headphones the sound is very good when I use -8 dB crossfeed. Without crossfeed headphone sound a bit claustrophobic, but relaxes and opens up nicely with crossfeed.

Comparing this to my Kodály Quartet disc and the character of music is surprisingly different. Kodály Quartet sounds distant and meditative in comparison. The Naxos disc also has worse spatiality, but sounds reasonable with about -4 dB crossfeed.

I like the Philips disc, but sadly seems OOP. So, that's that...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Jo498

The whole Guarneri (i.e. the later Philips cycle) was also on Brilliant, but this one is oop by now, too. There is another reissue of the complete set on eloquence and this is probably the cheapest option.
ASIN: B000O78KR4
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on March 26, 2019, 05:57:19 AM
The whole Guarneri (i.e. the later Philips cycle) was also on Brilliant, but this one is oop by now, too. There is another reissue of the complete set on eloquence and this is probably the cheapest option.
ASIN: B000O78KR4

Thanks! Yeah I figured the Brilliant set out myself. Also, Amazon.de has the original disc.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Jo498

There is another issue I did not mention because it is even more obscure. It's the one I have, inherited or grabbed in a bundle of used discs, I don't remember exactly), namely a cardboard double disc set with op.74/131 and 127/135, apparently a special issue for the German mailorder Zweitausendeins. Will listen to it later tonight.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: 71 dB on March 26, 2019, 03:57:35 AM
Listening to Guarneri Quartet on Philips (CD borrowed from a friend and I have to return it today). I really like the recorded sound. .

I like the Philips disc, but sadly seems OOP. So, that's that...

I can get it through Qobuz and I agree it sounds very good in the fugue, I haven't heard the rest yet. Thanks for mentioning it.

Mandryka

I've got a pretty good op 131 from Diotima Quartet. Does anyone know where I could have got it from? Honestly, Brooklyn Rider and Diotima are proving to be very rewarding in this music.

I'm sure I got hold of it after I saw it mentioned here, maybe by @amw