The Romantics in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 09, 2007, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Quote from: Que on June 03, 2007, 02:30:21 AM
fl.traverso, thanks for that! :)

That sample of the Chopin/ Boegner sounds bl***y marvelous. Not only the instrument but great playing as well. The combination makes for the most bubling and sparkling, fresh and crystal clear Chopin I've heard.

Should be mandatory listing for members who think it doesn't really matter if all music is played on a Steinway and that modern Steinways all sound the same....  8)

Q

But modern Steinways do all sound the same. ;)

George

Quote from: Que on June 03, 2007, 02:30:21 AM
fl.traverso, thanks for that! :)

That sample of the Chopin/ Boegner sounds bl***y marvelous. Not only the instrument but great playing as well. The combination makes for the most bubling and sparkling, fresh and crystal clear Chopin I've heard.

Should be mandatory listing for members who think it doesn't really matter if all music is played on a Steinway and that modern Steinways all sound the same....  8)

Q

I agree that it is nice. Sounds too closely miked, however. I can hear all kinds of extraneous noises.  :-\

FideLeo

Quote from: George on June 03, 2007, 06:02:48 AM
I agree that it is nice. Sounds too closely miked, however. I can hear all kinds of extraneous noises.  :-\

That's why all modern Steinways sound the same.  No extraneous noises!  :D

BTW, that preludeklassiekmuziek.nl (provider of the sound sample file) is a real HIP joint  ;D   Worth checking out. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bonehelm

Quote from: Bunny on June 03, 2007, 05:56:41 AM
But modern Steinways do all sound the same. ;)

Hamburgers and New Yorkers don't sound the same. (Did I just say hamburger? :P)

FideLeo

Quote from: Bonehelm on June 03, 2007, 09:24:59 AM

Both Hamburgers and New Yorkers from the Steinway family are such huge black heavy
hammering machines, I always visualise a concert pianist onstage like Siegfried fighting
a monstrous dragon several times his size.  ;D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bunny

Quote from: Bonehelm on June 03, 2007, 09:24:59 AM

I shall amend the statement: All Hamburg D Steinways sound the same.  All NY Steinways of the same size sound the same.  All Boston Pianos sound the same.  All Yamahas sound the same.  All Baldwins sound the same.  I don't know about Bechsteins, but I suspect that all Bechsteins of the same size sound the same as well.  Nowadays, when piano makers craft a piano, they want one piano to sound as much like every other piano they manufacture as they can possibly make it sound.  This is what a piano maker defines as consistency of quality.  You won't find a little old piano maker in a workshop working on carving out a sound board, seeking out rare and exotic woods for the case and then lovingly decorating it with designs in marquetry or even painting it with garlands and cupids.  He's not going to experiment with different type of alloys for strings or try out different materials for hammers or dampers, or tinker with actions to see what he can make that will be new and revolutionary. He's not going to experiment because as far as he knows, the technology has already achieved its ultimate form.  Pianos aren't made so that each one will have a unique tone.  Harpsichords on the other hand were individually crafted with differences in design that give each one a slightly different tone.  That's something that's been lost for pianos. 

FideLeo

http://www.janvermeulen.be/

Four discs worth of Schubert solo music on a Nanette Streicher instrument.
(Nanette Streicher was the daughter of Andreas Stein of Augsburg who
married Andreas Streicher and opened a new workshop in Vienna in early
19th century.  Her instruments were said to be among Beethoven's favourite.)

Haven't heard any of this - indeed the second volume was only recently
released.  But his previous Schubert recordings on the Vanguard Classic
(which I have not heard either) and Beethoven (cello sonata 3 and variations
with Wieland Kuijken, which I have heard) seem to be very favourably
reviewed. 

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on June 07, 2007, 04:00:18 AM
http://www.janvermeulen.be/

Four discs worth of Schubert solo music on a Nanette Streicher instrument.

Haven't heard any of this - indeed the second volume was only recently
released. 

Just happened to see volume I this week in the shop, but didn't listen to it.

samples here or here

I'll be following this with interest since I'm currently going through Paul Badura-Skoda's Schubert sonatas cycle (Arcana)!  :)
I discovered that Jan Vermeulen earlier recorded a large amount of Schubert (7 CD's) on the Belgian label Passacaille, now probably inactive/defunct - their website doesn't seem updated after 2005...

BTW- inspired by another thread: does anyone know of a HIP recording of the Chopin concertos?

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on June 07, 2007, 11:53:14 PM

BTW- inspired by another thread: does anyone know of a HIP recording of the Chopin concertos?

Q

There are always the recordings by E. Ax/ MacKerras/ OAE on Sony.  I have them but really never care for them that much at all.  I feel that Ax was not discovering anything (as he implies in the booklet essays) with his HIP experience and MacKerras didn't help that much even though it is obvious that he tried.  Not recommended by me.

Janusz Olejniczak made a HIP recording of the Concerto 2 in a "reconstruction album" for Chopin's 1830 concert in Warsaw:

amazonuklink

In comparison to Ax, Olejniczak's playing is much more alive to the expressive possibilities afforded by an Erard fortepiano in good condition, and Christoph Spering's direciton makes the orchestral part sound quite exciting as well - not just some foil for the soloist's show. 

I know of a Nimbus recording of Concerto I (Christopher Kite/Roy Goodman) but it is not really adequate enough in the technical departments (quality of the instrument/playing/sound) for a trackdown. 

Bruggen recently recorded both concertos with Dang Thai Son - not widely distributed but apparently available directly from Orchestra of the 18th Century... :) 

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on June 08, 2007, 01:03:20 AM

The Dang Thai Son/ Brüggen Chopin seems also to be availble at the Polish Fryderyk Chopin Institute ($18), apparently live recordings.
Too bad they don't provide sound samples...

Shipping charges by the Chopin Institute are 29Euro for one disc! :o  :(

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on June 08, 2007, 01:19:36 AM
And 20 euros to an European destination - for a 13 euros CD! ;D
I'd better mail the Orchestra then... :)

Q

Expecting your review very soon...  ;)

Bunny

Quote from: fl.traverso on June 08, 2007, 12:49:43 AM

There are always the recordings by E. Ax/ MacKerras/ OAE on Sony.  I have them but really never care for them that much at all.  I feel that Ax was not discovering anything (as he implies in the booklet essays) with his HIP experience and MacKerras didn't help that much even though it is obvious that he tried.  Not recommended by me.

Janusz Olejniczak made a HIP recording of the Concerto 2 in a "reconstruction album" for Chopin's 1830 concert in Warsaw:

amazonuklink

In comparison to Ax, Olejniczak's playing is much more alive to the expressive possibilities afforded by an Erard fortepiano in good condition, and Christoph Spering's direciton makes the orchestral part sound quite exciting as well - not just some foil for the soloist's show. 

I know of a Nimbus recording of Concerto I (Christopher Kite/Roy Goodman) but it is not really adequate enough in the technical departments (quality of the instrument/playing/sound) for a trackdown. 

Bruggen recently recorded both concertos with Dang Thai Son - not widely distributed but apparently available directly from Orchestra of the 18th Century... :) 

Excellent Largo as I recall. ;)

paul

Quote from: Bunny on April 09, 2007, 12:21:12 PM
That Trout Quintet is also available in SACD/hybrid but you have to order it from Japan. For some reason it was not released in the USA except in stereo to my knowledge.  Sound quality is excellent, too.

Another great L'Archibudelli recording which is very available in Asia and still available in Europe and the USA is the Dvorák New World and Old World Quintets.  That has become my favorite recording of those works.  I think it's the gut strings that gives it the extra warmth.  And I have been enjoying their recording of Bruckner which is now also available as an Arkivmusic cd licensed copy. Their Brahms String Sestets is also excellent and still widely available as well. :D

Does the New World and Old World Quintets CD include the Op.77 Quintet? I'm very interested in hearing that CD now!

Que

I've been exploring some HIP recordings with Dutch violinist Leertouwer, after I found his Beethoven sonatas very successful. A strong recommendation for this recording of the Mendelssohn piano trios. I never heard such fresh, natural, and engaging performances. Perfectly balanced in terms of sound - thanks to the period instruments, which include an Erard grand piano from 1837. Perfect collaboration between the players. This easily replaces the performance by the Florestan Trio (Hyperion) as my favourite recording.
Hardly any on-line audio samples around, so I've uploaded two mvts.

Opus 49 - 1st mvt

Opus 66 - 3rd mvt

Q

hautbois

Thanks Q for reminding me about this thread!

3 or 4 years ago, when i was still less akeen towards standard repertoire, the only thing i could tell of , Mendelssohn was his Violin concerto, which i came to appreciate as a piece of muzak (boy how wrong was i until i discovered Mullova/Gardiner HIP!). How things have changed, and today, Mendelssohn is one of my favourite composers, and i am just starting to discover his basic output. If one knows his 2 magnum piano concertos,

(Perahia, Marriner/ASMF, NOT HIP, but SOOOOO GOOD)
one should be able to appreciate the fact that he has 2 lesser known works of equal or even better quality:

I admit that the reason why i acquired this is because it has HIP stamped all over it (Concert Koln is one of my favourite ensembles, whether it be period or non), and i am a big fan of that HIP sound, whether or not it helps in a performance. I am also not an expert in HIP, sorry to say, but surely, these guys know how to play Mendelssohn's music. We all know his signature gestures when it comes to style, and these 2 concertos are absolutely typical Mendelssohn - skillfully written, full of bravura, propulsion that is similar to the Mannheim rocket, full of ideas etc. I actually like the sound of the fortepiano, because modern pianists tend to take advantage of the modern piano and play with less articulation (in reference to speech), and a fortepiano, no matter what you do, it always says something clearly, which is another reason to love and hate the harpsichord. I tend to fall in love with performances that have something to say, to be extremely extrovert, to be on the edge, which is why i adore Harnoncourt. The Concerto Koln does all the things necessary for me to fall in love with their playing, and Andreas Staier is THE man. In this recording, being the virtuoso IS serving the purpose of the music, and i am not ashamed to say that. Same applies to violinist Rainer Kussmaul. I don't know if this is OOP, but if you see it by any chance, grab it instantly!

Howard, happy birthday to me.

karlhenning

hautbois

Quote from: Harry on September 11, 2007, 09:40:35 AM

Do you have your birthday my friend?
Well in that case

Thankyou very much!  ;D

Howard

George

Quote from: hautbois on September 11, 2007, 09:52:21 AM
Thankyou very much!  ;D

Howard

Please join our Virgo gang!  8)

Happy birthday, mine was 9 days ago.

Brian

Quote from: masolino on June 03, 2007, 01:20:59 AM
Try this

http://www.preludeklassiekemuziek.nl/stream/nov06_chopin_calliope_B.html

Janusz Olejniczak also recorded a few excellent HIP Chopin recordings for Opus 111.  Mazurkas, Polonaises, in addition to several mixed programs.  "At Home" from the label's Chopin series was also used as the OST for the film "La note bleu" in which Olejniczak plays Chopin himself  ;D  (Leonhardt starred as Bach himself in a film, too.  Never saw the film though.) Coin conducts the Larghetto from cto2.

I've just listened to that sample and also to his C sharp minor Op. Post., and have only one question - where on earth did you find this disc??

FideLeo

Quote from: Drasko on September 13, 2007, 01:37:25 PM
Don't think masolino is still around. You can find the disc at crotchet

No I am not around often enough to post now, but it feels great to be remembered
by some.  :)  I have enjoyed the Boegner recording for over a decade - since
when it was first available at full price I think :-\   That would make me very hipped in my
listening to romantic music I know, but I am very proud of it :)   

I have just listened to this and can heartily recommend it to all.  Beautiful, clean sound,
and the near ideal seperation of five instruments makes the composer's magical writing
in harmonies quite palpable.  Mmm... :)