The Romantics in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 09, 2007, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: Bulldog on January 28, 2011, 10:23:20 PM
Do you recall the aspects of the Chandos that you preferred?

No. It's more like a draw for me.  Neither stands out for me, and I didn't take either with me when I had to choose.  I picked the Michelangelo for an example when Lethe asked (you are welcome Lethe  ;))  because somebody already uploaded it to youtube. 

ps.  Do remember that the Michelangelo has an overall warmer sound.  The Amon Ra disc sounded puny and a bit metallic (typical of many non-recent digital recordings) on my Stax headphones. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: masolino on January 28, 2011, 09:24:48 PM
It's this one:
La gaia scienza's recording of the quartet is on this one, but I have not tried nor heard it (mainly due to the undesirable coupling of Uri Caine.)

[asin]B00002DEDC[/asin]

That is a really great performance, but not only undesirable because of the coupling with Uri Caine but even spoiled by mixing the tracks, which could have been overcome by programming the CD player in able to hear the Schumann uninterrupted. However, in one instance the music of Caine and the piano quartet run over into each other. So, a real major f*up! :o ??? ::)

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on January 29, 2011, 03:08:47 AM
That is a really great performance, but not only undesirable because of the coupling with Uri Caine but even spoiled by mixing the tracks, which could have been overcome by programming the CD player in able to hear the Schumann uninterrupted. However, in one instance the music of Caine and the piano quartet run over into each other. So, a real major f*up! :o ??? ::)

Q

That's what I have heard about the disc as well.  Stopped me dead right in the tracks to buy it.  W&W have some strange ideas sometimes.

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bulldog

Quote from: masolino on January 28, 2011, 10:44:00 PM
No. It's more like a draw for me.  Neither stands out for me, and I didn't take either with me when I had to choose.  I picked the Michelangelo for an example when Lethe asked (you are welcome Lethe  ;))  because somebody already uploaded it to youtube. 

ps.  Do remember that the Michelangelo has an overall warmer sound.  The Amon Ra disc sounded puny and a bit metallic (typical of many non-recent digital recordings) on my Stax headphones.

Yes, the Chandos did have the warmer/richer sound.  Since I found that this richer sound blurred the musical lines, the Amon Ra presented the better soundstage.

Well, I'm sad to hear that the Amon Ra was not to your liking.  Seems that you and I often have different views of recordings we both own.

FideLeo

Quote from: Bulldog on January 29, 2011, 08:03:10 AM
Well, I'm sad to hear that the Amon Ra was not to your liking.  Seems that you and I often have different views of recordings we both own.

Playback equipments often make a huge difference as they can radically change the character of a recording.  We can't possibly have listened to these recordings with the same sound system or same pair of ears. 

Bulldog

Quote from: masolino on January 29, 2011, 02:47:35 PM
Playback equipments often make a huge difference as they can radically change the character of a recording.  We can't possibly have listened to these recordings with the same sound system or same pair of ears.

I always listen to recordings I review on three or four different sound systems, so it must be the ears.

FideLeo

Quote from: Bulldog on January 29, 2011, 02:50:38 PM
I always listen to recordings I review on three or four different sound systems, so it must be the ears.

I am not so sure.  There are virtually endless ways of building a sound system.

FideLeo

'Norrington' in the Czech Republic: Marek Štryncl and his enlarged period instrument ensemble Musica Florea play Dvořák

http://www.youtube.com/v/-hxlik8f0jc

[asin]B0038AMBT2[/asin]

(purchasable from Amazon uk)

Superhorn

Gadzooks ! Philippe Herreweghe has just come out with an HIP recording of the Mahler 4th with his Champs Elysees orchestra. David Hurwitz at classicstoday.com thinks it's an awful performance and tears it apart.But I'm still curious to hear it,to find out what it sounds like.Apparently Herreweghe is planning to give the same treatment to the other 8 Mahler symphonies. Will"wonders"ever cease?
What next? "authentic performances of the Richard Strauss tone poems, and an HIP Sacre du Printemps to celelbrate the centennial of that seminal work?

Bulldog

Quote from: masolino on January 29, 2011, 02:52:51 PM
I am not so sure.  There are virtually endless ways of building a sound system.

That leaves us nowhere - so long.

FideLeo

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

FideLeo

Quote from: Opus106 on January 30, 2011, 09:29:52 PM
Neato!

Thanks!  It's good to know that we are not really O.D.'d on the anniversaries of all major composers yet.

Lethevich

I picked this up cheaply in a second hand store, and while I doubt I can offer any interesting observations, this thread seems ideal to point out its existence.

[asin]B000006O3P[/asin]

On the back cover each piece has the piano it is played on listed - there are about 6 in total raging from 1800-1840. It looks like a nice collection.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

FideLeo

Quote from: Lethe on January 31, 2011, 05:37:14 AM
On the back cover each piece has the piano it is played on listed - there are about 6 in total raging from 1800-1840. It looks like a nice collection.

Most of instruments Burnett plays on his recordings come from the Finchcocks collection.  You can see from the list in the wikipedia article that it contains quite a few instruments.  Among other professional fortepianists in UK, Linda Nicholson also has a large personal collection of original instruments.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Superhorn on January 30, 2011, 06:50:34 AM
   Gadzooks ! Philippe Herreweghe has just come out with an HIP recording of the Mahler 4th with his Champs Elysees orchestra. David Hurwitz at classicstoday.com thinks it's an awful performance and tears it apart.But I'm still curious to hear it,to find out what it sounds like.Apparently Herreweghe is planning to give the same treatment to the other 8 Mahler symphonies. Will"wonders"ever cease?
What next? "authentic performances of the Richard Strauss tone poems, and an HIP Sacre du Printemps to celelbrate the centennial of that seminal work?

I'm waiting for HIP Boulez.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

FideLeo

Quote from: Superhorn on January 30, 2011, 06:50:34 AM
Philippe Herreweghe has just come out with an HIP recording of the Mahler 4th with his Champs Elysees orchestra.

Love the idea; wonder when the other recordings will be released.  I do like Slowik's recording of this work (chamber version) on PI.

[asin]B0000CERI4[/asin]

http://www.youtube.com/v/xvZlNiOLVl4

Opus106

Quote from: masolino on February 01, 2011, 04:26:29 AM
Love the idea; wonder when the other recordings will be released.  I do like Slowik's recording of this work (chamber version) on PI.

Why do you keep deleting and reposting your messages? ???

By the way, Herreweghe has also released Das Knaben Wunderhorn. It was a few years ago, and for HM.
Regards,
Navneeth

FideLeo

Quote from: Opus106 on February 01, 2011, 04:29:37 AM
Why do you keep deleting and reposting your messages? ???

By the way, Herreweghe has also released Das Knaben Wunderhorn. It was a few years ago, and for HM.

To attract attention?  Thank you for responding.  ;)

Yes I bought H's DKW but do not have it with me at the moment.  Note his new Mahler is on a label (Phi), apparently of his own.  He's a bit like Gardiner now. 

FideLeo

HIP Erik Satie.

[asin]B004754SG6[/asin]