The Romantics in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 09, 2007, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

milk

Quote from: Brian on January 22, 2021, 08:06:35 PM
Is that a new or recent release?
I think it's a couple of years old. Maybe from 2017.

milk

staxomega

Does anyone know if this Jorg Demus recording of Fantasie in C came out on CD? Or any other recommendations for period instrument performances? Thanks. 

Jo498

I cannot answer these questions, just point out that the Demus "Schumann Box" that was out on different labels (Nuova Era?) is all on modern instruments as far as I recall, so not an option to get that one. (Several Schubert recordings on old instruments appeared on deutsche harmonia mundi but I also do not remember any solo Schumann.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on March 21, 2021, 02:16:03 PM
Does anyone know if this Jorg Demus recording of Fantasie in C came out on CD? Or any other recommendations for period instrument performances? Thanks. 

I have a transfer, which I can let you have. I do not believe it has ever been commercially transferred.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Brian

Chiaroscuro Quartet is recording Beethoven Op. 18 for BIS.

milk

You can kind of get the picture from the cover; I don't have notes, just streaming. But maybe they got the actual setlist from this supposed gathering at Proust's crib. These musicians sport an Erard and a Stradivarius, some kind of famous one from a museum, respectively. BBC gives this a stingy 3 out of 5 stars for performance. Gramaphone gives it a generous not-to-be-missed review. I'm leaning towards gramaphone. The music is tres cool and it's shorter than a Proust novel, so there's that. 

milk

vers la flamme

Not period instruments, but Harnoncourt's Amsterdam Schubert cycle is a killer, and sounds kind of "historically informed".

San Antone

Gottschalk | Music for Piano
Lambert Orkis performs on a 1865 Chickering concert grand piano

milk

I'm enjoying this. He uses an 1855 Erard. It's a lovely-sounding instrument. Well-balanced.

Brian

Does anyone know what piano Zoltan Kocsis uses on his 1980s Philips recital of the Chopin waltzes? I listened to it today and the piano, especially sounds the bass, sounds like it's from before World War I, maybe around 1880-1905. Certainly not from Chopin's time but it does not sound like a "new" 1980s piano.

(By the way, it's an extraordinary recital.)

JBS

First listen tonight

The cello sonatas were interesting and involving. Not my favorite Beethoven, but these sounded like different works than I remember from previous recordings.

The Bagatelles were underpowered, boring, and crying out to be played on a Steinway.

So a very mixed bag, and a definite miss by Staier.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

milk

Quote from: JBS on June 28, 2022, 07:17:36 PM
First listen tonight

The cello sonatas were interesting and involving. Not my favorite Beethoven, but these sounded like different works than I remember from previous recordings.

The Bagatelles were underpowered, boring, and crying out to be played on a Steinway.

So a very mixed bag, and a definite miss by Staier.
I wouldn't say Staier is representative of all period performance. There must be some way to enjoy the music on the pianos Beethoven wrote them, at least a little, which is why I think the other options are worth it. There are lots of options on period instruments.

DavidW

Beethoven is a classical era composer FYI.

JBS

Quote from: milk on June 29, 2022, 05:39:08 AM
I wouldn't say Staier is representative of all period performance. There must be some way to enjoy the music on the pianos Beethoven wrote them, at least a little, which is why I think the other options are worth it. There are lots of options on period instruments.

Naturally. I have Brautigam's full set, and there's nothing wrong with his performance. It's Staier's way of playing that I didn't like: it sounds more appropriate to a modern grand than any period instrument, which is why I referenced Steinway.

Quote from: DavidW on June 29, 2022, 05:56:14 AM

I think of him as both, or as the transition point between Classical and Romantic. And most of the works on this CD are mid to late Beethoven: the cello sonatas are from 1815, the second set of Bagatelles from 1823. It's only some of the Opus 119 Bagatelles that date to c 1805.

Iota

Quote from: JBS on June 29, 2022, 09:10:01 AM
Quote from: DavidW on June 29, 2022, 05:56:14 AM

I think of him as both, or as the transition point between Classical and Romantic. And most of the works on this CD are mid to late Beethoven: the cello sonatas are from 1815, the second set of Bagatelles from 1823. It's only some of the Opus 119 Bagatelles that date to c 1805.

+1

Que

JBS

Quote from: Que on June 29, 2022, 01:08:49 PM
To avoid this issue, Beethoven has his own thread....  ;)

Beethoven in Period Performances

Forgot about that thread.
I jusr reposted my original post there.