The Romantics in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 09, 2007, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The One

Quote from: king ubu on April 19, 2015, 01:34:41 PM
I have that Archibudelli disc as well - nice!

Some other (semi-)HIP Dvorák (don't have any of these):

[asin]B0000017S7[/asin]
[asin]B000024SG3[/asin]
[asin]B002G1TSA4[/asin]
[asin]B001HAWURS[/asin]
[asin]B006MXX8V2[/asin]
[asin]B0038AMBT2[/asin]
[asin]B00166QJXO[/asin]
[asin]B0000VCSFE[/asin]

Would love to get the Michiels, but it's way too pricey alas.

Now, where are you with HIP Dvorak recordings?

milk

milk

Quote from: The One on January 27, 2018, 05:17:33 AM
which single recording would you recommend, milk
I don't listen to a lot of romantic music these days. The Dumky Trio is very famous. I feel unqualified to say whether this period performance is up to snuff or not. However, of the two chamber recordings that I have on period instruments, I like the quintet offering because it also has Bagatelles Op. 47. That's a strange and very appealing piece of music which includes a harmonium.

The One

Could you update the recent Dvorak PI recordings you enjoyed here, please?

king ubu

Well, as I said privately a few days ago, I do like the Archibudelli disc:

Also Jan Michiels disc of piano music is pretty nice:

He's got a fine recent Dvorák/Janácek disc out on fuga libera (with, as far as Dvorák is concerned, mostly - or only, didn't double check - partial re-recordings), but that one uses a regular Steinway (D, I think? It's mentioned in the booklet).

I really enjoy Michiels' recordings (with and without Inge Spinette), but Dvorák's piano music is not exactly my favourite ... working on it though  :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Mandryka

Op 130/133 from the Mosaiques, The cavatina sounds less  sentimental than usual, less like an Edwardian gentleman crying into his sleeve. And the grosse fugue sounds more poised and less hectic and angry than usual. It's an interesting way of making 130/133 work,  but unlikely to please people with a romantic tendency, who presumably want max sentimentality and agression. But then they may not be able to get a coherent quartet.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

San Antone

Schubert, Chopin & Brahms: Late Piano Works
Maria Gabryś (fortepiano)

Good program by a pianist unfamiliar to me. 

Brahms: Klavierstücke (6), Op. 118
Chopin: Largo in E flat major, BI 109
Chopin: Mazurka No. 43 in G minor, Op. 67 No. 2
Chopin: Mazurka No. 45 in A minor, Op. 67 No. 4
Chopin: Mazurka No. 49 in F minor, Op. 68 No. 4
Schubert: Klavierstücke (3), D946

The acoustic takes some getting used to.  Not sure about the historical accuracy of playing Brahms and late Chopin on a fortepiano, but the instrument she uses has a bigger sound that I associate with a fortepiano.  I don't have access to the booklet, and don't know what instrument she is using.

Not bad, but certainly not a first choice, although it is very nice to have all these works on one recording.

Que

Quote from: San Antone on June 07, 2018, 05:26:33 PM
Not sure about the historical accuracy of playing Brahms and late Chopin on a fortepiano, but the instrument she uses has a bigger sound that I associate with a fortepiano.  I don't have access to the booklet, and don't know what instrument she is using.

Not bad, but certainly not a first choice, although it is very nice to have all these works on one recording.

According to the net, it is a Blüthner grand from 1874....

Which is indeed no fortepiano at all, but an early piano(forte)... I think.

Q

San Antone

Quote from: Que on June 07, 2018, 10:17:29 PM
According to the net, it is a Blüthner grand from 1874....

Which is indeed no fortepiano at all, but an early piano(forte)... I think.

Q

Thanks for doing my homework  ;)   so the cover art is misleading. 

Que

Quote from: San Antone on June 07, 2018, 11:29:58 PM
Thanks for doing my homework  ;)   so the cover art is misleading.

Very! I guess someone thought that any period instrument must be a "fortepiano"....

I dug a bit deeper:

Blüthner patent action

These are unique to Blüthner and date from about 1885 to 1915.These are the older ones dating from about 1880 to 1924. The action is simpler in design than the normal roller action found in nearly all other pianos. It has the advantage of being smoother, usually lighter. The action doesn't repeat as fast as the roller action, but this is not noticeable unless playing very fast repetition

Q

Brian

Next month Naxos will have an album of Schumann chamber music on period instruments, including many premiere HIP recordings. The ringleader, and author of a very interesting booklet essay, is Finnish usually-harpsichordist-this-time-pianist Aapo Häkkinen.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573589

milk

Quote from: Brian on July 02, 2018, 05:50:49 AM
Next month Naxos will have an album of Schumann chamber music on period instruments, including many premiere HIP recordings. The ringleader, and author of a very interesting booklet essay, is Finnish usually-harpsichordist-this-time-pianist Aapo Häkkinen.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573589
looks interesting.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: The One on February 14, 2018, 07:17:43 AM

Not often you see a Dvorak 9th with no coupling. How are these by the way? Are they using instruments from Dvorak's time?

Que

A new HIP recording of Brahms' Requiem:

[asin]B07KM16VR3[/asin]
Q

milk

I believe what we have here is a period performance of Beethoven's violin concerto. I'm not knowledgeable enough of this genre to comment on how successful this is but I'm enjoying it anyhow.

Que

Quote from: milk on December 31, 2018, 01:36:49 AM

I believe what we have here is a period performance of Beethoven's violin concerto. I'm not knowledgeable enough of this genre to comment on how successful this is but I'm enjoying it anyhow.

Indeed!  :)
For any newcomer it will be hard to compete will Thomas Zehetmair, who kind of nailed the piece with Frans Brüggen... They later did the same with Mozart's concertos. Epic performances IMO.

Q

Florestan

Quote from: Que on December 31, 2018, 01:48:50 AM
Indeed!  :)
For any newcomer it will be hard to compete will Thomas Zehetmair, who kind of nailed the piece with Frans Brüggen... They later did the same with Mozart's concertos. Epic performances IMO.

Q

Sorry to be a New Year's party spoiler but when it comes to nailing Beethoven's VC, there is absolutely no competition whatsoever to Bronislaw Huberman / George Szell / Vienna PO, rec. 1934. One doesn't get more period than that!  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy